• The KillerFrogs

Has anyone seen my specialty plates?

Surfrog

"How will you become if you don’t confront and embrace what scares you?

What would we be without fear and how we respond to it?

I see too many folks afraid to be afraid and compounding it by refusing to acknowledge or admit their fear. We are all scared. “No Fear” is a joke and no one’s fear is unique. Neither is the posturing and pretending that shouts from a big mouth on top of a puffed-out chest, “I ain’t skeert.” That’s just funny. And pathetic.

Because whoever refuses to be scared will never attempt anything that causes real fear, anything where success is neither guaranteed or likely, anything meaningful.

If it matters you’ll be scared when you try it. And if it matters you have to try it."
- WFMFT
#MorningThoughts

Purp

I see too many folks afraid to be afraid and compounding it by refusing to acknowledge or admit their fear. We are all scared. “No Fear” is a joke and no one’s fear is unique. Neither is the posturing and pretending that shouts from a big mouth on top of a puffed-out chest, “I ain’t skeert.” That’s just funny. And pathetic.

Because whoever refuses to be scared will never attempt anything that causes real fear, anything where success is neither guaranteed or likely, anything meaningful.

If it matters you’ll be scared when you try it. And if it matters you have to try it."
- WFMFT
#MorningThoughts
I'm afraid I don't understand...

tcudoc

- WFMFT
#MorningThoughts
giphy.gif

Purp

The baseball dynasty began yesterday fellow Frog fans!!! Here's to the next 10+ years of hauling kids to practices and games. :D

full-692-178210-facebook_1550200479692001.jpeg

full-692-178212-img_0276.jpg

full-692-178211-img_0278.jpg
Our first practice with the 5 year old is Monday. He's played t-ball in the church youth sports league, but this year will be a little more formal with some more serious players and coaches. I'm excited about it. He's going to have a blast. Before he even knew I registered him for baseball this spring he was asking to play. One of my favorite things in the world is watching him enjoy something like he enjoys baseball.

Good luck on your season.

Sand Frog

Our first practice with the 5 year old is Monday. He's played t-ball in the church youth sports league, but this year will be a little more formal with some more serious players and coaches. I'm excited about it. He's going to have a blast. Before he even knew I registered him for baseball this spring he was asking to play. One of my favorite things in the world is watching him enjoy something like he enjoys baseball.

Good luck on your season.

Good luck to you as well. I played sports from the time I was 5 until 20. At the end, it had become a job, and I was over it. So, I've really struggled with letting him start this early. I see parents with too high of expectations for their young kids and burn them out. Also, see way too many arm, shoulder, and knee issues with kids under the age of 12-13. In the end, I just want him to have fun and be active outside at this age. My only expectation for the next couple of years. The good thing about this team is this is the coach's 3rd son to start 5U and be coached by him, so he has experience working with and teaching kids this age. The other 2 assists both played college baseball. Most all of the kids and parents attend the same church, so we have a good core of kids and parents that we can hopefully keep together for the next several years. A very well known MLB player has a son their age and at the same church. He didn't want to start him in t-ball for the exact reason I mention above, but he will be on the team next year. A lot of the right people with the right tools seem to be there for he and the rest of his teammates to excel if they so choose to love the game of baseball. That's what I really love about where we moved/live now, and the reason I paid way more for a house and have way further of a commute than I ever wanted.

tcudoc

Good luck to you as well. I played sports from the time I was 5 until 20. At the end, it had become a job, and I was over it. So, I've really struggled with letting him start this early. I see parents with too high of expectations for their young kids and burn them out. Also, see way too many arm, shoulder, and knee issues with kids under the age of 12-13. In the end, I just want him to have fun and be active outside at this age. My only expectation for the next couple of years. The good thing about this team is this is the coach's 3rd son to start 5U and be coached by him, so he has experience working with and teaching kids this age. The other 2 assists both played college baseball. Most all of the kids and parents attend the same church, so we have a good core of kids and parents that we can hopefully keep together for the next several years. A very well known MLB player has a son their age and at the same church. He didn't want to start him in t-ball for the exact reason I mention above, but he will be on the team next year. A lot of the right people with the right tools seem to be there for he and the rest of his teammates to excel if they so choose to love the game of baseball. That's what I really love about where we moved/live now, and the reason I paid way more for a house and have way further of a commute than I ever wanted.
Where I live, the teams were all rigged. Get all of the best players on your team and work the system to keep the core of the team together. If you are a naive coach, your team will be inexperienced rejects who are new to the system. Our league allowed a team to protect a certain core 6-7 players and the coaches would manipulate the rest through the "draft." They got a coach's son, two assist coach's sons, a sponsor kid and a couple of other special cases. Then, the rest of the players were told to bat left handed and miss easy grounders during the pre draft coach tryouts. Beware of the kids who suck at the pre draft tryout who end up hitting a home run on their first real at bat. The experience soured me to kid's baseball. The parents and coaches were the worst possible humans in my experience. This is T ball and coach pitch that I am talking about. It was bizarre how the parents were so competitive and hostile.
Hopefully, your experience won't be that way. If you have parents that have actually played the sport, you will likely have a better experience than I did.

