• The KillerFrogs

Great example of why prospects should select TCU

Gunner

A few years back, I went up to Greenville(think it was) and watched Kilgore play. They had this all everything defensive end named Jones and another guy who was a top OL. Remember, was disappointed when we didn't get those guys. Both signed with Texas...

Instead, ol' GP takes Daniels and Sanders off that state championship team. Nobody wanted 'em except TCU.

In 2010 Jones and the offensive lineman had miserable years. Texas' offensive line was terrible according to my Texas watchers. Sanders started for 4 years and Daniels was at least a 2 year starter and made all conference.

TCU had a team full of those type examples and whipped Wisconsin in the Rose Bowl, finishing 2nd in the nation.... Maybe they were number 1.

That's why Gray should have selected TCU and others would be wise to consider the Frogs...

SuperToad

Unfortunately, kids still think Texas is...well, "Texas". Some kids would rather worry about image rather than performance. A lot of kids have grown up with parents who were Texas t-shirt fans and brainwashed their kids that UT was the land of saints and God. Sure, that's a little over stated, but hopefully you get my point. And that's not just to UT, btw.

frogbyproxy

Just proof CGP is an excellent coach. In 2006 ot was the first year most of our players weren't 2 star I gues you could say. The last 3 years we have been 3 star players with a four star every now and then. This year was really a break out year IMO. Next year we will have another break out year with most being 4 star players and one or two 5 star. CGP is proving his worth as a coach and we are getting players that would have never thought about TCU. The bar is set higher each year and CGP is setting it for TCU. Next year TCU will finally be just as important to player across the state Texas as Ut was back in the olden days before 2006. :biggrin:

SuperToad

Just proof CGP is an excellent coach. In 2006 ot was the first year most of our players weren't 2 star I gues you could say. The last 3 years we have been 3 star players with a four star every now and then. This year was really a break out year IMO. Next year we will have another break out year with most being 4 star players and one or two 5 star. CGP is proving his worth as a coach and we are getting players that would have never thought about TCU. The bar is set higher each year and CGP is setting it for TCU. Next year TCU will finally be just as important to player across the state Texas as Ut was back in the olden days before 2006. :biggrin:

I couldn't agree more!! It's been amazing to watch this transformation.

FrogAbroad

Remember how long TCU football was really bad. Remember how long programs like Texas were winners. Remember how long it's been since TCU was in a "brand name" conference, while Texas, and others, have been members of a conference with cachet from people supposedly in the know about collegiate sports. Remember we have a much smaller living alumni base than a school with 40 thousand enrolled on one campus.

For all their faults (especially the ones most visible through purple eyeglasses) I think it's fair to say over the past 20 years, on average, Texas' product on the field has surpassed TCU's. They have money, they have news coverage, they have had a lot of time to develop a reputation that is appealing to a many high school students, whether or not they're athletes.

During the past ten years TCU has turned the metaphorical ship around, but Texas, et al, had a considerable head start on us in the race for the hearts and minds of top athletes. If we have another five years like the last five we'll have remade our rep to a great extent.

There are people out there who sincerely believe the past five years are just a fluke, against inferior competition. And just as passionately I disagree with them. TCU is here to stay, we will remain a power to be reckoned with on into the future.

Undefeated seasons? Those are doggoned rare in the history of any program, and I'm sure we will have some seasons without double-digit wiins. But we are no fluke, we will not roll over and concede victory to anyone ever again, we will not allow program failures of the past to deny us success in the future. We will claim our rightful place in the collegiate athletics world and we will not give it up.

frogbyproxy

Remember how long TCU football was really bad. Remember how long programs like Texas were winners. Remember how long it's been since TCU was in a "brand name" conference, while Texas, and others, have been members of a conference with cachet from people supposedly in the know about collegiate sports. Remember we have a much smaller living alumni base than a school with 40 thousand enrolled on one campus.

For all their faults (especially the ones most visible through purple eyeglasses) I think it's fair to say over the past 20 years, on average, Texas' product on the field has surpassed TCU's. They have money, they have news coverage, they have had a lot of time to develop a reputation that is appealing to a many high school students, whether or not they're athletes.

During the past ten years TCU has turned the metaphorical ship around, but Texas, et al, had a considerable head start on us in the race for the hearts and minds of top athletes. If we have another five years like the last five we'll have remade our rep to a great extent.

There are people out there who sincerely believe the past five years are just a fluke, against inferior competition. And just as passionately I disagree with them. TCU is here to stay, we will remain a power to be reckoned with on into the future.

Undefeated seasons? Those are doggoned rare in the history of any program, and I'm sure we will have some seasons without double-digit wiins. But we are no fluke, we will not roll over and concede victory to anyone ever again, we will not allow program failures of the past to deny us success in the future. We will claim our rightful place in the collegiate athletics world and we will not give it up.

Amen to that brother! The drought is over for TCU and now is the time we begin our quest! May Coach Patersons reign for many years to come!

Go Frogs!

