• The KillerFrogs

Great example of why prospects should select TCU

Frog DJ

And a question for you all about the cover of the DCTF mag this year. Who thinks if J Gray had committed to TCU would he have been on the cover? I say no because the primary purpose and goal of the DCTF mag is to sell the max number of copies and they play to the wallets of Texas and A&M and that's why those two guys are on the cover.
Spot on, ricksterh! But let's face it - that's as it should be. DCTF is a business, and the amount of money that business makes is directly dependent upon how many copies of the magazine they sell. If that means playing to the tastes of the widest possible clientele that simply makes good business sense.

In the final analysis, how many of us who call ourselves businessmen would run our companies any differently? Would we lose money on purpose in the name of fairness? I seriously doubt it, and to be clear, I don't think that's what you're trying to say.

On the other hand, DCTF is also a journalistic endeavor, and as such, it bears a certain amount of responsibility to accuracy and balance, but we all know bean counters rule the world - so, profits will almost always trump integrity.

It's a fine line journalists are asked to walk every day.

Go Frogs!

Leap Frog

Leap Frog,
If I were on the Zambezi I wouldn't be hunting tungstun. I would have one of my DGR rifles in my hand.
I'll guarantee that not all highschool football players want to go to Texas.
Butch

Good advice, I'll keep that in mind. Is tungsten worth anything now? Any way, I would always prefer to be in Amon Carter Stadium.

ricksterh

DJ, you are correct in your assesment of my post about the DCTF and Gray too. I have the DCTF mags from 1962 to current. It is interesting to see where they are right and where they are wrong about how teams and players evolve through high school and then college and even further as they advance even to the pros.

My favorite DCTF comment of all time is about a player who wasn't listd as a blue chip or even on the top 300 players who would be hs seniors. All it said on his hs team write up that he was a promising linebacker who would be tried at fullback that coming fall. Thats it! After his senior year when Earl Campbell led his team from Tyler to the State Championship everybody knew who he was and ofcourse the rest is history. That is the most classic of all time but there are a lot of examples of guys who develop late. LT was a blocking back in hs until his senior year and flew under the radar.

From the TCU perspective we just have to understand it is not all about and centered around what happens at TCU.

Spot on, ricksterh! But let's face it - that's as it should be. DCTF is a business, and the amount of money that business makes is directly dependent upon how many copies of the magazine they sell. If that means playing to the tastes of the widest possible clientele that simply makes good business sense.

In the final analysis, how many of us who call ourselves businessmen would run our companies any differently? Would we lose money on purpose in the name of fairness? I seriously doubt it, and to be clear, I don't think that's what you're trying to say.

On the other hand, DCTF is also a journalistic endeavor, and as such, it bears a certain amount of responsibility to accuracy and balance, but we all know bean counters rule the world - so, profits will almost always trump integrity.

It's a fine line journalists are asked to walk every day.

Go Frogs!

purplepreacher

Remember how long TCU football was really bad. Remember how long programs like Texas were winners. Remember how long it's been since TCU was in a "brand name" conference, while Texas, and others, have been members of a conference with cachet from people supposedly in the know about collegiate sports. Remember we have a much smaller living alumni base than a school with 40 thousand enrolled on one campus.

For all their faults (especially the ones most visible through purple eyeglasses) I think it's fair to say over the past 20 years, on average, Texas' product on the field has surpassed TCU's. They have money, they have news coverage, they have had a lot of time to develop a reputation that is appealing to a many high school students, whether or not they're athletes.

During the past ten years TCU has turned the metaphorical ship around, but Texas, et al, had a considerable head start on us in the race for the hearts and minds of top athletes. If we have another five years like the last five we'll have remade our rep to a great extent.

There are people out there who sincerely believe the past five years are just a fluke, against inferior competition. And just as passionately I disagree with them. TCU is here to stay, we will remain a power to be reckoned with on into the future.

Undefeated seasons? Those are doggoned rare in the history of any program, and I'm sure we will have some seasons without double-digit wiins. But we are no fluke, we will not roll over and concede victory to anyone ever again, we will not allow program failures of the past to deny us success in the future. We will claim our rightful place in the collegiate athletics world and we will not give it up.

Yeah, it behooves those who have had one great season out of 30 (TCU) not to diss those who have had 10 great seasons out of 30(UT).

maximilian

Do ya think so? :unsure: I don't know but my guess is the cover was to help sell magazines and play to the Horns and Ags because of their numbers? :huh:

It absolutely was. J-Gray is one of the best players in the history of Texas high school football. He would have been on the cover if he went to ITT Tech. Cyrus Gray being there with him is simply a play on words with their last name both being Gray.

Can we stop with the completely dumb conspiracy theories?

ricksterh

It absolutely was. J-Gray is one of the best players in the history of Texas high school football. He would have been on the cover if he went to ITT Tech. Cyrus Gray being there with him is simply a play on words with their last name both being Gray.

Can we stop with the completely dumb conspiracy theories?

I will disagree with you about J Gray. From what I have seen Aledo is a great team who make a lot of great blocks for him. He is a good back but imo not a great back. If he had chosen to go to TCU Caoch P would push him to max out to his potential and give him the chance to play but imo with the backs TCU already has his chance of seeing the field for the first year or two would be slim. He can go to Texas and play and coast under Mack. :rolleyes:

Gunner

For Golden Frog.

On specifics, the DE's name was Jones. The other player was a TE at Kilgore and was highly recruited. He was real big and they(Texas) immediately moved him to offensive line. He was part of that mess Texas had last year, according to Kilgore people.

Jones was actually drafted in the very late rounds this year. He is still undeveloped and there's still hope for him.....Not sure there is hope for the Texas offensive line. And their problems may not be over. Phil Steele, who has a pretty good track record on predictions, says they won't do much this year, again. Didn't have them in his Top 25, I'm pretty sure.