• The KillerFrogs

Has anyone seen my specialty plates?

QuilterFrawg

CDR USN (Ret)
Fox is blowing it way out of proportion. An analyst just called him an ass on the broadcast. I read an article on golf.com and the writer roasted him. Who cares? He's way out of contention. Was frustrated. I think it's funny as hell. Maybe the USGA should worry about hillside pin placements instead of stupid crap like this.
I know, what a jerk. That old Brit calls him "a chump...a silly ass" (with English accent). He acts like someone just pooped in the punchbowl. Its a game, for pete's sake.

Dogfrog

Phil did embarrass himself. It was a brain fart. Golf is different from other games in that there are so many opportunities for players to cheat, thus the long honored tradition of self enforcement.

The game and the rules are important. Doesn’t matter if he’s out of contention. Where else but golf are rules actually rules?

Agree the announcers rhetoric is annoying but Phil should have been DQ IMO.

QuilterFrawg

CDR USN (Ret)
Phil did embarrass himself. It was a brain fart. Golf is different from other games in that there are so many opportunities for players to cheat, thus the long honored tradition of self enforcement.

The game and the rules are important. Doesn’t matter if he’s out of contention. Where else but golf are rules actually rules?

Agree the announcers rhetoric is annoying but Phil should have been DQ IMO.
And the rule is, when you hit your ball while its moving, it is a 2-stroke penalty. That's what he did. That's what he got. Why would he be disqualified?

Edit: Interesting wrap-up of Saturday's round:
https://www.sbnation.com/golf/2018/6/17/17471438/us-open-shinnecock-hills-usga-phil-mickelson-ruling

Last edited:

RollToad

Baylor is Trash.
Damn you people, this is golf!

ew7OsjB.gif

ShadowFrog

Moderators
USA beat Scotland in rugby last night in Houston. It's USA's biggest modern rugby win and first tier 1 team win. Scotland scored in stoppage time and their kicker missed the conversion kick (extra point worth 2 points) giving USA the win 30-29. Scotland didn't play well but it was no fluke win either. Hopefully our national team can continue to build on the growing youth game and new MLR domestic pro league.

Scotland loses?
Did ya have a wee bit of help at the pub after??

Surfrog

Watching the final round of the US Open. Didn't watch yesterday, so I missed Phil M's little escapade on the 13th green. As someone with a hair-trigger temper, I probably would have smacked the ball into the next fairway by that point. I admire his restraint.
When he par'd it today, he stood like Rocky Balboa and the crowd cheered. It was funny. I'm no golf expert, but it sounds like the US Open has some problems. A little humorous controversy is a good thing.

USGA decided to make the course artificially difficult. IMO a stupid decision. Rather than pick a naturally challenging course, they picked an easier course but made the greens wicked fast, (pool table fast), pins in damn near impossible positions (2 ft in front of a bunker on a downhill slope) and rough longer than that found at the British Open. Not to mention, the course itself is trying to copy British courses, nothing American about the style of it.

QuilterFrawg

CDR USN (Ret)
USGA decided to make the course artificially difficult. IMO a stupid decision. Rather than pick a naturally challenging course, they picked an easier course but made the greens wicked fast, (pool table fast), pins in damn near impossible positions (2 ft in front of a bunker on a downhill slope) and rough longer than that found at the British Open. Not to mention, the course itself is trying to copy British courses, nothing American about the style of it.
And today they obviously "dumbed it down" with very easy pin placement to avoid more criticism. But I guess that's often done, to make the last round more volatile.

Latest posts