• The KillerFrogs

Here is a scary realization...

Horny4TCU

Anderson and Fuente won't have Dalton, Curtis Clay, Bart Johnson, Jeremy Kerley, Evan Frosch, Jimmy Young, Marcus Cannon, and Jake Kirkpatrick... They will have their work cut out for them this offseason.

Let's hope they lose Shultz's play book in the process!

EDIT: another scary realization is that if Utah loses to AF next week, we will have no SOS to jump Boise.... Thinking of that makes me a sad Horned Frog.

StinnettFrog

Anderson and Fuente won't have Dalton, Curtis Clay, Bart Johnson, Jeremy Kerley, Evan Frosch, Jimmy Young, Marcus Cannon, and Jake Kirkpatrick... They will have their work cut out for them this offseason.

True but there will still be plenty of talent on the roster and all of these guys took over from someone before so I see no need to worry. As far as the playbook I would say another realization is that nobody here is qualified to judge how they are performing as offensive coordinators and since Patterson seems pleased I would guess the point is moot.

GO FROGS

Horny4TCU

True but there will still be plenty of talent on the roster and all of these guys took over from someone before so I see no need to worry. As far as the playbook I would say another realization is that nobody here is qualified to judge how they are performing as offensive coordinators and since Patterson seems pleased I would guess the point is moot.

GO FROGS

Plenty of talent is true, but experience isn't talent.... And Patterson was happy with the performance of Shultz for 8 years, if I remember correctly.

I'm not trying to be an Aggie here and fire the coaches after a couple of losses, but our OC's haven't had a "terrific" game since before the Fiesta Bowl. For the talent and experience we have... that's not a good thing!

PurplePutt

You are absolutely correct! Think we have the talent to fill the holes though. Next year's team will be very good.

freebird

Horny4TCU said:
NO

Why did we keep slamming our heads into an obvious wall.

Rushing
[font="verdana][size="2"]Team [/size][/font]
[font="verdana][size="2"]38 att [/size][/font]
[font="verdana][size="2"]108 ttl yds [/size][/font]
[font="verdana][size="2"]avg 2.8

The box was loaded, why didn't we adjust?
[/size][/font]
[font="verdana][size="3"]Looked like General Pickett was calling the plays.[/size][/font]
[font="verdana][size="3"] [/size][/font]

OmniscienceFrog

None of the losses, just the poor play calling. Are you happy with our OC's play calling?

Yeah, I'm happy with it. Of course if they'd call plays that score on every snap I'd be happier I guess. That seems to be what it would take to make you even a little bit happy about 'em.

Horny4TCU

Yeah, I'm happy with it. Of course if they'd call plays that score on every snap I'd be happier I guess. That seems to be what it would take to make you even a little bit happy about 'em.

Listen, I'm not unreasonable. I'm not being a fan with unreasonable expectations. However, when you watch an entire game, where the OCs call a game that should be completely different. I'm no expert or claiming to be one, but it doesn't take a football savant to say, "Give up the run up the gut, it's not working." We kept the same predictable plays the whole game... Yet on almost every play when we went deep, we scored. The end of the second quarter we scored twice in under a minute beating their players on every deep pass. Then the OCs don't make the adjustments at half time to do what works!

Frankly, the only game so far I have been happy with our OCs is the Baylor game. They seemed to have the talent prepared and the play calling stelar. They didn't call a play wrong in that game!

Tell me this, the zone read has worked every game extremely well. Why give it up today? Why do short side option twice this game? Why run up the gut almost every rushing play?

sous vide

Listen, I'm not unreasonable. ...

Why do short side option twice this game? Why run up the gut almost every rushing play?

I think I've seen it all now: Someone actually complaining about too few SSO calls!!! Given all the people on the line, I doubt the SSO would have been a great call, however.

CDAlexander

My two cents?

No, we are not quite playing to our offense capabilities.

However, if you are worried by comparing our score to Boise's over SJS today, please reconsider. BYU is bad this year, but not SJS bad. TCU and Boise's mutual opponents in Oregon St and Wyoming were beat soundly by both of the undefeateds.

In an honest comparison, I say the teams are about dead equal right now. Sure, I would probably take Kellen Moore over Andy at QB #1, but for some of the rest of the offense and a majority of the defense I would be hard pressed to pick blue over purple. The test will come with Nevada, AFA, and Utah. I like us over-taking Boise in the rankings is ours to lose, meaning a crappy win against AFA or Utah. We have to be dominate and convincing (and hope that Nevada can give Boise some trouble) with our offense's performance for the next two weeks.

Let's hope they get up for those games.

sous vide

My two cents?

No, we are not quite playing to our offense capabilities. . .

