• The KillerFrogs

Gameday Thread: TCU at Kansas, Top 20 Showdown, Gameday Edition

Virginia Frog

Great road game, college town, easy 7.5 hours all interstate.

I stayed in OKC last night for Aunt of Froglaw’s 96 birthday.

Great weekend!
I kinda chucked when "Our" super badarse litigator moneybags Baylor Law attorney spent the night at the ECONOLODGE.:)

I'm guessing THAT wasn't a joke on your part? (I imagine choices were thin at any kind of reasonable price on a big game weekend. Don't blame you for "slummin' it." I get it: the less money spent there means more money to spend elsewhere!)

(I have stayed in a RODEWAY INN but no Econolodge. Make sure you get your Choice Privileges points for the stay. There are some very nice/decent Choice Hotels around for redemptions. I've stayed in some in France, Germany, UK, New Zealand and Austria. Points can be like gold in an urban market in busy seasons.)

Glad we won. Happy B-day to Aunt of Froglaw on her BIG 96!

Dogfrog

I kinda chucked when "Our" super badarse litigator moneybags Baylor Law attorney spent the night at the ECONOLODGE.:)

I'm guessing THAT wasn't a joke on your part? (I imagine choices were thin at any kind of reasonable price on a big game weekend. Don't blame you for "slummin' it." I get it: the less money spent there means more money to spend elsewhere!)

(I have stayed in a RODEWAY INN but no Econolodge. Make sure you get your Choice Privileges points for the stay. There are some very nice/decent Choice Hotels around for redemptions. I've stayed in some in France, Germany, UK, New Zealand and Austria. Points can be like gold in an urban market in busy seasons.)

Could you specify when you chucked, was that an upchuck or a chuckle?

froginaustin

OU big game in Dallas IIRC

that causes tight hotel rooms in OKC?

East Coast

Tier 1
There was also a bad experience for her at an OU game in Norman (not Jerry World). But the Boulder-experience was the kill shot. She also doesn’t like that I will not just move away meekly when a-holes start trying to mess with me. I recall when there could be good-natured banter going on even in closely contested games (eg: OU v Frogs in Norman in 05) but that was just my son and me. Now it’s vulgar and threatening. Didn’t help that I told her Boulder would be among the most benign venues since that team had zero expectations of being even decent and figured their fans were virtual eunuchs by now given how many emasculations that team has suffered over recent years.
Never had any issues at West Virginia EXCEPT with 1 drunk 30ish TCU fan. Tons of fun in the tailgate. I do say that sporting events have gotten rowdier and filled with more idiots/donkeys over the last 20 years.

Froglaw

Thanks for the Aunts BD wish. Turns out she is 97. Graduated from Phillips University in Enid OK.

Believe me when I say that I’ve slept in worse places than the EconoLodge in Lawrence.

I forgot to get my Choice Points darn it.

Virginia Frog

Thanks for the Aunts BD wish. Turns out she is 97. Graduated from Phillips University in Enid OK.

Believe me when I say that I’ve slept in worse places than the EconoLodge in Lawrence.

You can still get the points - if you don't have a "Choice Privileges" account, get it first - I think you can do it all online. They updated the program a few years back and the points have a 18 month life - but don't expire if you have another stay in that time period. (So I've banked a lot of points that I'm itching to use soon - I'm still on ice because of COVID - I haven't been in a hotel since Miami in Jan '20.)

(My worse hotel experience was at a Choice Hotel (Quality Inn-Kingman AZ - I stayed there because they had a private "Route 66 Museum" there.) I won't bore you with the details but let's just say they had to have workers remove the window for us to get out in order to put us in another room at 3 am in the morning!)

Horny4TCU

You can still get the points - if you don't have a "Choice Privileges" account, get it first - I think you can do it all online. They updated the program a few years back and the points have a 18 month life - but don't expire if you have another stay in that time period. (So I've banked a lot of points that I'm itching to use soon - I'm still on ice because of COVID - I haven't been in a hotel since Miami in Jan '20.)

(My worse hotel experience was at a Choice Hotel (Quality Inn-Kingman AZ - I stayed there because they had a private "Route 66 Museum" there.) I won't bore you with the details but let's just say they had to have workers remove the window for us to get out in order to put us in another room at 3 am in the morning!)
Please do bore us with the details.

Jon Stewart Popcorn GIF

Fred Garvin

I service the entire Quad Cities Area

Meh, too much work for those 49 points.

Virginia Frog

Meh, too much work for those 49 points.
I won't try to persuade you about points/miles etc.

Playing the points/miles game for many folks is their hobby. You ought to read some of their reports in Facebook groups and thier many amazing redemptions at really cool places. I'm not that sophisticated in "the game" but free nights/travel come in handy when you are faced with universal high rates during a city-wide convention or special event. In '19 for example I spent 7 days in Munich (heart of the city) during Oktoberfest for 72K Choice points. The real price that I would have had to pay for that room (2 room suite) - even with the discounts that I employ- including all fees and taxes would have been US$1,523 - the rack rate would have been 20% or more higher for the average civilian.

I like the word "free" and it's never too much work for me. (It'd be more than 49 points BTW.) I like to see my dollars spent "go further" (Business school adage: "maximize shareholder wealth" and I'm the shareholder!)

It's good for us points/miles guys for other folks to not "take advantage" of the benefits since we would then have to compete with you for redemption spots. These companies count on people NOT using the points they earn to the company's financial benefit.

Last edited:

Virginia Frog

Is the econolodge an hourly rate? And if so, do points apply?
When the day comes that I go into an Econolodge and the clerk says "do you want to rent a room by the MINUTE" I'll know that my aura of sexual prowess has diminished to the point of no return!:confused:

(I've always thought that the U of Massachusetts "Minutemen" is a terrible mascot name.)

Fred Garvin

I service the entire Quad Cities Area
I won't try to persuade you about points/miles etc.

Playing the points/miles game for many folks is their hobby. You ought to read some of their reports in Facebook groups and thier many amazing redemptions at really cool places. I'm not that sophisticated in "the game" but free nights/travel come in handy when you are faced with universal high rates during a city-wide convention or special event. In '19 for example I spent 7 days in Munich (heart of the city) during Oktoberfest for 72K Choice points. The real price that I would have had to pay for that room (2 room suite) - even with the discounts that I employ- including all fees and taxes would have been US$1,523 - the rack rate would have been 20% or more higher for the average civilian.

I like the word "free" and it's never too much work for me. (It'd be more than 49 points BTW.) I like to see my dollars spent "go further" (Business school adage: "maximize shareholder wealth" and I'm the shareholder!)

It's good for us points/miles guys for other folks to not "take advantage" of the benefits since we would then have to compete with you for redemption spots. These companies count on people NOT using the points they earn to the company's financial benefit.

I am the master of free stuff for miles and points, although lately I have opted for cash. When I can get 3.5% cash back on all purchases, that is usually better than any miles or points. My Joke (comment?) was 1) the tired Econolodge was probably only $49 for the night 2) doing "after the fact crap" for a measly 49 points is a beating.

Virginia Frog

I am the master of free stuff for miles and points, although lately I have opted for cash. When I can get 3.5% cash back on all purchases, that is usually better than any miles or points. My Joke (comment?) was 1) the tired Econolodge was probably only $49 for the night 2) doing "after the fact crap" for a measly 49 points is a beating.
Sorry, I didn't know you were joking. The points game has become a secondary hobby for me - there's just a lot to know. It's more than points/miles to me, "status" has become a game in itself - capable of big returns. So you "get it."

"master of free stuff" that's fab. Maybe we should be acquainted.