• The KillerFrogs

Has anyone seen my specialty plates?

bleedpurple

Upper or lower back nwla?

My wife is doing yoga training now to get certified to teach. I am not sure she ever will teach a class yoga is one of the way that she manages her pain while she is putting off getting a spinal fusion. She has not looked into cbd gummies but would be open to it.

nwlafrog

Upper or lower back nwla?

My wife is doing yoga training now to get certified to teach. I am not sure she ever will teach a class yoga is one of the way that she manages her pain while she is putting off getting a spinal fusion. She has not looked into cbd gummies but would be open to it.

My mid-upper back stays tight and uncomfortable almost daily with the occasional deep knot that doesn’t want to come out, but when my back goes out or when I am having the most severe pain it is usually my lower back. There are times when my upper back is so tight that it is miserable, though. Basically, my back just hurts a whole lot, a whole lot of the time.

bleedpurple

A
My mid-upper back stays tight and uncomfortable almost daily with the occasional deep knot that doesn’t want to come out, but when my back goes out or when I am having the most severe pain it is usually my lower back. There are times when my upper back is so tight that it is miserable, though. Basically, my back just hurts a whole lot, a whole lot of the time.
that sucks. My wife messed her back up in high school and she has been to a ton of drs. They have all said spinal fusion but she wants to try and wait until they are better at the procedure or they come up with something new. So it is yoga in the mean time...

Purp

As a PT myself, I support this message.
What about the chiro is to be avoided? I go once every two weeks bc if I don't go regularly I get debilitating pain totally out of the blue. I have a protrusion in the L5/S1, bulging in every other lumbar disc, and arthritis throughout the lumbar spine. After years of trying all sorts of things the thing that seems to help the most is staying aligned with the chiro. If I don't go regularly and stay misaligned for too long the inflammation gets out of hand and causes all sorts of pain. I literally get to where I can't walk.

I've heard all kinds of bad things about chiropractors, but my experience has been very good and effective. Might it just be that some are very good and others are very bad and you really want to make sure you stay away from the bad ones?

HFrog1999

What about the chiro is to be avoided? I go once every two weeks bc if I don't go regularly I get debilitating pain totally out of the blue. I have a protrusion in the L5/S1, bulging in every other lumbar disc, and arthritis throughout the lumbar spine. After years of trying all sorts of things the thing that seems to help the most is staying aligned with the chiro. If I don't go regularly and stay misaligned for too long the inflammation gets out of hand and causes all sorts of pain. I literally get to where I can't walk.

I've heard all kinds of bad things about chiropractors, but my experience has been very good and effective. Might it just be that some are very good and others are very bad and you really want to make sure you stay away from the bad ones?

I think you just answered your own question. You have to keep going back. A visit only temporarily solves the problem.

ATC Frog

You got the gist of it with your second paragraph. Much like every other healthcare professional (physician, PT, chiro, personal trainer, CrossFit coach, athletic trainer, etc) there a good ones and bad ones. IMO, the line is skewed towards the bad ones in both the CrossFit and chiro world, but that could just be my inherent bias against them.

There are some bat [ Finebaum ] crazy chiros out there that claim that their “adjustments” are a panacea and can cure everything from back pain to IBS to sinus problems. Also, their business model is a dream with consistent weekly (or more) visits throughout an entire year or more whereas PT is generally 4-8 weeks (depending on the injury/surgery)

In light of all that, I used to see a chiro back when I was in HS as my back was achy (likely from growth spurts) and I enjoyed going and getting “adjusted” (read: back/neck cracked/popped).

Purp

You got the gist of it with your second paragraph. Much like every other healthcare professional (physician, PT, chiro, personal trainer, CrossFit coach, athletic trainer, etc) there a good ones and bad ones. IMO, the line is skewed towards the bad ones in both the CrossFit and chiro world, but that could just be my inherent bias against them.

