• The KillerFrogs

FWST: TCU fans shouldn't allow Big 12 dreams to fool them

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
FWST: TCU fans shouldn't allow Big 12 dreams to fool them

By Gil LeBreton
glebreton@ star-telegram.com

To the old grads, to the people that saw Swink and Lilly and Big Boo play, to the Wacker Backers and to those who simply are still hung over from the Rose Bowl, Thursday must have seemed like a dream come true.The blogs and Fort Worth bars were teeming with "reports" of TCU getting an invitation to join the Big 12.

Vindication. Validation. Visions of the Horned Frogs whupping up on the Longhorns and Sooners as if they were UNLV.

"If we're invited, we have to accept," read the midnight text message from a TCU coach. ...

FinanceFrog

here's what it comes down to; if the big 12 doesn't choose us then they take the best BE teams. then we are left in conference USA playing east carolina. everyone knows the big 12 isn't perfect, but it beats the hell out of the big east leftovers.

P

PurpleDaze

Without equal revenue sharing across all three tiers ... The Bevo Conference is an utter and complete loser.

TCU should pass on an invite until the money situation is resolved.

Anyone who is too naive to understand the ramifications, doesn't understand college football.

HFrog1999

here's what it comes down to; if the big 12 doesn't choose us then they take the best BE teams. then we are left in conference USA playing east carolina. everyone knows the big 12 isn't perfect, but it beats the hell out of the big east leftovers.
Even if they do that, we still get 2 seasons playing those teams with an AQ. You are also assuming they will be willing to leave one dying league for another. BYU is telling the 12 no right now. The big east teams may do the same.

Limey Frog

I absolutely agree. But here's the real problem. Every school on the landscape which TCU considers peer institutions athletically is now bringing in no less than $12-15M a year from TV rights. We are getting $800K. And yet our football budget is the size of Oklahoma's. Where is that money coming from? Alumni donations? How long can we go on competing at this level when our annual revenue isn't enough to cover expenses before asking folks to open their check books? A few bad years, GP retiring, some other disaster... maybe folks feel a little less generous.

As long as we're stuck with the MWC crappy TV deal, our entire program is on shaky ground. If I was sure that the BE would still be together to negotiate a big deal next year, I'd be 100% against the LHC. If we still had Pitt and 'Cuse, and every other school in the league wasn't just waiting for an invitation to bail, Gil would be spot on. But at this rate there won't be any BE.

Anyone think ECU and Temple will help us bag $20M annually in TV revenue? I don't.

Without equal revenue sharing across all three tiers ... The Bevo Conference is an utter and complete loser.

TCU should pass on an invite until the money situation is resolved.

Anyone who is too naive to understand the ramifications, doesn't understand college football.

We've been at a 15M+ disadvantage for years?! What difference would it make? The money is a facade. All you naysayers have been duped into believing money is at the heart of this. Money is used as a scapgoat to hide the jealousy, egoism, narcisism, and Oedipus complex that resided in the 12 institutions. We can either avoid them and be at a bigger monetary disadvantage or we can join them, get more money, and look them straight in the eye and tell them "you can have your bullsh rules and cute little network but we are not the same Horned Frogs you left for dead; we are not the little cockroaches you used to step on; we've been through the ringer...we've seen the struggles-you have no idea what kind of effed up crazy b(I'm going to get Banned if I do not EDIT this Immediately) we've become. We'll gladhand DeLoss and D. Royal but we can't wait to spit in those [ "illegitimate Baylor boys" ]' caskets (wish I could take credit for that). See you on the field."

Waccy Frog

Excellent article; all good points. If the Big 12 and the Big East are the two most unstable conferences, then we have a difficult choice. My vote is to go if invited. But I think our goal is the same: to continue to build and excel, and continue to be in a position to have good options. Because this won't be the last round. Not by a long shot.

P

PurpleDaze

We've been at a 15M+ disadvantage for years?! What difference would it make? The money is a facade. All you naysayers have been duped into believing money is at the heart of this. Money is used as a scapgoat to hide the jealousy, egoism, narcisism, and Oedipus complex that resided in the 12 institutions. We can either avoid them and be at a bigger monetary disadvantage or we can join them, get more money, and look them straight in the eye and tell them "you can have your bullsh rules and cute little network but we are not the same Horned Frogs you left for dead; we are not the little cockroaches you used to step on; we've been through the ringer...we've seen the struggles-you have no idea what kind of effed up crazy b(I'm going to get Banned if I do not EDIT this Immediately) we've become. We'll gladhand DeLoss and D. Royal but we can't wait to spit in those [ "illegitimate Baylor boys" ]' caskets (wish I could take credit for that). See you on the field."

Obviously, you do not understand.

Be careful what you wish for my friend ... You might just get it.

McFroggin

Even if they do that, we still get 2 seasons playing those teams with an AQ. You are also assuming they will be willing to leave one dying league for another. BYU is telling the 12 no right now. The big east teams may do the same.

Your facts have holes.

Waccy Frog

He get's it about as well as anyone else. It's his opinion, and one shared by many people. I instantly tune out anyone in this debate, though, that speaks in absolutes, guarantees, insider FACTS about things that by definition are opinions, etc. There is more than one take on this. It's an interesting debate. If anyone says that they KNOW which choice is best for TCU and the other choice is indefensible, well, they're the one that obviously does not understand.

rifram09

I don't understand people who want to avoid UT so much that they would rather choose a non-AQ conference in two years from now. There's no way that's the best thing for us, regardless of how slimy the whorns and their minions are. We have to compete on the big stage. Is the fear of the B12 predicated on the assumption that we can't win there? If so, perhaps that is where the divide among our fanbase resides. I think Gary Patterson can win anywhere, especially given a few years of comparable resources? Who doesn't share this sentiment?

pcf

I don't understand people who want to avoid UT so much that they would rather choose a non-AQ conference in two years from now. There's no way that's the best thing for us, regardless of how slimy the whorns and their minions are. We have to compete on the big stage. Is the fear of the B12 predicated on the assumption that we can't win there? If so, perhaps that is where the divide among our fanbase resides. I think Gary Patterson can win anywhere, especially given a few years of comparable resources? Who doesn't share this sentiment?

The Admiral Ackbar Society thinks you're missing something in your analysis.

ReedFrawg

Well said. I agree 100%.

K

kdaltcu

Great article, I agree 100%. Big East is more stable that the Big12 right now in my opinion. Stay put and continue to kick a on our own

HickoryFlameFrog

UT has never played fair.
Back in the day before scholarship limitations they stockpiled players.
Read Meat on the Hoof.
They already have more money than Gawd.
They will find ways to mine gold from the LHN that most have not thought possible.
They will use this money to buy coaches and players.
They will use this money for every advantage for themselves and at the same time
create disadvantages for their competitors.

The NCAA is powerless to administer any fairness in college athletics.
The Big 12 or whatever it is going to be needs to man-up.
They have the power. Stand up to Texas. And if Texas walks. Let them.
The day will come when even the Texas Legislature won't save Tech from the greed and power hungry demon that is UT.

Cockroaches are just messing things up cause that is what they do.
UT is worse because they are choosing to mess-over everybody.