• The KillerFrogs

Finebaum Can't Watch More Than 2 Games a Week

Wexahu

I didn't watch the entire show but about 30 seconds of the CFP rankings. Herbstreet used the "weather, early start time" as a factor that affected LSU but "they found a way to get the win". Funny how they found a way against an average Arkansas team but we squeak by against Texas even though the score is not any indication of the game. I laughed cause I remember a couple years ago when he used the late start on the west coast as a reason one of the Big 10 teams was struggling in a game.

I'm sure they believe what they say on tv but I am curious to know if they truly have that viewpoint. Like dipsh** Stephan A has made his "mark" (and I use that loosely) on being obnoxious and picking sides that will get the most people fired up. If he wasn't on tv acting like an ass, would he feel the same. Probably so, but would be interesting to see.
Herbstreit has said plenty of nice things about TCU. Specifically said at the end of the UT game, "if you were impressed by TCU before, you only come away from this game more impressed with them". I guess you just ignore that stuff and just hyper focus on the "negative" or any positive comments about other teams.

KTown Frog

Herbstreit has said plenty of nice things about TCU. Specifically said at the end of the UT game, "if you were impressed by TCU before, you only come away from this game more impressed with them". I guess you just ignore that stuff and just hyper focus on the "negative" or any positive comments about other teams.
Had more to do with the using the start time of a game as an excuse for why a team struggles. I never said he was all negative on TCU, simply stating what he said about LSU playing an early game in cold weather as why the "gutted out a win."

Wexahu

Had more to do with the using the start time of a game as an excuse for why a team struggles. I never said he was all negative on TCU, simply stating what he said about LSU playing an early game in cold weather as why the "gutted out a win."
Did they not? Kinda like how we gutted out wins against WVU, OSU, KSU, KU, SMU, etc.

I mean, that's kinda what you have to do sometimes.

G Mother Froggen P

Lol, that video cracked me up. I've always hated SA for his horrific takes and lack of any rationale reasoning. This adds to his incredible legacy of Screamin A' not knowing what the hell he's talking about.

mc1502

I don't buy that argument as much. We weren't motivated to beat them last year because they're a hated rival and the only way for our awful season to be partially redeemed was to ruin their great run. We beat them last year b/c the culture under CGP that had caused us to underperform all season vanished when CGP was canned. Sure, he stayed on for the week to install his game plan, but he had no power over the players anymore and they were free to play loose and fast.

Baylor this year isn't as talented a football team. They aren't underperforming like we did last year. They don't currently have a QB or WRs capable of doing what Chandler did last year. They aren't going to go 10-0 next year with the same personnel they have this season. They don't have a toxic culture in the locker room getting released by Aranda's departure this week. There are so many differences between our team last year and their team this year that I don't think this argument makes enough sense to defend.
Never thought about that before. That the stellar performance in last year's BU game may have been the result of the players feeling the relief GP being out of the picture.

SwissArmyFrog

Baylor went 12-2 and won the Big 12 championship and Sugar Bowl last year and finished ranked #5 in the country. They’re already bowl-eligible, so they can play loose. And they want to avenge last season when we somehow beat them and might have cost them a shot at the playoff. This is going to be a dog flight on Saturday.
I get it, but - IIRC, and I may not - they were playing for a possible spot in the conference championship game last week and laid a gigantic [ Finebaum ] in their own Crapper.

gofor2

Baylor went 12-2 and won the Big 12 championship and Sugar Bowl last year and finished ranked #5 in the country. They’re already bowl-eligible, so they can play loose. And they want to avenge last season when we somehow beat them and might have cost them a shot at the playoff. This is going to be a dog flight on Saturday.

They aren't that good this year. They have a lot of new starters, their defense has taken a big step back and their QB is error prone. We could win by 4-7 or by as many as 21 and neither would surprise me. That and I don't think they get up for playing us - you can see it in their body language. It's just another game for them. I don't think avenge or revenge is a factor. If anything is motivating them, its getting embarrassed at home last week but that's probably it.

