• The KillerFrogs

DMN: TCU's offseason has been quiet when it comes to staff changes; why that's no surprise

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
DMN: TCU's offseason has been quiet when it comes to staff changes; why that's no surprise

By Dean Straka , Sports Digital Editor Contact Dean Straka on Twitter: @dwstraka49

As college football teams across the nation reload with new coaching hires for the 2019 season, Gary Patterson, unlike many of his Big 12 counterparts, hasn’t exactly been quick to join the party,

The TCU football head coach, who has held the same post since December 2000, didn’t oversee the results many anticipated for the Horned Frogs in 2018. TCU finished the season 7-6 -- winning three straight contests to end the year -- after beginning the season as the AP No. 16 team in the country, fresh off a 11-3 year and an AP Top 10 finish in 2017. And yet that hasn't -- at least for now -- warranted the need for any major overhaul to his staff.

As of Wednesday, no official coaching staff changes have been announced by the program. It’s a sharp contrast from the rest of the Big 12 landscape, which has been dominated by transition of late.

Read more at https://sportsday.dallasnews.com/co...iet-comes-staff-changes-isnt-exactly-surprise

Waccy Frog

Meh. It may not win a Pulitzer, but it’s woth pointing out that TCU is usually very quiet this time of here. Less drama, more work. Stability and loyalty are hallmarks of GP’s program. Some may not like it in every instance, but that’s how he’s gotten us here.

Froggish

GP isn’t making any drastic staff changes this year. Especially this time of year with us trying to close recruits. I’m praying we see a couple we’ll seasoned play callers come on as analysts to help Cumbie turn all his “ideas” into an actual scheme

Waccy Frog

There’s a price to be paid for turnover, as well as potential advantages. He tends to take care of things that need to be taken care of, but don’t underestimate the roll continuity and loyalty has played in GP’s success.

Fans always wants someone’s head when things don’t go as planned. The best coaches tune that out.

FrogCop19

I can understand GP's loyalty, and I think this has been a reason for his relative consistency over the span of his tenure. He knows who he has on staff, they've done an admirable job for him (for the most part), and he's loyal to a fault. Amazing, considering who he came here with and *his* track record...

However, as an educator, sometimes it's best to get a fresh perspective on things on a regular basis. I know teachers who have been in this field for 25+ years, and they are exactly who you would expect them to be. Stuck in their ways, "This is how we learned, so it's good enough for them!" type people. Some of the best co-workers I've had are the ones fresh out of college with enthusiasm, new ideas, and (most importantly) a desire to impress their administration. Look what bringing Cumbie and Meach did for us back in '14. I think our change took everyone by surprise, which allowed us to achieve some pretty incredible results that year.

I get the concept of CGP, and it's hard to argue with his track record, but I think bringing in some new blood might be the tipping point for us.

Big Frog II

I was not as hard up on the offensive staff as some of you because of our QB situation. Correct that and we win quite a few more games.

Limp Lizard

My primary problem, as I have stated many times here, is with recruiting, not coaching. 3 or 4 4*'s is just not enough for a team that finishes in the top ten so many times. We offer a bunch of 4-5* players every year, but only sign 3 or 4.

Also, I am much more concerned with Cumbie and Thomsen than Anderson and Sharp.

Moose Stuff

My primary problem, as I have stated many times here, is with recruiting, not coaching. 3 or 4 4*'s is just not enough for a team that finishes in the top ten so many times. We offer a bunch of 4-5* players every year, but only sign 3 or 4.

What about Thomson are you worried about exactly? We had a good and at times very good OL in 2017. Our rebuilt 2018 line was solid until Igwuagwu went down but after struggling through the middle of the schedule some adjustments were made and they played well the last few games. I’m not the least bit concerned personally. I bet they’re a very solid unit for us in 2019.

WR coaches need help. Hoping they go out of their way to get better at coaching the position this off-season. Go make friends with other program WR coaches and exchange notes.

I also want to see S&C coaches do the same, but with techniques to avert injuries but make big gains (P5 gains) - not sure if possible.

I don't think firings need to happen but improvements is absolutely needed.

Also adding an analyst to take Jake Brown's spot is needed. Experienced individual not a graduate would be my preference for TCU.

asleep003

You're not really serious …?&#?@%?

asleep003

WR coaches need help. Hoping they go out of their way to get better at coaching the position this off-season. Go make friends with other program WR coaches and exchange notes.
I don't think firings need to happen but improvements is absolutely needed..
You are way too kind, as though a relative or next door neighbor.
a) Don't have to fire, but hopefully a desk job for 1 of them/preferably Anderson.

b) All, except 1, WRs need solid development, meaning a professional must come in before CGP misses a CFP window of opportunity before retires in next 5-10 years.

c) Could send one of these WRs coach to a high end 1 week Special Teams Seminar, while replacing him with a new professional WRs coach/mentor.

d) We need a real gym rat type WRs coach. Presently our staff, basically, tell them what they are suppose to do, then evaluates who does it best, then puts them on the field. WR development certainly appears nonexistent.

Last edited:

Pharm Frog

What about Thomson are you worried about exactly? We had a good and at times very good OL in 2017. Our rebuilt 2018 line was solid until Igwuagwu went down but after struggling through the middle of the schedule some adjustments were made and they played well the last few games. I’m not the least bit concerned personally. I bet they’re a very solid unit for us in 2019.

Exactly my thoughts on the O-line

Pharm Frog

You are way too kind, as though a relative or next door neighbor.
a) Don't have to fire, but hopefully a desk job for 1 of them/preferably Anderson.

b) All, except 1, WRs need solid development, meaning a professional must come in
before CGP misses a CFP window of opportunity before retires in next 5-10 years.

c) Could send one of these WRs coach to a high end 1 week Special Teams Seminar. while
replacing him with a new professional WRs coach/mentor.

d) We need a real gym rat type WRs coach. Presently our staff, basically, tell them what they are suppose to do, then evaluates who does it best, then puts them on the field. WR development certainly appears nonexistent.

Special teams is an abomination with apparently zero accountability. It seems like we are content to just have great athletes in the return game and leave the rest to chance.

I’m mixed on the WR receiver situation. I guess a lot could be matters of coachable skills but my eyes tell me there’s not an insignificant amount of lackadaisical approaches to route running, blocking, hustle, and making the routine play. I think it’s somewhat understandable that there were lots of misreads between QB and WR given the rotisserie of QBs