• The KillerFrogs

FWST: Jim Schlossnagle’s lateral move from TCU to Texas A&M is all about timing | Opinion

And yes, he confirmed that Donatelli was authorized to make a huge counter offer.
I'm confused now.

We had this guy negotiating the deal?

p-teenage-mutant-ninja-turtles-corey-feldman.jpg

JogginFrog

@flyfishingfrog didn't just call his shot on JS leaving--he also called his shot on Sarloos being the next head coach. So, I'm trying to read between the lines on his criticism of ADJD not having a plan. I'm fine with ADJD spending the money on the search team, even if only to communicate to the world that KS is more than just the "easy choice." It says something for Sarloos to be deemed to be the best candidate after a national search rather than immediately promoted.

But for Donati to not have that plan ready ahead of time is concerning. He knows that other programs are likely to come after Sarloos, so a national-search-as-window-dressing seems less likely to be cover for Sarloos and more likely to be cover for Donati in his "first big hire."

The late counter-offer adds to that impression. If you're prepared for the guy to go, and you have a plan ready for his replacement, what reason is there to make a counter-offer that you know won't be accepted? I'm OK with gamesmanship to send a message, but the only message I see is encouraging other head coaches to shop around.

In the end, a quick, decisive promotion may have been best for Donati and Sarloos. It would have been easy for ADJD to come out and say that, following the Mississippi State flirtation, he thoroughly researched replacement possibilities including head and assistant coaches at other programs and determined that KS was the man for TCU's next chapter. Now, it increasingly looks like he's not so sure.

They called a special meeting of the BoT over the weekend to get the offer approved - so not really a secret anymore

it was just way too late - that was the only “timing” that was right for A&M - we just didn’t get our crap together in time (like during the previous 3 weeks after Tadlock came off the table for example) and Schloss had made up mind already by the time the offer got approved

So why did we have to call a Saturday night emergency meeting of the BoT to try and cobble an offer together when we had known for weeks he was a target for Aggy and potentially others?

and why were some of the requests made to the BoT in the emergency session the first time a few had ever heard about them when we knew they had to approve anything?

So yeah - he did majorly screw it up and frankly his lack of getting to resolved in the weeks ahead and Schloss bull headedness about the fact that he wasn’t getting a response is what led to it all being too late. Lots of ego involved on both sides

which is somewhat the concern with the current search that seems to actually not have been started at any level before this and we got caught flat
Footed - even having to find a search firm to help from scratch

Article wasn’t bad although mucks explanation on Miss St situation is a bit fantasy
[
Yeah, well there is one particular moron on this board who doesn't believe that TCU would have or could have counter offered.

netty2424

@flyfishingfrog didn't just call his shot on JS leaving--he also called his shot on Sarloos being the next head coach. So, I'm trying to read between the lines on his criticism of ADJD not having a plan. I'm fine with ADJD spending the money on the search team, even if only to communicate to the world that KS is more than just the "easy choice." It says something for Sarloos to be deemed to be the best candidate after a national search rather than immediately promoted.

But for Donati to not have that plan ready ahead of time is concerning. He knows that other programs are likely to come after Sarloos, so a national-search-as-window-dressing seems less likely to be cover for Sarloos and more likely to be cover for Donati in his "first big hire."

The late counter-offer adds to that impression. If you're prepared for the guy to go, and you have a plan ready for his replacement, what reason is there to make a counter-offer that you know won't be accepted? I'm OK with gamesmanship to send a message, but the only message I see is encouraging other head coaches to shop around.

In the end, a quick, decisive promotion may have been best for Donati and Sarloos. It would have been easy for ADJD to come out and say that, following the Mississippi State flirtation, he thoroughly researched replacement possibilities including head and assistant coaches at other programs and determined that KS was the man for TCU's next chapter. Now, it increasingly looks like he's not so sure.
Flyfishingfrog said he had no agent so he had no offer, therefore wasn’t leaving. He was wrong.

And I think it’s somewhat naive to think Donati had no plan. For all of the collective general fan base knows, this could be going exactly as planned if Schloss left.