PurplFrawg

Administrator
In his defense, Finebaum just doesn't have enough time in the week to watch more than a couple of games. What with catheter changes, getting his truss adjusted, recharging his hearing aids (with ears like his, that happens a lot), getting the oil changed in his wheelchair, etc, the time just flies by.

Last edited:

Wexahu

Here, TCU currently has a 54% chance of getting in the playoff with a loss to either Baylor or Iowa State. Tennessee with a 68% chance if they win out.
Interesting, but I think 54% is too high. Maybe way too high. It also gives Michigan a 57% of making it if they lose to Ohio State next week. I think that is way too high as well. I'd be shocked if they put UM in ahead of Tennessee or a 1-loss conference champ, and if they lose to OSU there just won't be a spot for them.

Interesting, but I think 54% is too high. Maybe way too high. It also gives Michigan a 57% of making it if they lose to Ohio State next week. I think that is way too high as well. I'd be shocked if they put UM in ahead of Tennessee or a 1-loss conference champ, and if they lose to OSU there just won't be a spot for them.
Yep, the 57% for Michigan after losing to Ohio State does not appear to make sense, so that toy tool loses some credibility.

But, I think TCU still has a good chance with one loss and a P5 CONFERENCE CHAMPIONSHIP. Assumimg the committee measures “quality wins” more than that one loss (I remember 2014), then a road win at Baylor could have more value than a home win versus Iowa State. May seem counterintuitive, because that Iowa State loss would be an ugly one, but a road win at Baylor against a team most perceive as better than Iowa State brings more value to the “quality wins” side of the ledger. And as far as the loss, maybe the committee will consider the grind of TCU playing 11 consecutive weeks.

That being said, Colorado not being a “quality win,” could cause TCU to be one good win short when compared to Clemson or USC. Root for SMU to beat Memphis so the ponies finish with a winning record; that may be very important, ha.

Last edited:

Wexahu

Yep, the 57% for Michigan after losing to Ohio State does not appear to make sense, so that toy tool loses some credibility.

But, I think TCU still has a good chance with one loss and a P5 CONFERENCE CHAMPIONSHIP. Assumimg the committee measures “quality wins” more than that one loss (I remember 2014), then a road win at Baylor could have more value than a home win versus Iowa State. May seem counterintuitive, because that Iowa State loss would be an ugly one, but a road win at Baylor against a team most perceive as better than Iowa State brings more value to the “quality wins” side of the ledger. And as far as the loss, maybe the committee will consider the grind of TCU playing 11 consecutive weeks.

That being said, Colorado not being a “quality win,” could cause TCU to be one good win short. Root for SMU to beat Memphis so that they finish with a winning record.
Also, it gives us a better chance to make it as a 1-loss CC than either Clemson or USC. Not sure I agree with that, especially USC.

They'll have one loss being a 1-point game at Utah and wins over UCLA, Notre Dame, and Utah/Oregon (and Oregon State although not sure they'll be ranked in the end). I don't think they'll win out, but that scenario would be tough to overcome for the Frogs if it comes down to us and USC. I think if we lose tomorrow and USC wins USC will probably pass us in next week's rankings and I don't see how we jump back ahead if they keep winning.

JogginFrog

One issue with the tool is that it leaves out 1-loss North Carolina. If Clemson loses the ACC title game, those likelihood percentage points will mostly shift to UNC and not be distributed to other teams. (The simulator also mistakenly lists Clemson-UNC as a regular-season game since the matchup is already locked in. So it essentially simulates the effect of those teams playing twice.)

Wexahu

One issue with the tool is that it leaves out 1-loss North Carolina. If Clemson loses the ACC title game, those likelihood percentage points will mostly shift to UNC and not be distributed to other teams. (The simulator also mistakenly lists Clemson-UNC as a regular-season game since the matchup is already locked in. So it essentially simulates the effect of those teams playing twice.)
Haven’t paid much attention to UNC or seen them play at all but that is about as unimpressive a resume a 9-1 P5 team could have. Lots of very close wins (3 points or less) over very average teams. I can see why they are ranked where they are. Don’t think they are much of a threat to a 12-1 champ TCU.