• The KillerFrogs

FWST: TCU fans shouldn't allow Big 12 dreams to fool them

HickoryFlameFrog

You think the network NOW gives them the money to buy coaches. If money bought our assistants they'd already be there. So let's go to the BE and take even less $ in case UT wants to buy our coaches. With this kind of thinking you should be in Washington instead of this silly board.
The point was UT does not play fair.
They will get what they want or keep you from having it.
They already more than enough money to do whatever they please.
The NCAA is powerless.
Conferences with a spine and collective will can limit UT's voracious greed.

The fact is that TCU has a difficult decision to make.
I will support TCU whatever the decision.

As for me being in Washington, there are more than enough azzhats there, one more wouldn't make that much difference.
If you were actually implying that I belong in Washington because you think my line of thought the same as those in Washington
then you can butt a stump.

Genbukan

Both sides have made some very good points. There are so many unknowns that it makes finding the right solution more art than science.

By being the only Texas school in another conference TCU has been able to differentiate themselves not only from ut - but from tech, baylor, a$m, uh, smu, rice etc. The rise in applications is coming primarily from where? Out of state. The TV numbers from the Rose Bowl were because we were a national story - not a regional one (like OU vs. UConn).

If you go back to the big xii, not only are you dealing with the devil (ut) all over again - your changing your branding strategy from one that's been imminently successful. TCU is now the same as Tech, baylor, OSU etc. Yeah, I have no doubt we'll be more successful on the field but no matter how successful we become were in the same forest as ut - and they block out a lot of sunlight!

The issue is obviously the stability of the BEast. If you can get teh assurance that whats left will stay, you add programs that will allow you to get TV dollars that are at least competitive with the other AQ conferences - we can continue to build a national brand. A brand that is gaining regular media exposure on the east coast. A brand that allows CJC to recruit a totally different caliber of athlete. A program that will allow LHCGP to continue to get talent from Kansas, and Florida and New Jersy and Louisana - not just from Texas.

Either direction entails risk.

for the life of me I can't figure out why the rest of the big xii north don't see the danger of the ut juggernaut. They are in a unique position to just say no to Deloss and cultivate their own brands by going to the Beast. They could enjoy all the benefits I've mentioned (great basketball, east coast media, still an AQ conference) and they'd be equal (and VALUED) partners, not just another of ut's Beotch's.

Dogfrog

Both sides have made some very good points. There are so many unknowns that it makes finding the right solution more art than science.

By being the only Texas school in another conference TCU has been able to differentiate themselves not only from ut - but from tech, baylor, a$m, uh, smu, rice etc. The rise in applications is coming primarily from where? Out of state. The TV numbers from the Rose Bowl were because we were a national story - not a regional one (like OU vs. UConn).

If you go back to the big xii, not only are you dealing with the devil (ut) all over again - your changing your branding strategy from one that's been imminently successful. TCU is now the same as Tech, baylor, OSU etc. Yeah, I have no doubt we'll be more successful on the field but no matter how successful we become were in the same forest as ut - and they block out a lot of sunlight!

The issue is obviously the stability of the BEast. If you can get teh assurance that whats left will stay, you add programs that will allow you to get TV dollars that are at least competitive with the other AQ conferences - we can continue to build a national brand. A brand that is gaining regular media exposure on the east coast. A brand that allows CJC to recruit a totally different caliber of athlete. A program that will allow LHCGP to continue to get talent from Kansas, and Florida and New Jersy and Louisana - not just from Texas.

for the life of me I can't figure out why the rest of the big xii north don't see the danger of the ut juggernaut. They are in a unique position to just say no to Deloss and cultivate their own brands by going to the Beast. They could enjoy all the benefits I've mentioned (great basketball, east coast media, still an AQ conference) and they'd be equal (and VALUED) partners, not just another of ut's Beotch's.

Right there with you, brutha!

P

PurpleDaze

The problem with the Big12 merging into the BE is that the BE will have 17 basketball playing schools and adding 8 more makes an already crowded situation worse.

If the football playing members form their own conference and invite the Big 12 minus Texas, will it be in position for super conference status above the ACC? I think not.

HFrog1999

Good post.

HFrog1999

I don't think many teams want in the Big 12 right now. It appears that BYU turned them down. The rest of the Big East is hoping for either ACC or SEC. I don't think anyone wants to join a conference losing members right now (except for non AQ schools).

purplepreacher

He get's it about as well as anyone else. It's his opinion, and one shared by many people. I instantly tune out anyone in this debate, though, that speaks in absolutes, guarantees, insider FACTS about things that by definition are opinions, etc. There is more than one take on this. It's an interesting debate. If anyone says that they KNOW which choice is best for TCU and the other choice is indefensible, well, they're the one that obviously does not understand.
Well said.I am willing to leave this to the pros (Del Conte and co.). I can see both sides. Gill's article was very insightful. Yeah, I yearn for the dough and prestige of the Big 12, but the details have to be clear, and Bevo is a destabalizing factor.

Stiff Arm Frog

Great post, man. In regard to why Kansas and K-State haven't already defected, I think it may have something to do with the current Big East leadership. I've been one of the most outspoken around here that TCU should by no means join the Big12, but the Achilles heel of the Big East is Marinatto.

Marinatto is an incompetent prune who needs to be fired -- if only the basketball schools shared our hatred. The Kansas schools and maybe Missouri won't join the Big East until either they are forced to, or if the Big East finds someone with enough cojones to look after their well being. Right now, there are no guarantees Marinatto can protect their interests.

At least, that's my theory.