Screaming Flea

Unfortunately, kids still think Texas is...well, "Texas". Some kids would rather worry about image rather than performance. A lot of kids have grown up with parents who were Texas t-shirt fans and brainwashed their kids that UT was the land of saints and God. Sure, that's a little over stated, but hopefully you get my point. And that's not just to UT, btw.

well put. I just don't want TCU to become the smart-as., arrogant fan that Texas has become! I'm beginning to see that every now and then from the young generation. No class in that kind of attitude and you'll get little respect too.

West Coast Johnny

A few years back, I went up to Greenville(think it was) and watched Kilgore play. They had this all everything defensive end named Jones and another guy who was a top OL. Remember, was disappointed when we didn't get those guys. Both signed with Texas...

Instead, ol' GP takes Daniels and Sanders off that state championship team. Nobody wanted 'em except TCU.

In 2010 Jones and the offensive lineman had miserable years. Texas' offensive line was terrible according to my Texas watchers. Sanders started for 4 years and Daniels was at least a 2 year starter and made all conference.

TCU had a team full of those type examples and whipped Wisconsin in the Rose Bowl, finishing 2nd in the nation.... Maybe they were number 1.

That's why Gray should have selected TCU and others would be wise to consider the Frogs...

I see. The guys Gary Patterson really wanted sucked - and ended up going to Texas. And only by sheer luck we got stuck with players nobody wanted (who were actually good players). So our recruiting success is built on luck not skill.

There isn't that big of a contrast between Patterson's recruiting at TCU and Brown's recruiting at Texas. Both coaches go after many of the same players. Brown, Cole, Estelle, Gray, Johnson, Riser, Ridgeway, Brown, Edmond, Diggs, Flowers, Ash, Jackson, Cochran, Scott, and Hutchins. If Patterson's evaluations are that much better than Brown's, why do they go after the same players?

Gunner

:biggrin: Texas didn't go after Linwood. :biggrin:

But, the point was Patterson knows how to develop players better than anybody. You cannot name a coach anywhere, logically, that has done a better job.

SuperToad

well put. I just don't want TCU to become the smart-as., arrogant fan that Texas has become! I'm beginning to see that every now and then from the young generation. No class in that kind of attitude and you'll get little respect too.

That's true. I've seen my fair share from the younger generation. But isn't that typical for kids? UT T-shirt fans are typically the older generation and are super arrogant. I'm not trying to be bias, but I just don't see those types from older TCU fans.

maximilian

:biggrin: Texas didn't go after Linwood. :biggrin:

But, the point was Patterson knows how to develop players better than anybody. You cannot name a coach anywhere, logically, that has done a better job.

While I think Patterson is the best at it, Mike Riley at Oregon State does an outstanding job with the talent he gets on that campus.

dkfrog

When does sports consciousness begin? What age? -- 5 maybe?

So, we are approaching a time when recruits' sports consciousness does only exists in a world where they see TCU in the top 25 at worst, and at best playing in and winning BCS bowl games....

This is very interesting to me

Leap Frog

That's true. I've seen my fair share from the younger generation. But isn't that typical for kids? UT T-shirt fans are typically the older generation and are super arrogant. I'm not trying to be bias, but I just don't see those types from older TCU fans.

Thanks Super Toad, We older fans love what we are seeing now, but we are also humble enough to respect where we came from. I have friends from most of the old SWC schools, and we get along by never rubbing it in on the ones not doing so well. Believe me, my friends have a lot of respect for the Frogs, and I return the feelings mutually.

ricksterh

As to J Gray I may be proven wrong but imo he is a good back but not a great back. In the films I saw Aledo has some good players who make great blocks for him when he runs. Also I think if J Gray had committed to play at TCU Coach GP would push him to max out his ability and he would get every chance but might not see a lot of the field for his first year or two. At Texas he will play early on but Mack won't push him like GP would and at Texas he can coast his way through his time there.

And a question for you all about the cover of the DCTF mag this year. Who thinks if J Gray had committed to TCU would he have been on the cover? I say no because the primary purpose and goal of the DCTF mag is to sell the max number of copies and they play to the wallets of Texas and A&M and that's why those two guys are on the cover.

Butch lambert

Leap Frog,
If I were on the Zambezi I wouldn't be hunting tungstun. I would have one of my DGR rifles in my hand.
I'll guarantee that not all highschool football players want to go to Texas.
Butch

McFroggin

As to J Gray I may be proven wrong but imo he is a good back but not a great back. In the films I saw Aledo has some good players who make great blocks for him when he runs. Also I think if J Gray had committed to play at TCU Coach GP would push him to max out his ability and he would get every chance but might not see a lot of the field for his first year or two. At Texas he will play early on but Mack won't push him like GP would and at Texas he can coast his way through his time there.

And a question for you all about the cover of the DCTF mag this year. Who thinks if J Gray had committed to TCU would he have been on the cover? I say no because the primary purpose and goal of the DCTF mag is to sell the max number of copies and they play to the wallets of Texas and A&M and that's why those two guys are on the cover.

I think Gray made a good decision for him. TCU is log-jammed at RB. Gray wouldn't see the field at TCU for years. James-Wesley-Tucker-Smith are all excellent backs. Gray went where he could play.