• The KillerFrogs

Flying T Club - NIL

LisaLT

I can't speak for all the groups doing NIL...I do know that the Flying T Club is not tax deductible and that was by design. (No I am not affiliated with Flying T Club but am a member) Non Profits can fall under a very high amount of tax scrutiny and in order efficiently be able to get the money into the right hands it was decided not to form a 501c3.... The club is working directly with TCU though so university officials are aware of all the work being done. It isn't just rogue group.
I guess if the membership was made by a corporation perhaps it could be written off by a creative accountant :)

LisaLT

I can't speak for all the groups doing NIL...I do know that the Flying T Club is not tax deductible and that was by design. (No I am not affiliated with Flying T Club but am a member) Non Profits can fall under a very high amount of tax scrutiny and in order efficiently be able to get the money into the right hands it was decided not to form a 501c3.... The club is working directly with TCU though so university officials are aware of all the work being done. It isn't just rogue group.
do you know how many members there are so far? I see that the Platinum membership gets an invite for a private dinner with ADJD.

Semper frog

This link was posted on the other board by someone involved with the group. Thought people over here might be interested. Not everyone has thousands of dollars to give to actually be a “member” so I really like the added option to give $50. All who are able should consider doing this. Will go straight to TCU athletes.

Athletes would be the last people I would contribute money to.

Mean Purple

Agreed…..The last part was what I didn’t grasp at first. My initial reaction was this just further separates the haves from the have nots, but what it really does is separate the WILLS from the WILL NOTS. As an example….. if they wanted to (which I’m certain they won’t) a school like Rice with tons of wealthy donors could now make a run at being relevant. We’re well beyond where Rice is starting from but the same applies to TCU. This is our chance assuming people with the means to do it step up.
That's how it was decades ago, early in college football.

Semper frog

Solid contribution to the thread. A forum where TCU SPORTS is the focus may not be the place for you.
I didn't go to Tcu and have supported them over twenty years with my season ticket purchases, and have been a fan for over forty five years. Because I won't dole out money to kids who have greater advantages than I ever had doesn't mean I'm not a sports fan.

Wexahu

Here’s the kind of stuff we’re going to have to try and compete with…

Not much incentive for a kid to go to class and try and get a degree. I wonder what happens if a kid is academically ineligible. Or is that even a thing anymore? Honest question.....are they just going to look the other way when it comes to players actually going to school and legitimately taking (and passing) classes toward a degree? I've hardly heard of that being talked about at all anymore, I guess nobody cares.

I don't have the wherewithal to be a meaningful contributor, but if I did, I'd want to know exactly what the rules are and what the obligations are of those I was contributing to before I'd give anything. This sounds an awful lot like just passing money around to kids to try and keep them on campus, surely it's way deeper than that.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
Not much incentive for a kid to go to class and try and get a degree. I wonder what happens if a kid is academically ineligible. Or is that even a thing anymore? Honest question.....are they just going to look the other way when it comes to players actually going to school and legitimately taking (and passing) classes toward a degree? I've hardly heard of that being talked about at all anymore, I guess nobody cares.

I don't have the wherewithal to be a meaningful contributor, but if I did, I'd want to know exactly what the rules are and what the obligations are of those I was contributing to before I'd give anything. This sounds an awful lot like just passing money around to kids to try and keep them on campus, surely it's way deeper than that.
1.) There are no rules.
2.) School? (See: Item 1)
3.) Obligations? (See: Item 1)

TCU has made an effort to see that the NIL money (Rank bribery?) is utilized wisely. It could turn out to be a useless gesture. No one knows. The thing is, 98% of kids do not go to the NFL, and this is a chance to make some money now. If they utilize the opportunities that are there for them, get their degree/Masters, invest wisely, prepare for the future, then I feel like it is a good thing. The chances of it happening are up to the kids.

At this point, I am betting on the kids. Modestly, but there it is.