• The KillerFrogs

Even Barry Alvarez finally admits it publicly

OmniscienceFrog

Alvarez added that the committee "screwed up" in 2014, the first year of the playoff. Baylor and TCU tied for the Big 12 title, each at 8-1, without a championship game to boost the resume of a potential victor.

TCU dropped from No. 3 to No. 6 in the CFP Rankings despite winning its final game by 52 points over Iowa State. Baylor went from No. 6 to No. 5 after beating No. 9 Kansas State. Meanwhile, Ohio State slipped into the playoff ahead of TCU on the strength of a Big Ten Championship Game blowout of Wisconsin.

"That last week, [I asked], 'Guys why would we do this? Baylor and TCU sitting there like that," Alvarez said. "It's going to be hard to explain."

"https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/should-the-college-football-playoff-expand-to-six-teams-barry-alvarez-is-convinced/

Zubaz

Glad you're speaking up 4 years later Barry. That REALLY helps us out so much.
He doesn't care about us, and there's no doubt in mind he thinks they got it right in 2014 and would do it again. He's just peeved now that the same criteria kept his team out this year. Oh now all of the sudden big margins don't count and outright titles don't matter? Cry me a river, sweater vest, that sword cuts both ways .

SnoSki

"That last week, [I asked], 'Guys why would we do this?
giphy.gif

SnoSki

[ profanity ] this. As Wisky’s AD, he (and his B1G brethren) were in line for a huge conference-sharing payout if the Bucknuts made the playoff. That’s the inherent corruption of having sitting ADs in the committee: No one’s going to vote their own athletic department out of a few million dollars.

I never thought that I wanted to bring back the computers but...

(Not saying the bcs formula. Something else.)

Zubaz

I never thought that I wanted to bring back the computers but...

(Not saying the bcs formula. Something else.)
If they aren't going to do auto-bids (which I don't think they should do), I'd be fine with the last incarnation of the BCS formula. I think the computers got it right pretty much every year after they made that tweak in...2004 or 2005 was it?

SnoSki

If they aren't going to do auto-bids (which I don't think they should do), I'd be fine with the last incarnation of the BCS formula. I think the computers got it right pretty much every year after they made that tweak in...2004 or 2005 was it?

The reason I say something new is totally selfish: I think the frogs would’ve been left out in 2014 even with that same formula.