• The KillerFrogs

Fun pre-game things to do in Ames

Bob

If you are sitting in your hotel room in Ames, wondering what to do before the game, here are a few suggestions:

1. Walk around the lawn: The central campus includes 490 acres of trees, plants, and classically designed buildings. The landscape's most dominant feature is the 20-acre central lawn, which was listed as a "medallion site" by the American Society of Landscape Architects in 1999.

2. Read comic books: The Special Collections Department at the Parks Library houses a collection of underground comic books from 1947 to 2007. The collection also consists of correspondences between the Special Collections Department, comic book artists, and dealers.

3. Use the Internet: The e-Library, accessed through the Internet, provides access to local and Web-based resources including electronic journals and books, local collections, online indexes, electronic course reserves and guides, and a broad range of subject research guides.

4. See the world's first computer: Iowa State is the birthplace of the first electronic digital computer, the Atanasoff-Berry Computer, or ABC, pioneered important elements of modern computing, including binary arithmetic, regenerative memory, parallel processing, electronic switching elements, and separation of memory and computer functions.

On October 19, 1973, U.S. Federal Judge Earl R. Larson signed his decision which declared the ENIAC patent invalid and named the Atanasoff-Berry Computer or the ABC. An ABC Team consisting of Ames Laboratory and Iowa State engineers, technicians, researchers and students unveiled a working replica of the Atanasoff-Berry Computer in 1997 which can be seen on display on campus in the Durham Computation Center.

5. Get a healthy pre-game glow: Iowa State is the only university nationwide that has a U.S. Department of Energy research laboratory physically located on its campus. The Ames Laboratory is one of ten national DOE Office of Science research laboratories doing research for the government with the development of a highly efficient process for producing high-purity uranium for atomic energy.

6. See a Water Tower: Iowa State's campus contains over 160 buildings. Several buildings, as well as the Marston Water Tower, are listed on the National Register of Historic Places.

7. Visit the Farm House Museum: Located near the center of the Iowa State campus, the Farm House Museum sits as a monument to early Iowa State history and culture

And, after the game go to the Dublin Bay Pub and celebrate the Frogs' Victory.

Pharm Frog

Actually I would really like to go there someday. I have heard it is a nice campus and I enjoyed reading the post.

It is a nice place to visit IMO. I've enjoyed spending some time in Iowa. Used to have a meeting planner vendor based in Des Moines. Found them to be good people.

LeagueCityFrog

The original poster put himself out there, I would challenge you Negative Nancys to stop the urge to be a downer.

Like the original poster, I've also enjoyed Ames. Nice people, nice campus, nice tailgate. Dude made the effort to share, don't be a downer. West Des Moines is also nice. So is Ankeny. Cool brewery there inside an old fire station. One main street in downtown Des Moines to party on. All bars in a row. Nice state capital building.