• The KillerFrogs

Fort Worth Regional discussion

I feel confident that they will get the games played although I'm not as confident that all will get played at Lupton.

I understand you may be 'half-kidding' but there's a ballpark three hours South of here that's available. I can't imagine it would take much to turn it over in 24hrs.

ScottPatrick

DBabdIQUwAAye5w.jpg

TCUdirtbag

Instead of looking at outdated softball rules, I found the actual rules:

http://www.ncaa.org/sites/default/files/2016-17DIMBA_PreChampManual_20170308.pdf
Section 2.1 Championship Format, Regional Format.
"If, for unforeseen circumstances, it becomes impossible to play a regional tournament game(s), the NCAA Division I Baseball Committee is authorized to determine which team in a respective regional shall advance to the super regionals. The inclement weather guidelines for regional competition are listed in the preliminary-rounds host operations manual."

http://www.ncaa.org/sites/default/files/2017DIMBA_PreRdHostOpsManual_20170524.pdf
Section 2 provides the same as above with regard to format (page 7).
Inclement Weather info on Pages 23-25. They are "guidelines" only

Here are relevant guidelines:
1. If Games 1 and 2 on Friday are both cancelled . . . play Games 1 and 2 on Saturday, play Games 3, 4 and 5 on Sunday and Games 6 and 7 (if necessary) on Monday. (0 – 2 – 3 – 2)
14. If both games are cancelled on Friday and both games are cancelled on Saturday . . . play Games 1 and 2 on Sunday, Games 3, 4 and 5 on Monday and Games 6 and 7 (if necessary) on Tuesday. (0 – 0 – 2 – 3 – 2)

This rule may also come into play:
"All regional competition should ideally be completed not later than the Monday before the start of super regional competition."

If they don't finish any today and can't get 2 in Sunday, we may see them call the whole thing off Sunday night because what good does 2 games do for you on Monday?

The bottom line is discretion is left to the NCAA Division 1 Baseball Committee. Hopefully the rain stops and we get 2 in today.

Last edited:

TCUdirtbag

Not at 9am-11am....yes us people do

It poured in the wee hours of the morning. No way the drenched field was ready by 9:00, much less for warm up at 7:30-8:00ish am. UVA arrived at Lupton about 11 am, a the downpour started. And if it had started, it would've been suspended anyway.. There is some consideration to whether starting a game will blow a starting pitcher if a downpour starts soon after play begins.
It's nowhere near as simple as you make it sound.

FYI as an addition to the rules noted above: rule books have a general guideline that no games start after 11 pm and none before Noon on Sunday.