• The KillerFrogs

Gameday Thread, Season Opener: Colorado vs TCU; Sponsored by NIL Village

Wexahu

I think on a day like today when it's hotter than hell out there and you know it's gonna be a battle of attrition, you gotta play pressure defense and don't worry so much about giving up the big play. If they score, make it quick so your defense isn't out there chasing guys around all day. At least you'll probably make some splash plays and create some more turnovers. Those 10+ play drives that they had early on us probably cost us more than 7 points each.

Prince of Purpoole II

Reigning Smartarse
I’ve stayed away from kf.c until now, but I couldn’t help but notice there are already dueling threads advocating the firings of both coordinators.

I understand the frustration, but it’s the first game of the season, folks! CU looks like a very talented offense, and their defense never withered in the heat.

I’ll freely admit the Frogs looked shaky on both sides of the ball, but can’t we can’t we just also admit that Colorado looks pretty good, and they played well?

Go Frogs!
Anyone advocating firings today should just delete their accounts

Wexahu

I’ve stayed away from kf.c until now, but I couldn’t help but notice there are already dueling threads advocating the firings of both coordinators.

I understand the frustration, but it’s the first game of the season, folks! CU looks like a very talented offense, and their defense never withered in the heat.

I’ll freely admit the Frogs looked shaky on both sides of the ball, but can’t we can’t we just also admit that Colorado looks pretty good, and they played well?

Go Frogs!
Colorado played well. I knew when we started slow we were in trouble, we needed to come out and make a statement early and a quick 3 and out followed by a long scoring drive from them was exactly what we did not need.

LisaLT

Morris looked a bit like a deer in the headlights sometimes. Very inconsistent and not confident imo. Perhaps this game was too big and too intense to start off with all the media coverage and focus and pressure. Shoulda played Nichols first to get warmed up like everyone else does.

FrogBall09

Our HC is what he is. When you are driving and getting a push and don’t run on 3rd and 3, you’re missing. I’m shocked about this one. Briles likes it o run a little more. And the passing game is way off.
What is he? A bad evaluator QBs and DCs but gives great hugs and pep talks?

I think his biggest issue is most of our coaches are strategists and no one is actually coaching

frogs9497

I think on a day like today when it's hotter than hell out there and you know it's gonna be a battle of attrition, you gotta play pressure defense and don't worry so much about giving up the big play. If they score, make it quick so your defense isn't out there chasing guys around all day. At least you'll probably make some splash plays and create some more turnovers. Those 10+ play drives that they had early on us probably cost us more than 7 points each.
What about the depth we’ve been hearing about for the last month?

Wexahu

What’s going to happen when we face UT or OU or Tech for that matter? And KSU? Even KU has a solid QB and playmakers. I could see us really struggling this year with what I saw today. And yes, our approach on defense needs to change. Radically.
I suspect we'll have a lot better idea of what we'll be facing when we play those teams. You gotta remember, our coaches really had no idea (or little idea) what they would be seeing today. It's odd when you are facing an opponent with basically all new players and a coaching staff made up of guys from all over the place.

tetonfrog

In front of a record breaking crowd no less. A GP team would not have crapped the bed on D like that. They could not cover or tackle. The tackling was horrible. They can’t even get the angle on pursuit.
During the last four years of his TCU tenure? I don't remember many exciting home wins in front of record-breaking crowds? Feel free to refresh my memories.

Now, during the Andy Dalton/Tre Boykin eras.......those were fun times A key was some strong coaching by our coordinators back then. Fond memories.

Frogs1983

Never recruit a non/mobile Qb again. It is a joke we had no real replacement for max

He threw two interceptions in or near the end zone, missed two guys running free behind the defense and threw behind Savion when the Frogs had to have it.

I believe in Chandler but this was a bad day for him
42 points more than enough, even with penalties and 2 Interceptions. This loss is squarely on Gillespie & the D!

No improvement at all from last year. No pressure. If this is what we can expect all season, Frogs will be a below 500 team.

Wexahu

What about the depth we’ve been hearing about for the last month?
Nobody has enough depth on a day like today unless you're getting quite a few quick possessions. And even then, it's a battle of attrition. Long drives when you're out there constantly in 3rd and short situations are brutal.

smufrogger

Morris looked a bit like a deer in the headlights sometimes. Very inconsistent and not confident imo. Perhaps this game was too big and too intense to start off with all the media coverage and focus and pressure. Shoulda played Nichols first to get warmed up like everyone else does.
He’s just not a good qb

dawg

Because we told everyone CM is the starter and would keep it for a few years. I wonder if our ex-QBs who transferred out have some second thoughts. We have a good OL and weapons at RB, WR and TE. CM couldn't get them the ball. And Briles' son should be second guessed for his red-zone playcalling. Sometimes it is OK to have the QB turn around and hand the ball to a RB.
That’s a good point, actually. The message should have been “there’s a competition, whoever gets better will play.”

dawg

42 points more than enough, even with penalties and 2 Interceptions. This loss is squarely on Gillespie & the D!

No improvement at all from last year. No pressure. If this is what we can expect all season, Frogs will be a below 500 team.
This; 42 should be enough to win.

Hoosierfrog

Tier 1
Hard to know how much was the D and not having any film to plan with. People are going to be really passed when they hear the replay and the out right rooting for Dion by the network and broad at crew…

Chongo94

I suspect we'll have a lot better idea of what we'll be facing when we play those teams. You gotta remember, our coaches really had no idea (or little idea) what they would be seeing today. It's odd when you are facing an opponent with basically all new players and a coaching staff made up of guys from all over the place.
Yes but also a bit no, I mean they couldn’t grab some film of where the OC was last year?….there was certainly some film on the Sandersssss at Jackson State. I get what you’re saying but that is a very VERY weak reason in my opinion albeit some (a very minor some) of it is valid.