• The KillerFrogs

DMN: TCU's offseason has been quiet when it comes to staff changes; why that's no surprise

LeagueCityFrog

My guess will be Rusty Burns and Dan Sharp moving on to the next opportunity after signing day. Anderson... no clue... maybe an administrator position.

Dan sharp is the best of those three. The DL has been good the last few years.
I'm not a big fan of having two coaches dedicated to the DL but the DE's may have been the most consistently good unit on the team the last three seasons so he deserves credit there. No one is specifically listed as the special teams coach but given that he did that for many years, he probably has some involvement with that. The coverage aspect of ST has been pretty good but everything else that wasn't a highlight play by Turpin, not so much.

asleep003

Special teams is an abomination with apparently zero accountability. It seems like we are content to just have great athletes in the return game and leave the rest to chance.

I’m mixed on the WR receiver situation. I guess a lot could be matters of coachable skills but my eyes tell me there’s not an insignificant amount of lackadaisical approaches to route running, blocking, hustle, and making the routine play. I think it’s somewhat understandable that there were lots of misreads between QB and WR given the rotisserie of QBs
Some are not comfortable with the performance of this reasonably large # of WRs. Why not experiment with a really top notch guy for our WRs and get this present person, that seems to have tenureship with CGP, some education where we appear not to be overly educated in, such as Special Teams. Or is ST Coordinator too important of a position for him... considering his 3 previous coaching assignments. How about ST analyst then.

Last edited:

TCUSA

Let's face it--the BCS snub cost us all the momentum we'd built to that point. We'll be a couple of more top 5 finishes recovering.

Froggish

How many DEs need to make 1st team All-Big 12 before we can say Sharp is doing a really good job and just might be a damn good coach?
Any DL coach at TCU will always be compared to Bump and he’s a tough act to follow. At this point he’s been gone long enough that we need to stop with that standard. Sharp has done a really good job with the kids up front. Is there room to grow? Sure but some of that is limited by talent..

Salfrog

Tier 1
To be honest, there really is no reason to have 2 coaches coaching the defensive line, and 2 coaches coaching the WR's. These seem to be made up coaching positions to find a place for these coaches that aren't cutting it on their own. We have, as probably 99% of all football teams, have 1 position coach per position. I understand you have GA that help out also, but that is another situation of it's own.

I'm sure Fitch could handle the line by himself, and we could find 1 very much better WR coach than the 2 that we have to coach WR's. Yet, we don't have a ST's coach which is completely ridiculous. Just my take on it.

Peacefrog

Degenerate
Some are not comfortable with the performance of this reasonably large # of WRs. Why not experiment with a really top notch guy for our WRs and get this present person, that seems to have tenureship with CGP, some education where we appear not to be overly educated in, such as Special Teams. Or is ST Coordinator too important of a position for him... considering his 3 previous coaching assignments. How about ST analyst then.
I don’t remember for sure but I’m confident we didn’t have a punt or kickoff return against us for a touchdown. The punt team was 7rh nationally in long returns and 1st in returns over 50 yards. Kicking was mediocre but that’s a talent issue. ST were fine.

Pharm Frog

I don’t remember for sure but I’m confident we didn’t have a punt or kickoff return against us for a touchdown. The punt team was 7rh nationally in long returns and 1st in returns over 50 yards. Kicking was mediocre but that’s a talent issue. ST were fine.

Not sure we punted far enough to create many returns.

LeagueCityFrog

How many DEs need to make 1st team All-Big 12 before we can say Sharp is doing a really good job and just might be a damn good coach?

He's a TCU alum, so in my book he has even more street cred. That being said, our special teams sucked and we miss Dick Bumpas. All that being said, if he returns I won't be as bent out of as shape compared to our receivers who continue to not develop. Rusty Burns did not make Josh Doctson. If Rusty has value in recruiting in Louisiana, then be like Bama and make a position for him there and get the best receivers coach available. Watch the film, we suuuuucked at that position and getting open in 2018. Wasted 2 seniors who were better as sophomores. See Alamo Bowl 1 for details. We lost 6 games last year including to KU, Tech, and almost lost to a bad Cal team. We spend around $40 million a year in football...not counting this $100 million for the east side expansion. OU, Ohio State, and Bama spend in that same neighborhood and wouldn't accept 6 losses as a return on investment. No way.

Last edited:

asleep003

Totally agree! We did have talent on the returns, it was called Turpin, then after him, it was called Reagor. The kickoff/punt coverage was decent for several games this year and usually is. The ST is pretty solid but rarely creative.

If the punting/kickers are off … we don't really have much knowledge to assist them out of a slump or increase their output(ie ST analyst). And these are some of the things that may change a 6-6 team into an 8-4 ball club.

Last edited:

Froggish

He's a TCU alum, so in my book he has even more street cred. That being said, our special teams sucked and we miss Dick Bumpas. All that being said, if he returns I won't be as bent out of as shape compared to our receivers who continue to not develop. Rusty Burns did not make Josh Doctson. If Rusty has value in recruiting in Louisiana, then be like Bama and make a position for him there and get the best receivers coach available. Watch the film, we suuuuucked at that position and getting open in 2018. Wasted 2 seniors who were better as sophomores. See Alamo Bowl 1 for details. We lost 6 games last year including to KU, Tech, and almost lost to a bad Cal team. We spend around $40 million a year in football...not counting this $100 million for the east side expansion. OU, Ohio State, and Bama spend in that same neighborhood and wouldn't accept 6 losses as a return on investment. No way.

I think Gary misses Bumpas more than anyone...Bumpas seemed to take a lot of game day pressure off of GP. They were really in sync on the sidelines

LeagueCityFrog

I think Gary misses Bumpas more than anyone...Bumpas seemed to take a lot of game day pressure off of GP. They were really in sync on the sidelines

It was fun watching Gary and Bumpas working together. I suggested in another thread that Gary should go to Kansas City in the off season and at a minimum talk with Andy Reid. Andy is magic. He knows how to bend a team to the skills that they got instead of forcing the players to bend to a scheme, maybe bring Cumbie with him. Maybe they could bounce ideas off each other. There are plenty of TCU alums from KC that could make that happen.

asleep003

Agree with your sentiments on Bumpas … however, we still finished top of the league on D, with minimal help from the Offense... quite a feat. So if Thomsen can do for the 2018 inexperienced OL in 2019 what he did with the 2017 OL... that will make the QBs life and Cumbie's much better. Therefore, CGP will have less pressure and a better out come for 2019.

Last edited: