• The KillerFrogs

FWST: Jim Schlossnagle’s lateral move from TCU to Texas A&M is all about timing | Opinion

PurpleBlood87

Hiring a search firm is "window dressing." It may or may not be true. If KS was at the top of the list, no need to hire one. But, saying you did might get some names that are worth exploring. JD might have floated this out there to see who might be interested. He's trying to cover his butt. If he hired KS immediately, and during the next 2 years the team only played .500 ball, the same baseball experts and KS supporters on here would be screaming for JD's head for hiring him without doing a search. I don't blame him one bit!

Search firm is a CYA move.

OmniscienceFrog

If having to hire a search firm for $$$ that could have been used for stadium upgrades, I don't consider that much of a plan.
How many $$$ do you guess a search firm costs for a baseball coach? What percentage of the cost of stadium upgrades do you think they're wasting? Excuse me, he's wasting?

Last edited:

FWSTC Hfrog

How many $$$ do you guess a search firm costs for a baseball coach? What percentage of the cost of stadium upgrades do you think they're wasting? Excuse me, he's wasting?
Tennessee paid 120K EACH for their head football and AD search. These firms do not work for peanuts. My GUESS for a high profile college baseball job search would range in the 75K-100K area. So, yes I do consider that a significant cost. It might buy my section some nice chair backs.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
Tennessee paid 120K EACH for their head football and AD search. These firms do not work for peanuts. My GUESS for a high profile college baseball job search would range in the 75K-100K area. So, yes I do consider that a significant cost. It might buy my section some nice chair backs.
The Search Firm is, as discussed, a CYA move: "See! We exhausted all options! We hired some high-dollar guys to do our jobs for us! Don't fire me, I just did what they suggested!"

It's easy to do CYA moves on OPM.

Eight

so what i am hearing is that for the cost of retaining a search firm we could have fresh diced onions at the concession stands.

completely screwed up priorities in my mind

FWSTC Hfrog

At this point I would be pleased with a fresh coat of paint for the canopy that is LONG over due. Your diced onions will have to get in line.

Froglaw

The Search Firm is, as discussed, a CYA move: "See! We exhausted all options! We hired some high-dollar guys to do our jobs for us! Don't fire me, I just did what they suggested!"

It's easy to do CYA moves on OPM.

I disagree.

Coach 1 is the leading assistant, knows the system, the players like him, so he is the logical choice.

Coach 2 is a national power house coach dug in deep with a national power program. Unknown to the public, he has marital problems, kids that want to go to a private school, has the desire to build his own Program, and is sick of sucking up to certain rich aholes that think they know baseball.

Search firm contacts Coach 2 and shockingly says he's interested.

College World Series, here we come.

That is worth $125k my fellow frogs.

Pharm Frog

I disagree.

Coach 1 is the leading assistant, knows the system, the players like him, so he is the logical choice.

Coach 2 is a national power house coach dug in deep with a national power program. Unknown to the public, he has marital problems, kids that want to go to a private school, has the desire to build his own Program, and is sick of sucking up to certain rich aholes that think they know baseball.

Search firm contacts Coach 2 and shockingly says he's interested.

College World Series, here we come.

That is worth $125k my fellow frogs.

Did not realize that search firms are the only people who have the ability to reach out to prospective employees. Did we shut off ADJD’s cell phone?

06DallasFrog

Everyone hires a search firm? Wrong. The guy (Bjork) that just hired our coach did not use one. The choice and responsibility is his. He fulfilled his part of the job description. I would like to have the figures of the success rate of hiring search firms. That being their recommendations are still at those institutions through the entire initial term of the contract and offered an extension. I do not know the answer, but would guess it is not the slam dunk you suggest.

this is dumb. Everyone knows no school wants to be turned down so a search firm does the work for them so that info is never public. They are only “lucky” as I said because you don’t hear about the misses when you go this route.

You are dumb. You are welcome to defend yourself but I don’t log in often enough anymore to care.

FWSTC Hfrog

this is dumb. Everyone knows no school wants to be turned down so a search firm does the work for them so that info is never public. They are only “lucky” as I said because you don’t hear about the misses when you go this route.

You are dumb. You are welcome to defend yourself but I don’t log in often enough anymore to care.

"You are dumb"? "Defend yourself"? What nonsense is that.

You might want to re-read the post you were replying to. You are talking about a completely different area than I was. It wasn't about the initial search process itself, but the recommendation and the end results of the recommendations by search firms.

As far as being dumb. I'm smart enough NOT to live in Dallas.

Last edited:

Latest posts