• The KillerFrogs

Even Barry Alvarez finally admits it publicly

Double V

Should have done BCS formula, added the committee as another metric to include in the average, then take the top 4.

The second they went to committee only, they showed their hand that it's all a sham.

tcudoc

Someone may want to check on Wex and see if he’s okay.
giphy.gif

The enduring bias among pollsters who promote certain college football programs is legendary. Jim Swink should have

been the recipient of the 1955 Heisman Trophy but the enormous clout of Ohio State was simply to much to overcome.

Wexahu

Someone may want to check on Wex and see if he’s okay.

I'm just fine, thank you. This doesn't change my opinion one bit. It would have been hard to explain how a 12-1 team who went undefeated in their conference and won their CCG by 59 points (and played a much more difficult OOC than the two teams they were being compared to) was left out over a pair of 11-1 teams who shared their conference championship. 2015 Ohio State had essentially the EXACT same resume as 2014 TCU and they didn't make it either. It happens, sometimes circumstances and luck can be a big kick to the balls.

Bob Sugar

I'm just fine, thank you. This doesn't change my opinion one bit. It would have been hard to explain how a 12-1 team who went undefeated in their conference and won their CCG by 59 points (and played a much more difficult OOC than the two teams they were being compared to) was left out over a pair of 11-1 teams who shared their conference championship. 2015 Ohio State had essentially the EXACT same resume as 2014 TCU and they didn't make it either. It happens, sometimes circumstances and luck can be a big kick to the balls.
RG0BS1U.gif

Eight

what is the tired old joke about what do you get when a committee designs a horse-a camel.

this thing was destined to be a [ Finebaum ] show from the start. you have 5 conferences and no set way to determine which of those five champions is going to be picked for the four available play-off spots.

what we did get was a committee of supposed experts including people with direct and indirect ties to the various conferences, a former secretary of state, and people who at one time either played or worked in college athletics.

so no set guidelines, a [ clusterfarg ] of experts and instead of getting a camel from our committee we get ice skating or big air or diving or one of those olympic sports where people throw out technical [ Finebaum ] like it is supposed to mean something, include math formulas to try to highbrow it up, and in the end it still comes down to choice and bias

i know people hate the idea of auto bids because someone who "doesn't belong" might get in and win the thing, but i will accept that risk over this current overhyped, underwhelming, month long self gratification by espn

Mean Purple

Not that hard to explain...
VTvsOSUFinalScore.jpg

Wexahu

this thing was destined to be a [ steaming pile of Orgeron ] show from the start. you have 5 conferences and no set way to determine which of those five champions is going to be picked for the four available play-off spots.

You are exactly right about that, but the main reason the system can't work is because college football fan bases are completely incapable of considering any kind of outcome that doesn't put their team in the best position as fair.

The committee members have no chance. No matter what they do they will be criticized because that's what college football fans do. Check out the comments after every single poll or rankings is released, it's nonstop bitching about bias, agendas, etc.....how the teams are ranked is irrelevant to that, it's a given every single week. You, Eight, could come out with a Top 25 poll every week and post it online and there'd be an avalanche of comments about you have your head up your ass, don't know jack [ Finebaum ] about football, are a shill for whatever conference, yada yada yada, the list goes on. Doesn't mean you are biased or that you have an agenda or don't know your football, it just means that you released a poll that ranks teams. You do that and you'll get roasted for it by the typical college football fan.

Unfortunately, with a limited amount of weeks to play and 100+ teams (and 60-something FBS teams) that play wildly unbalanced schedules, it's about the best formula that can be used right now. Everyone complained about computers too and if we went to automatic bids, I can assure you there'd be bitching about that too because that's what college football fans do. They aren't happy unless everyone blows sunshine up their favorite teams ass every week.

Eight

wexahu, i agree with you that there is no one solution to this that will make all college football fans, but don't agree why the main reason the system can't work.

there has always been bias in picking a national champion at this level of college football from the start. first, it was by poll and didn't include bowl game results.

then it was polls including bowl game results followed by the bcs and the plus one

each variation since the inclusion of the bowl games has been driven by the conferences and has been gerrymandered as to minimize the damage to the bowls.

one thing that became quite obvious with just the plus one was any type of play-off structure was going to do significant damage to the bowls.

quite frankly there is no logical explanation for ditching the computers and putting in the committee that was chosen. there is no logical explanation why you would only pick 4 teams out of 5 conferences with no clear means to identify the 4 best teams.

we have ended up with this rube goldberg methodology of selecting teams because college football at this level is driven by the 5 conferences and they are driven by espn. espn also owns the broadcast rights to most of the bowl games and the more teams taken out of the bowl pool the more damage done to the bowls ratings.

