• The KillerFrogs

Flying T Club - NIL

froginmn

I know, right? I bet that sold @tcumaniac right away ;)
I'd be much more interested in a private dinner with the coaching staff.

200w.webp

Moose Stuff

in all honesty that names reek of a cdc marketing think tank and is classic texas trying way too hard
The hilarity of it to me is that talent acquisition has never been their issue so these guys are simply throwing millions of dollars at a problem that they aren’t fixing as much as just potentially keeping it from getting worse. And where does it stop? When A&M give all their OL $160,000 does UT just go to $170,000 and so on……?

Moose Stuff

Another issue that is bound to come up is the kid who demands a redshirt year so he can get $150,000 for 5 years instead of 4.

Meanwhile the coaching staff is gonna be tying to run every kid who isn’t really good out of the program so they can backfill with more potentially good incoming players to give the money to. I can only imagine the amount of transfer portal activity at schools like this. No way they’re letting a kid they know is a career backup stick around 5 years making 6 figures. What a mess.

Wexahu

Another issue that is bound to come up is the kid who demands a redshirt year so he can get $150,000 for 5 years instead of 4.

Meanwhile the coaching staff is gonna be tying to run every kid who isn’t really good out of the program so they can backfill with more potentially good incoming players to give the money to. I can only imagine the amount of transfer portal activity at schools like this. No way they’re letting a kid they know is a career backup stick around 5 years making 6 figures. What a mess.
The more money you hand out to kids that age, the less chance they have of being any good.

vicarfrog

I was mixed on the whole NIL thing. There was a reality that, at a place like TCU, those players are already getting a pretty big pay out via scholarship, etc. But then you weigh against dollars in, etc.
But two things got me to the point where I am now.
A. It is the process now. So, it is what it is. Can't stay on the bench.
B. This could be the opportunity for a private school with a well-known undergraduate business school and significant donors that build huge endowments to level the playing field vs some of the blue bloods.

I had reservations about NIL, but I tell you what, fans and alumni now play a gigantic part in the success of the program. We're just as much in the driver's seat as coaches and players.

I am excited to see that TCU is offering a financial training portion too. I saw a statistic a while back, that the average lifespan of a professional athlete is 3 years and by the time they're done, they're broke and typically swimming in debt. What money I do have, I would be very interested in sponsoring scholarships to Financial Peace University for athletes or something like that.

Otherwise they're getting money, but they're not picking up wealth.

Nick Danger

I had reservations about NIL, but I tell you what, fans and alumni now play a gigantic part in the success of the program. We're just as much in the driver's seat as coaches and players.

I am excited to see that TCU is offering a financial training portion too. I saw a statistic a while back, that the average lifespan of a professional athlete is 3 years and by the time they're done, they're broke and typically swimming in debt. What money I do have, I would be very interested in sponsoring scholarships to Financial Peace University for athletes or something like that.

Another part of that I was wondering about is whether the TCU Business school, that has set up the TCU program, is/will offer some sort of Bachelors/Entrepreneur degree program for becoming a NIL Sports Agent?

Moose Stuff

I’m fully in favor of these kids getting money. Just feel like some type of regulation is needed before it gets completely out of control. No idea how that would come about though.

If I was running one of these things I would certainly be advocating for if not REQUIRING some portion of the money these kids are getting to be saved/invested and not just giving them money to blow through as they please. Hopefully that’s happening.

vicarfrog

Another part of that I was wondering about is whether the TCU Business school, that has set up the TCU program, is/will offer some sort of Bachelors/Entrepreneur degree program for becoming a NIL Sports Agent?
That's a really neat idea!

These players are going to be the pioneers.

vicarfrog

I’m fully in favor of these kids getting money. Just feel like some type of regulation is needed before it gets completely out of control. No idea how that would come about though.

If I was running one of these things I would certainly be advocating for if not REQUIRING some portion of the money these kids are getting to be saved/invested and not just giving them money to blow through as they please. Hopefully that’s happening.

Agreed. That's my one concern. A ton of money doesn't fix bad spending habits and a ton of money doesn't guarantee wealth.

Other than that, I say let it fly. Get a crazy 6 figure deal. If a young man can get 6 figures, have an emergency fund, invest in the stock market, not only would he have zero debt, but you're probably looking at a dude who nobody owns.

stadiumfrog

This link was posted on the other board by someone involved with the group. Thought people over here might be interested. Not everyone has thousands of dollars to give to actually be a “member” so I really like the added option to give $50. All who are able should consider doing this. Will go straight to TCU athletes.

I'm in!

BBG817

The school should use some of its football TV revenue to pay athletes NIL to market TCU and program. Use the tv money to reinvest in the program.

The current model is not sustainable, school takes in tv money to fund many sports programs and pay salaries, donors fund most non-operating expenses, investments, buyouts and NIL, etc.

Mean Purple

They'll have to be careful about what they "require." Basically, kids are getting NIL deals as independent contractors. School probably not in a hurry to take actions that, in the eyes of the irs, could be seen as acting as a direct employer. That area is one of the favored targets of the irs and DOL.