They called a special meeting of the BoT over the weekend to get the offer approved - so not really a secret anymore

it was just way too late - that was the only “timing” that was right for A&M - we just didn’t get our crap together in time (like during the previous 3 weeks after Tadlock came off the table for example) and Schloss had made up mind already by the time the offer got approved

So why did we have to call a Saturday night emergency meeting of the BoT to try and cobble an offer together when we had known for weeks he was a target for Aggy and potentially others?

and why were some of the requests made to the BoT in the emergency session the first time a few had ever heard about them when we knew they had to approve anything?

So yeah - he did majorly screw it up and frankly his lack of getting to resolved in the weeks ahead and Schloss bull headedness about the fact that he wasn’t getting a response is what led to it all being too late. Lots of ego involved on both sides

which is somewhat the concern with the current search that seems to actually not have been started at any level before this and we got caught flat

Article wasn’t bad although mucks explanation on Miss St situation is a bit fantasy
[

Drunk at 8 AM...impressive.

tcuball3

Ticket Exchange Pass
JS had a very difficult last few years personally and needed a fresh start in a new place. Additionally he is handing the keys to a close friend helping to change his life, totally respect the move assuming both of these assertions are accurate.

FWSTC Hfrog

Flyfishingfrog said he had no agent so he had no offer, therefore wasn’t leaving. He was wrong.

And I think it’s somewhat naive to think Donati had no plan. For all of the collective general fan base knows, this could be going exactly as planned if Schloss left.
If having to hire a search firm for $$$ that could have been used for stadium upgrades, I don't consider that much of a plan.

06DallasFrog

If having to hire a search firm for $$$ that could have been used for stadium upgrades, I don't consider that much of a plan.

Everyone hires a search firm. It guarantees that the university will only talk to one candidate, and it will have been the right candidate the entire time.... search firms are very lucky.

Paint It Purple

[
I suppose there could be exceptions, but I believe in the old concept; “if we need a search firm or consultant, why do we need you?”

netty2424

We’ll just have to disagree on this. Utilizing a search firm may very well pay dividends long term, and may be part of P&P put in place by the university in the event this exact situation comes up.

Again, this may be going exactly as planned.

FWSTC Hfrog

Everyone hires a search firm. It guarantees that the university will only talk to one candidate, and it will have been the right candidate the entire time.... search firms are very lucky.
Everyone hires a search firm? Wrong. The guy (Bjork) that just hired our coach did not use one. The choice and responsibility is his. He fulfilled his part of the job description. I would like to have the figures of the success rate of hiring search firms. That being their recommendations are still at those institutions through the entire initial term of the contract and offered an extension. I do not know the answer, but would guess it is not the slam dunk you suggest.

Hiring a search firm is "window dressing." It may or may not be true. If KS was at the top of the list, no need to hire one. But, saying you did might get some names that are worth exploring. JD might have floated this out there to see who might be interested. He's trying to cover his butt. If he hired KS immediately, and during the next 2 years the team only played .500 ball, the same baseball experts and KS supporters on here would be screaming for JD's head for hiring him without doing a search. I don't blame him one bit!

FWSTC Hfrog

Hiring a search firm is "window dressing." It may or may not be true. If KS was at the top of the list, no need to hire one. But, saying you did might get some names that are worth exploring. JD might have floated this out there to see who might be interested. He's trying to cover his butt. If he hired KS immediately, and during the next 2 years the team only played .500 ball, the same baseball experts and KS supporters on here would be screaming for JD's head for hiring him without doing a search. I don't blame him one bit!
I agree with what you are saying about the reasons for hiring a search firm or acting as if you have. My feeling is that I prefer my AD to be confident enough in his abilities to use his staff, contacts and knowledge and not have to use cover if it doesn't pan out. They get blamed in the end, anyway. His lack of past experience in this position is showing in my opinion. I guess we differ in what we prefer in styles. And, that's OK.

PurpleBlood87

I think he was telling you what he was telling all journalists.

Didn't write him as a journalist. Just let him know I appreciated what he did here and told him he should do what was best for him.

Wrote him about my favorite memory with him.

I think only once did I ever work with coach as a journalist. That might have been his second or third season here and I got bitched out by my editor for taking up one of our photographers time. Until I told him I got five articles out of the visit. Then he was like "ok, good job."

Latest posts