• The KillerFrogs

Fire Joe Gillespie

Cfrog1985

Ticket Exchange Pass
3-3-5 is the perfect scheme, you just have to play more aggressive with the blitz packages. It gives you ultimate flexibility. We were more aggressive last night...especially after the 1st qtr.

Last nignt is not a good indicator. 15 drops, multiple 4th down failed attempts when they could have had chipshot Fgs. If we play SMU like that we will lose. Our defense will give up 35 not 13. Special teams defense needs to be way too. Far from the perfect defense. When the base defense sucks, it's not perfect. Our front 3 rarely get pressure.

SMU is much better on offense, defense and coaching than Houston. Tough matchup incoming
Lord knows those dbags are going to make it their superbowl, still pissy about TCU cancelling the series (Which I am in favor of, crappy fans, dumpster fire stadium and zero benefit to TCU).

But offense is improving and if defense plays like second half we have a very solid chance.

Last edited:

Hemingway

Last nignt is not a good indicator. 15 drops, multiple 4th down failed attempts when they could have had chipshot Fgs. If we play SMU like that we will lose. Our defense will give up 35 not 13. Special teams defense needs to be way too. Far from the perfect defense. When the base defense sucks, it's not perfect. Our front 3 rarely get pressure.

SMU is much better on offense, defense and coaching than Houston. Tough matchup incoming
Lord knows those dbags are going to make it their superbowl, still pissy about TCU cancelling the series (Which I am in favor of, crappy fans, dumpster fire stadium and zero benefit to TCU).

But offense is improving and if defense plays like second half we have a very solid chance.
And smu has dumpster fire trolls on this board….

Cfrog1985

Ticket Exchange Pass
Did you see how many catches UH receivers dropped last night. A semi competent receiving Corp, and there would have been more points put up.

Not saying D performance wasn't improved, but still room to go!

Yes and why use a 3-3-5 if the base D is bad and you have to modify it every down? Why not make the front 4.

Eight

Yes and why use a 3-3-5 if the base D is bad and you have to modify it every down? Why not make the front 4.

he prefers a 3-man front when he has the people to run it, the frogs didn't haven't had legit de' in a few years to effectively run a 4-man front, and they have recruited to run the 3-man front

there are effective defenses than run a 3-man front, he might have his issues scheme wise, but there are also issues with young defensive lineman developing and linebackers and safeties who struggle in coverage

there was far, far more talent on the offensive side of the program than the defensive side of the program when sonny was named head coach

Cfrog1985

Ticket Exchange Pass
he prefers a 3-man front when he has the people to run it, the frogs didn't haven't had legit de' in a few years to effectively run a 4-man front, and they have recruited to run the 3-man front

there are effective defenses than run a 3-man front, he might have his issues scheme wise, but there are also issues with young defensive lineman developing and linebackers and safeties who struggle in coverage

there was far, far more talent on the offensive side of the program than the defensive side of the program when sonny was named head coach

That I agree with it talent wise. But if you don't have the personal to run a base defense, modify it. Our pressure with 3 is essentially zero. Giving a QB 6 seconds to throw is a disaster. It also relies on great secondary coverage and so far it's been very hit or miss.

Hoping we continue to see a ton of tweaks to use what we do have. Also hoping secondary plays better, I feel like there is still great talent in the secondary but more so a matter of execution. Could be totally wrong though.

Preston Stone should be a good test. My word that name is ridiculous.

Eight

That I agree with it talent wise. But if you don't have the personal to run a base defense, modify it. Our pressure with 3 is essentially zero. Giving a QB 6 seconds to throw is a disaster. It also relies on great secondary coverage and so far it's been very hit or miss.

Hoping we continue to see a ton of tweaks to use what we do have. Also hoping secondary plays better, I feel like there is still great talent in the secondary but more so a matter of execution. Could be totally wrong though.

Preston Stone should be a good test. My word that name is ridiculous.

they have at times, they have blitzed more and more and i suspect we will continue, but this is part of the issue of growing young players

paul oyewale has gotten better over these three games, you can see where he has started to get more and more disruptive, but he has a long way to go and so do those other young defensive linemen

your older guys are limited in what they physically can do and that is the same at linebacker and safety so they are trying to knit together using the old guys and developing the young ones

Eight

Agree. Current personnel should dictate your D scheme, instead of stubbornly sticking to " your scheme" that lacks the proper guys to effectively run it!

so what scheme do they fit because it darn well isn't a four man front in terms of pass rush and that is the biggest concern they have at this time

Froggy Style

Modify? It's called being able to blitz from 10 different ways, or simply not at all. The front four limits your variations and gives the benefit to quick passing teams.

Just about every team has moved this direction to combat RPO teams. Nobody is buying the "frogfan" bit, you don't sign up the year after a national championship run (in week 3) as some sort of superfan.

Cfrog1985

Ticket Exchange Pass
Modify? It's called being able to blitz from 10 different ways, or simply not at all. The front four limits your variations and gives the benefit to quick passing teams.

Just about every team has moved this direction to combat RPO teams. Nobody is buying the "frogfan" bit, you don't sign up the year after a national championship run (in week 3) as some sort of superfan.

I wouldn't say I'm a super fan but your delusional conspiracy theories are your own. Honestly I just really got back into college football last year. Went to the Michigan game and unfortunately the NC game.

I'm more like a mediocre fan that was a huge fan while in college. I used to be a huge NFL fan and I barely know who the starting QB is for my teams now.

Regardless, when they rush 3, it fails nearly 100% of the time. Especially on 3rd and long. If anyone seems overly testy and pissy in the thread it's you.

Cfrog1985

Ticket Exchange Pass
so what scheme do they fit because it darn well isn't a four man front in terms of pass rush and that is the biggest concern they have at this time

Constant exotic play calling I guess? Aggressive and take the pain is better than prevent and guarantee the first down. So maybe you're right, 3-3-5 but constantly switch it every down and be aggressive as hell. That and better secondary play may be the best.

Frog Attack II

D needs to improve but we gave up 266 total yards and no TD's. That's it. Many talking about the UH drops. Well, what if that was because they were scared of getting smacked? What if we didn't drop about 5-6 passes of our own? Shoulda / coulda / woulda.... at the end of the day, take the W. Our D isn't dominate. Same as last year. Hopefully we get better.

CountryFrog

15 drops, huh?

Frog DJ

I wouldn't say I'm a super fan but your delusional conspiracy theories are your own.

If anyone seems overly testy and pissy in the thread it's you.
I’m not overly concerned about fans of other schools who come here falsely posing as TCU alums to try and stir up trouble. I sincerely don’t care.

However, when a poster who has recently joined us immediately begins by complaining about the ineptitude of the team or staff, it does give pause.

Being overly combative or vaguely ambiguous about one’s alma mater or allegiances is almost guaranteed to raise red flags with long time members.

Again - I don’t give two flying horse apples about a poster’s motives, but don’t be surprised if some people around here think you sound like a troll.

Go Frogs!

JugbandFrog

Agree. Current personnel should dictate your D scheme, instead of stubbornly sticking to " your scheme" that lacks the proper guys to effectively run it!
Hodges is best at or near the LOS. Dropping back and covering rbs and slot receivers is not a strength, yet Gillespie keeps doing it.

It’s all hubris. Too many coordinators feel like they have to prove that it is all because of their genius that things happen. Just play good football.