additionally, espn wants the fake drama of the [ deposit from a bull that looks like Art Briles ] weekly show discussing the rankings when we all know the only ranking that matters is the last one. espn doesn't give a [ Finebaum ] who is watching on saturday as that is fairly consistent. they want a story line they can hammer away for those 6 other days and this method provides that to them.

if we had 5 automatics and the top 3 qualifiers that crushes the big bowls and has fans focusing only on the weekend results and not the talking heads on espn. there is money to be made by espn from the chaos and that is the single biggest factor in this entire thing.

it was never about building the best system, it was how do we make the most money and do the least amount of damage to the institutional status quo of college football

wexahu, i agree with you that there is no one solution to this that will make all college football fans, but don't agree why the main reason the system can't work.

there has always been bias in picking a national champion at this level of college football from the start. first, it was by poll and didn't include bowl game results.

then it was polls including bowl game results followed by the bcs and the plus one

each variation since the inclusion of the bowl games has been driven by the conferences and has been gerrymandered as to minimize the damage to the bowls.

one thing that became quite obvious with just the plus one was any type of play-off structure was going to do significant damage to the bowls.

quite frankly there is no logical explanation for ditching the computers and putting in the committee that was chosen. there is no logical explanation why you would only pick 4 teams out of 5 conferences with no clear means to identify the 4 best teams.

we have ended up with this rube goldberg methodology of selecting teams because college football at this level is driven by the 5 conferences and they are driven by espn. espn also owns the broadcast rights to most of the bowl games and the more teams taken out of the bowl pool the more damage done to the bowls ratings.

additionally, espn wants the fake drama of the [ deposit from a bull that looks like Art Briles ] weekly show discussing the rankings when we all know the only ranking that matters is the last one. espn doesn't give a [ steaming pile of Orgeron ] who is watching on saturday as that is fairly consistent. they want a story line they can hammer away for those 6 other days and this method provides that to them.

if we had 5 automatics and the top 3 qualifiers that crushes the big bowls and has fans focusing only on the weekend results and not the talking heads on espn. there is money to be made by espn from the chaos and that is the single biggest factor in this entire thing.

it was never about building the best system, it was how do we make the most money and do the least amount of damage to the institutional status quo of college football
Liked for the Rube Goldberg reference.

Jackson

Although TCU deserved (the refs made sure Baylor stayed in the game) to be among the FOUR in 2014 there was zero possibility of TCU getting into the playoffs with that one loss. The Big X (Ohio State) had the votes of both B. Alvarez & T. Osborne and the Big XII had only their one “connected” vote. At the time the Big X was considered to be possibly the worst P5 football conference and those voters weren’t going to let TCU in ahead of their tOSU. ANYONE who thinks these BCS Voters don’t vote in blocks in crazy. As long as the Big XII only holds a single vote they will always be at a huge disadvantage against those conferences with one or more “connected” voters.

Gil LeBreton

One more time....

8-team playoff.
All 5 Power Five conference champions, plus 3 wild cards
Teams seeded 1 through 8.
First-round games at campus sites on the Saturday after regular season ends.
No conference championship games. ($$$ is made up by increased cash from first round playoff games).
The 4 first-round winners advance to the current set-up with semifinal games & championship game.
The 4 first-round losers are free to accept bowl invitations, as usual, and play another game.
No bowl games are eliminated.
No weeks are added to season.
No Power Five conferences left out of playoffs.
Room for Cinderella team from Group of Five.

This is the LeBreton plan. (And I realize I'll probably die before we ever see anything like it...sigh.)

Gil LeBreton

I'd leave that to the conferences to decide...on their own time.
But why stage a conference championship game if the CFP is going to choose a team that finished 2d in its own division (Alabama, 2017)?

I'd give the leagues 14 weeks to fit their games in. If they want to use Week 14 for a championship game, let them do it.

But the CFP voters should not feel bound by those games to give a playoff spot to a team just because it won a trophy.
Let them pick who they think are the eight most deserving teams.

Championship games are just inventory (their word, not mine) for the networks.

One of the arguments against an expanded playoff system is the health issue involved in adding an extra game. But eliminate the conference championship games and there would be no extra games.

Froglaw

Rewatching TCU v Ole Miss.

Yep, that group of Frogs were so overrated.

Wexahu is a such a FRINGE FAN. (Reference the Rivals Thread on our two new commits yesterday).

OmniscienceFrog

I'd leave that to the conferences to decide...on their own time.
But why stage a conference championship game if the CFP is going to choose a team that finished 2d in its own division (Alabama, 2017)?

I'd give the leagues 14 weeks to fit their games in. If they want to use Week 14 for a championship game, let them do it.

But the CFP voters should not feel bound by those games to give a playoff spot to a team just because it won a trophy.
Let them pick who they think are the eight most deserving teams.

Oh yeah, that's always worked really well.

Tell the committee they can pick a team that didn't win their CCG as an at-large, but they can't be seeded higher than 7th.