There are some bat [ steaming pile of Orgeron ] crazy chiros out there that claim that their “adjustments” are a panacea and can cure everything from back pain to IBS to sinus problems. Also, their business model is a dream with consistent weekly (or more) visits throughout an entire year or more whereas PT is generally 4-8 weeks (depending on the injury/surgery)

In light of all that, I used to see a chiro back when I was in HS as my back was achy (likely from growth spurts) and I enjoyed going and getting “adjusted” (read: back/neck cracked/popped).

I saw one of those quacks once at the FW VA clinic. Dude never asked me what my issue was, where my pain was, and to what extent I was experiencing it. Just told me to stand up straight while he straightened his arms and put his extended hands on my shoulders. He'd push down on one side and then the other and close one eye as if he were looking through a monocular scope to get a precise measurement. Did that from the front and then the back. Then he poked me in various places around the neck and ribs; I thought he was trying to tickle me. Occasionally he'd ask if I had any pain or discomfort in a particular area as he did this. Then he had me lay down on his table and popped my neck and then a couple spots in my back (upper and middle) and told me I should be perfectly back to normal by the next day, but if I still had issues to call back in a few days and set another appointment.

I told him my pain was in my lower back and, if he'd care to look at my file in the VA computer system he'd be able to see the various structural issues captured in the MRI taken directly beneath him. Then he adjusted my lower back and said to make a follow up appointment for the next week without actually looking at my scans or the radiology report from them. I went back to my civilian chiro after that even though I have to pay when I go to him. The guy at the VA was an absolute clown and I always pay to get medical care better and faster than what I get through the VA when it's not adequate the first time.

I don't see chiropractic care as anything more than a means to keeping my body aligned and getting out of extreme pain when flare-ups happen. I'm not expecting it to cure me permanently. I don't think that exists without surgery and I'm loathe to consider that option until it is absolutely necessary. I coincidentally just had an appointment last Friday at the VA with the physical medicine and rehab clinic regarding my back issues. It's only taken two years to get that appointment and I'd already paid for the same thing with my civilian chiro (whose wife is a PT and operates out of the same clinic he does). As you described I was on a 6-8 week program designed to teach me various stretches and resistance band movements that would help strengthen my core and promote flexibility. My issue is I don't have the discipline to complete those exercises and stretches daily so I tend to have more flare-ups than I might otherwise.

I'll likely start another 2 month training cycle with the VA PT and focus more on a program that I'll actually do. I'm probably going to end up going the yoga route. I really like CrossFit, but don't have the time for it and need something lower impact on my body. I would always go down to lower weights to ensure I maintained proper form through the end of the WOD so as to mitigate reinjury. It's great for developing and sustaining core strength, even at lower weights than prescribed, and it's perfect for a slug like me who responds well to coaching, yet can't seem to coach himself.

Even still, with the number of structural issues in my low back I likely still would have issues on occasion if I took perfect care of my back. As a result, I'll probably continue to go to the chiro every other week just to keep myself from getting too off kilter and to minimize the severity of flare-ups when/if they do happen. I've gotten them once or twice a quarter pretty consistently for about 5 years. I'll go from feeling good enough to play an entire season of outdoor soccer to unable to stand up from the toilet and unable to walk with a normal posture. No single movement or activity seems to trigger a flare-up either. Roughly half happen after some type of physical activity (sports or work on/around the house or setting up/tearing down a tailgate) while the other half happen in a time span where I haven't done any physical activity at all.

I saw one of those quacks once at the FW VA clinic. Dude never asked me what my issue was, where my pain was, and to what extent I was experiencing it. Just told me to stand up straight while he straightened his arms and put his extended hands on my shoulders. He'd push down on one side and then the other and close one eye as if he were looking through a monocular scope to get a precise measurement. Did that from the front and then the back. Then he poked me in various places around the neck and ribs; I thought he was trying to tickle me. Occasionally he'd ask if I had any pain or discomfort in a particular area as he did this. Then he had me lay down on his table and popped my neck and then a couple spots in my back (upper and middle) and told me I should be perfectly back to normal by the next day, but if I still had issues to call back in a few days and set another appointment.