Probably. But someone reading some of the posters here would NEVER get the idea that the Frogs are the #7 scoring offense in the country.

CGP is looking for an offensive style that is just plain not what some fans are looking for. I'm for Coach P, personally, not the naysayers.

Horny4TCU

Probably. But someone reading some of the posters here would NEVER get the idea that the Frogs are the #7 scoring offense in the country.

CGP is looking for an offensive style that is just plain not what some fans are looking for. I'm for Coach P, personally, not the naysayers.

Watching the game today, or the Oregon St. game, or the CSU game, would you think we are the #7 scoring offense in the country?

sous vide

Watching the game today, or the Oregon St. game, or the CSU game, would you think we are the #7 scoring offense in the country?

I don't have to "think". I know. That's the difference between us on this point.

CGP plays a ball control, somewhat "boring" offense designed to shorten the game for the other side and maximize things for the D. He is pretty successful at it. The Frogs are #7 in scoring offense, #2 in total defense, #1 in scoring defense and #1 in time of possession. My take is that this actually is his plan. At least that's a good first hypothesis, I would think. Whether by reason of recruiting realities or personal disposition, his plan is absolutely NOT to have a quick-scoring explosive offense such as many here would desire, IMO.

Horny4TCU

I don't have to "think". I know. That's the difference between us on this point.

CGP plays a ball control, somewhat "boring" offense designed to shorten the game for the other side and maximize things for the D. He is pretty successful at it. The Frogs are #7 in scoring offense, #2 in total defense, #1 in scoring defense and #1 in time of possession. My take is that this actually is his plan. At least that's a good first hypothesis, I would think. Whether by reason of recruiting realities or personal disposition, his plan is absolutely NOT to have a quick-scoring explosive offense such as many here would desire, IMO.

Read what you wrote, sir. Now ask, what head coach wants their team to only score a field goal in the first quarter against a team that is only 2-4 for the season (BYU)? Or score 6 points in an entire half, against one of the worst teams in college football (CSU)?

If that is CGP plan, why did we score 3 touch downs in the first quarter of the Baylor game? Why is it against Wyoming we scored 4 touchdowns in the the first half?

Why do our OCs make such inconsistent calls? Why isn't a team, with so many seniors and so much experience starting half the games flat? The team should be fired up on both sides of the ball. I wear purple tinted glasses as much as the next guy, but I am complaining about a problem. I am happy with the wins and the defense and special teams, but our OCs are turrible!

I would be happy if we had a consistent offense. I don't care if we threw a 100 touchdowns today or 1 touchdown for the win. I care that we haven't showed great play calling for the talent we have. That we don't have a consistently great offensive game plan for every team. We may have beat OSU, CSU, BYU, and SMEW, but we didn't show the nation or our fans what the 4th ranked team or 7th ranked offense should do every game!

sous vide

Read what you wrote, sir. Now ask, . . . [lot of stuff about explosive, quick-scoring offense]

I've read the utterly consistent complaints for most of the past decade and a half about "incompetent, inconsistent OCs" at TCU. For my part, I think CGP knows what he wants and directs his OCs to give it to him. How that interacts with the other team on game day varies. How that interacts with fans desiring a different style really never does seem to vary at all.

added: On the down side, some of the more unsettling defeats of the past decade were to teams with offenses that could score quickly.But on balance I think CGP is on a pretty good track.

jack the frog

NO

Why did we keep slamming our heads into an obvious wall.

Rushing
[font="verdana][size="2"]Team [/size][/font]
[font="verdana][size="2"]38 att [/size][/font]
[font="verdana][size="2"]108 ttl yds [/size][/font]
[font="verdana][size="2"]avg 2.8

The box was loaded, why didn't we adjust?
[/size][/font]
[font="verdana][size="3"]Looked like General Pickett was calling the plays.[/size][/font]
[font="verdana][size="3"][/size][/font]

Considering all the injuries on the offensive line, and with the understanding that we are going to have to run the ball effectively with Air Force, Utah and a bowl in the future, maybe coach in trying to develop some continuity and get some reps for the new line-up in game situations.

I'm not sure what it would take to make some of our fan base happy. I reiterate, some of you people are going to regret not enjoying 2009-2010 when TCU is no longer ranked in the top 5 in the country ...

fanatical frog

It's always scary losing guys like the Schobels and the Washingtons and Hughes and on and on and on.....but we do it every year and (at least for the last few years) just seem to get better every year.

It's not accidental......Coach Patterson and staff have recruited increasingly better classes each year than the year before as our resume grows.

Like Duquesne Frog says.....I'm enjoying this year.....all the while, still looking forward to next year.