Peacefrog

Degenerate
Where I live, the teams were all rigged. Get all of the best players on your team and work the system to keep the core of the team together. If you are a naive coach, your team will be inexperienced rejects who are new to the system. Our league allowed a team to protect a certain core 6-7 players and the coaches would manipulate the rest through the "draft." They got a coach's son, two assist coach's sons, a sponsor kid and a couple of other special cases. Then, the rest of the players were told to bat left handed and miss easy grounders during the pre draft coach tryouts. Beware of the kids who suck at the pre draft tryout who end up hitting a home run on their first real at bat. The experience soured me to kid's baseball. The parents and coaches were the worst possible humans in my experience. This is T ball and coach pitch that I am talking about. It was bizarre how the parents were so competitive and hostile.
Hopefully, your experience won't be that way. If you have parents that have actually played the sport, you will likely have a better experience than I did.
My son played flag football on a six year old team. The coaches ruined football for him. There were 9 kids on the team - with 7 coaches. I’m assuming it was so they could assemble their team how they wanted it. League allowed one hour of practice per week. They practiced for two hours twice a week and for an hour before every game. They went undefeated until losing in OT in the championship. After the championship game, the coaches, all 7 of them, used the loss as an opportunity to yell at them and make them feel as bad as possible. Most of the kids were in tears. Head coach said “see you next season” as we were walking out. I Let him know he wouldn’t as calmly as possible in front of my wife and kids. I love sports. Loved playing them. Love watching them. Can’t stand what kids sports have become though.

Purp

I think we're in the same place on our expectations for kids' sports. I never hesitated to get him involved as early as possible, though. I knew he'd enjoy it as much as he loved kicking, throwing, and hitting every kind of ball in the house. It's a chance for him to get outside, burn off energy, and develop skills in a low stress environment. Our preacher is the head coach of his baseball team this year. I'll be an assistant and a few other boys from church are also on the team. It's coach pitch for 3 pitches and then 3 swings on the tee after that if they don't get a hit. We noticed our boys getting a little bored with the church league b/c it moved too slowly since most of the other kids weren't as advanced as them in terms of understanding how the game is played and various rules. As a result we figured a more competitive environment would help help enjoy it more, but we're committed to making it a stress free learning environment for them. It's less about winning and more about learning how to play the game and having fun while doing it. It's going to be great. We'll still do the church soccer league this spring too on Saturdays so he'll have a lot of organized outdoor sports time this spring. He's pumped and so am I.

Purp

Teaching my son to play golf when he is able to learn. Expensive to get into but no team dynamics or league politics BS. Just good scores and bad ones.
My sons have plastic golf clubs and nerf golf balls they can hit in the house. The 5 year old can only hit them in one direction now b/c he hits them too hard and too far, but the almost 2 year old is starting to enjoy them. It's a great way for them to learn the swing naturally. I haven't tried to teach them anything about a golf swing other than the right way to hold the club. After that, just go swing away and make sure you don't hit your brother or sister.

HFrog1999

I coached my sons’ baseball, football and basketball teams. Of course we dealt with all of the standard youth sports difficulties. However those were some great times. My sons play sports in school now so my coaching career is over. It could be exhausting at times, but I miss it.

Peacefrog

Degenerate
I coached my sons’ baseball, football and basketball teams. Of course we dealt with all of the standard youth sports difficulties. However those were some great times. My sons play sports in school now so my coaching career is over. It could be exhausting at times, but I miss it.
I coached 6 and 7 year olds in basketball. I was completely unqualified to do so. We had a blast and won some games along the way.

First game was one day after rotator cuff surgery. The other two dads helping texted me that day and said they couldn’t make the game. I coached in a pain pill induced haze. Probably not a good lesson to teach the kids.