I told him my pain was in my lower back and, if he'd care to look at my file in the VA computer system he'd be able to see the various structural issues captured in the MRI taken directly beneath him. Then he adjusted my lower back and said to make a follow up appointment for the next week without actually looking at my scans or the radiology report from them. I went back to my civilian chiro after that even though I have to pay when I go to him. The guy at the VA was an absolute clown and I always pay to get medical care better and faster than what I get through the VA when it's not adequate the first time.

I don't see chiropractic care as anything more than a means to keeping my body aligned and getting out of extreme pain when flare-ups happen. I'm not expecting it to cure me permanently. I don't think that exists without surgery and I'm loathe to consider that option until it is absolutely necessary. I coincidentally just had an appointment last Friday at the VA with the physical medicine and rehab clinic regarding my back issues. It's only taken two years to get that appointment and I'd already paid for the same thing with my civilian chiro (whose wife is a PT and operates out of the same clinic he does). As you described I was on a 6-8 week program designed to teach me various stretches and resistance band movements that would help strengthen my core and promote flexibility. My issue is I don't have the discipline to complete those exercises and stretches daily so I tend to have more flare-ups than I might otherwise.

I'll likely start another 2 month training cycle with the VA PT and focus more on a program that I'll actually do. I'm probably going to end up going the yoga route. I really like CrossFit, but don't have the time for it and need something lower impact on my body. I would always go down to lower weights to ensure I maintained proper form through the end of the WOD so as to mitigate reinjury. It's great for developing and sustaining core strength, even at lower weights than prescribed, and it's perfect for a slug like me who responds well to coaching, yet can't seem to coach himself.

Even still, with the number of structural issues in my low back I likely still would have issues on occasion if I took perfect care of my back. As a result, I'll probably continue to go to the chiro every other week just to keep myself from getting too off kilter and to minimize the severity of flare-ups when/if they do happen. I've gotten them once or twice a quarter pretty consistently for about 5 years. I'll go from feeling good enough to play an entire season of outdoor soccer to unable to stand up from the toilet and unable to walk with a normal posture. No single movement or activity seems to trigger a flare-up either. Roughly half happen after some type of physical activity (sports or work on/around the house or setting up/tearing down a tailgate) while the other half happen in a time span where I haven't done any physical activity at all.

Slow Monday?

Purp

Slow Monday?
New job. Slow almost every day. I get a lot done for 3-4 hours a day and the rest of the time is kinda cruise control. It was out of control when I started in November so after a couple months of getting things right and putting better processes in place things have smoothed out nicely. Now I just find opportunities to improve and work on those ideas most of the time while my team executes the daily/weekly routine tasks.

Peacefrog

Degenerate
New job. Slow almost every day. I get a lot done for 3-4 hours a day and the rest of the time is kinda cruise control. It was out of control when I started in November so after a couple months of getting things right and putting better processes in place things have smoothed out nicely. Now I just find opportunities to improve and work on those ideas most of the time while my team executes the daily/weekly routine tasks.

Well, I generally come in at least fifteen minutes late, ah, I use the side door - that way Lumbergh can't see me, heh heh - and, uh, after that I just sorta space out for about an hour.

Bob Porter : Da-uh? Space out?

Yeah, I just stare at my desk; but it looks like I'm working. I do that for probably another hour after lunch, too. I'd say in a given week I probably only do about fifteen minutes of real, actual, work.

HFrog1999

Well, I generally come in at least fifteen minutes late, ah, I use the side door - that way Lumbergh can't see me, heh heh - and, uh, after that I just sorta space out for about an hour.

Bob Porter : Da-uh? Space out?

Yeah, I just stare at my desk; but it looks like I'm working. I do that for probably another hour after lunch, too. I'd say in a given week I probably only do about fifteen minutes of real, actual, work.

tenor.gif