• The KillerFrogs

Gameday Thread: #19/21 TCU vs Oklahoma

dawg

cdsfrog said:

It's weird. I think it's WAY more on coaching than people are saying.

OU desperately wanted to score. Defense played well in the 1st quarter (mediocre towards the end of it).

They then proceed to look worse than Big 12 defense including Kansas or ISU in the next quarters. I say that without hesitation.

In the last 19 minutes, they gave up 3 (mating between Steel & 2314) points. They weren't tired at all.
Agreed. Never seen a more Jekyll and Hyde team. First and fourth quarters were lights out; middle two were garbage. Points to coaching, offense and defense, not adjusting and counter-adjusting until it's too late.

Who knows, maybe this team needs to lose close (like the 2013 team did) before it learns how to win.

cdsfrog

dawg said:
Agreed. Never seen a more Jekyll and Hyde team. First and fourth quarters were lights out; middle two were garbage. Points to coaching, offense and defense, not adjusting and counter-adjusting until it's too late.

Who knows, maybe this team needs to lose close (like the 2013 team did) before it learns how to win.

Feels like 2013 team just the opposite problems. Good thing is we got new coaches after that. Praying GP sees the light soon. Desperately need a lot of new defensive coaches.

Froggy Style

Pharm Frog said:
That's the Stack 3 which the 4-2-5 was born from. I like the Stack 3 if you can stuff the middle otherwise they'll gash you between guards and tackles

Difference is, you can't drop 8 with four linemen.  Right now we are running 4 linemen and two linebackers with five receivers and RB going out for passes.  LB's chasing WR's leave the QB free to run or safeties cheating up to stop that and letting WR's score free TD's.

You have to create more confusion.  The 4-2-5 did that against running teams with two or three WR's, now it is outmatched and Gary refuses to modify, no matter how many 50 point games he gives up.  It's about numbers with 4.4 WRs and who can cover them.   Gary seems to struggle with numbers (see clock management and time out management).

I'm not saying Gary isn't the best thing ever to happen to the school, just saying that the emperor needs to review his wardrobe.

Pharm Frog

Froggy Style said:

Difference is, you can't drop 8 with four linemen.  Right now we are running 4 linemen and two linebackers with five receivers and RB going out for passes.  LB's chasing WR's leave the QB free to run or safeties cheating up to stop that and letting WR's score free TD's.

You have to create more confusion.  The 4-2-5 did that against running teams with two or three WR's, now it is outmatched and Gary refuses to modify, no matter how many 50 point games he gives up.  It's about numbers, which Gary sucks at (see clock management and time out management).

I'm not saying Gary isn't the best thing ever to happen to the school, just saying that the emperor needs to review his wardrobe.
Not debating but we do drop DE's quite a bit against certain spread formations. We just aren't very good at it along with several other things. I do like the Stack 3. And I agree that a wardrobe audit is in order

cdsfrog

Pharm Frog said:
Not debating but we do drop DE's quite a bit against certain spread formations. We just aren't very good at it along with several other things. I do like the Stack 3. And I agree that a wardrobe audit is in order

It also doesn't do as well with offenses that go 3 and out al ot with quick scoring drives. We adjusted on offense, time to adjust on defense.

Biggest to help is firing underqualified perpetual failing coaches and any others aren't getting the job done. I would love to see at least 2 new assistant defensive coaches next year, preferably 3.

satis1103

DAOTONPYH EHT LIAH LLA
scheiss it. We need this season. We need these losses. This team needs to learn some lessons like 2012 and 13 were.

Zubaz

Big play towards the end of the game. Summers had a pick dead to rights on that first third down on their last drive. Like if he stands straight up its his and we have the ball at the 40 down three. That was a killer.

satis1103

DAOTONPYH EHT LIAH LLA
Todd D. said:
Big play towards the end of the game. Summers had a pick dead to rights on that first third down on their last drive. Like if he stands straight up its his and we have the ball at the 40 down three. That was a killer.
That's truth.

Pharm Frog

Todd D. said:
He should not be downfield covering Mixon in that situation or the other long third down conversion that hurt us. Poor scheme. I was actually impressed that he was as close as he was.

smufrogger

Pharm Frog said:
My thoughts on the O can be summed up with this: if Kenny doesn't start running more after the first and second progressions don't pan out we will not reach our potential. And I mean running for yardage not just scrambling.
Kenny would have a good eight open yards in front of him and instead try to force a 12 yard pass in coverage

Moose Stuff

My 2 cents...... these two losses are basically the same games we played in Lubbock and Manhattan and San Antonio last year minus us making a play at the end to win. The guys are frustrating but they play hard and don't quit. Can't win 'em all.

BleedNPurple

Moose Stuff said:
My 2 cents...... these two losses are basically the same games we played in Lubbock and Manhattan and San Antonio last year minus us making a play at the end to win. The guys are frustrating but they play hard and don't quit. Can't win 'em all.
I'd like to think that good teams don't let it get down to this - marginally good teams do and they win.

cdsfrog

Moose Stuff said:

We played hard in 2013 as well.