• The KillerFrogs

FWST: Dalton works on little things, but not his DVR skills

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
http://www.star-telegram.com/2010/04/13/21...tle-things.html

[SIZE=14pt]Dalton works on little things, but not his DVR skills[/SIZE]

By STEFAN STEVENSON
sstevenson@star-telegram.com

Andy Dalton is probably as tired of talking about not watching a replay of TCU's Fiesta Bowl loss to Boise State as he is tired of talking about the game itself.

But that's the nature of the beast when you're at the helm of a Horned Frogs offense that has had consecutive years of record-breaking numbers.

The disappointing loss in January was a sharp kick in the gut to the Horned Frogs, who came in riding an unprecedented 12-0 regular season. It left an especially sour taste in Dalton's mouth after he threw three interceptions, including one that gave the Broncos a 7-0 lead when it was returned 51 yards for a touchdown.

"It's definitely a lot of motivation the way we ended it last year," said Dalton, who will graduate in December with a communications degree with a three-hour class load next fall.

"That's not how we wanted it to end, and I think a lot of guys realize that. I think that's pushing us out here."

The sting of the loss made the anticipation of spring camp even more immediate for Dalton, who said it felt good "to get back out here and get to work again."

When his career is over Dalton will likely own TCU records in wins, yards, completions and attempts. He'll surpass legendary Frogs quarterback Sammy Baugh by picking up his 30th victory, which would happen in the season opener Sept. 4 if the Frogs beat Oregon State at Cowboys Stadium. For Dalton, his fourth spring practice is more about refining than learning.

"It's little things now," Dalton said. "Trying to play with defenses, different things like pump fakes, trying to get [defensive backs] to do different things with my eyes, stuff like that. I understand basically everything that's going on, it's just tweaking little things right now."

Meanwhile, Dalton will continue to field questions about the Fiesta Bowl and how long it took him to watch the replay. He's even getting it from family.

"Over Easter break, one of my uncles wanted to watch the game, but luckily that was the only thing we didn't have on the DVR. I don't know how it got deleted," Dalton said slyly. "I was pretty happy it wasn't on there."

Smith on crutches

Freshman running back Dwight Smith, who injured a foot during Saturday's spring game, was on the sidelines on crutches during practice Monday and Tuesday. The exact nature and severity of the injury is undisclosed.

Dawson does it

Skye Dawson, who challenges cornerback Greg McCoy for fastest Horned Frog, made some noise in Tuesday's practice with a catch on a screen pass and then racing about 50 yards for a touchdown. Several plays later Dawson made a similar catch on the opposite side of the field and made a nice shake on the defender to pick up about 10 yards. Add Dawson, a sophomore, to the growing list of potential weapons at wide receiver.

Gresham to be honored

Deep snapper Clint Gresham will be one of 10 players honored by the National Football Foundation Gridiron Club of Dallas on Tuesday at a banquet at Cowboys Stadium. Gresham, the only long snapper invited to the NFL Scouting Combine, was a three-year starter. Gresham was selected for his combined achievement as a student, athlete and leader in the community.

Christian to Canada?

Ryan Christian is trying to follow former Horned Frogs Chase Ortiz and Cory Rodgers to the Canadian Football League. Christian, who finished with 1,858 all-purpose yards at TCU, is scheduled to work out for the Montreal Alouettes on April 25.

Stefan Stevenson, 817-390-7760

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
Smith on crutches

Freshman running back Dwight Smith, who injured a foot during Saturday's spring game, was on the sidelines on crutches during practice Monday and Tuesday. The exact nature and severity of the injury is undisclosed.

I said in the scrimmage thread it looked like his ankle the way he was dangling it coming off, and the way he was favoring it when trying to walk on it, but others swore it was his knee. Bottom line is a foot is much better news.

TEUFELI

QUOTE(TopFrog @ Apr 14 2010, 07:00 AM) [snapback]544548[/snapback]
I said in the scrimmage thread it looked like his ankle the way he was dangling it coming off, and the way he was favoring it when trying to walk on it, but others swore it was his knee. Bottom line is a foot is much better news.

I thought it looked more like ankle than knee too. I'm not really sure why. But I still will wait to hear 'offical' word.

But that is good news if it is anything ankle...even broken. Just gotta pray it isn't Achilles.

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
QUOTE(TEUFELI @ Apr 14 2010, 07:42 AM) [snapback]544558[/snapback]
I thought it looked more like ankle than knee too. I'm not really sure why. But I still will wait to hear 'offical' word.

But that is good news if it is anything ankle...even broken. Just gotta pray it isn't Achilles.

Hopefully just stepped on, a little twist, one of those things where you kinda torque it and strain top ligaments ... minor overall I hope.

dkfrog

Did AD change his major, or is he getting a second degree. I could have sworn he was a Business (Marketing?) Major, but this story says he will be getting a Communications degree...

Anyone know?

bullfrog69

QUOTE(TopFrog @ Apr 14 2010, 09:01 AM) [snapback]544582[/snapback]
Hopefully just stepped on, a little twist, one of those things where you kinda torque it and strain top ligaments ... minor overall I hope.

bottom line, even if it is a severely sprained ankle, or even broken foot, 5 months is PLENTY of time to rehab. ankles can be tricky, but with the type of treatment these players have access to he should be back for sure.

I really do hope it is just his ankle, but I am not sure how much I rely on FWST reporting on this matter. Time will tell and hopefully we find out one way or another soon, here is to hoping.

gdu

QUOTE(bullfrog69 @ Apr 14 2010, 02:13 PM) [snapback]544591[/snapback]
bottom line, even if it is a severely sprained ankle, or even broken foot, 5 months is PLENTY of time to rehab. ankles can be tricky, but with the type of treatment these players have access to he should be back for sure.

Don't think it was a foot. I was prett close to where the trainers worked on him on the sidelines and no one so much as looked at his foot. It was all about his right knee and calf.

bullfrog69

QUOTE(tcugdu @ Apr 14 2010, 09:40 AM) [snapback]544622[/snapback]
Don't think it was a foot. I was prett close to where the trainers worked on him on the sidelines and no one so much as looked at his foot. It was all about his right knee and calf.

maybe you could throw on your reproduction TCU football uniform and stand out at practice and take some pictures

gdu

QUOTE(bullfrog69 @ Apr 14 2010, 02:49 PM) [snapback]544630[/snapback]
maybe you could throw on your reproduction TCU football uniform and stand out at practice and take some pictures

Huh? I haven't worn a jersey since I stopped playing sports and I don't own a TCU football uniform. I did take some pictures at the spring game, though only with my small camera since I would only have been allowed to shoot the first 10 plays (not worth the hassle of bringing one of the bigger ones).

Zammers

I don't care what the FWST says....I know it's the knee. I watched them work on him on the sideline, I talked to Smith, I overheard some guys from Carthage, and I spoke with an East Texas writer. It's the knee.

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
QUOTE(bullfrog69 @ Apr 14 2010, 09:49 AM) [snapback]544630[/snapback]

:tongue:

FeistyFrog

Sir FeistyFrog
QUOTE(Zammers @ Apr 14 2010, 10:40 AM) [snapback]544672[/snapback]
I don't care what the FWST says....I know it's the knee. I watched them work on him on the sideline, I talked to Smith, I overheard some guys from Carthage, and I spoke with an East Texas writer. It's the knee.

So are you the poster who says knee?

fdub

QUOTE(FeistyFrog @ Apr 14 2010, 10:52 AM) [snapback]544678[/snapback]
So are you the poster who says knee?

you smell of elderberry.