• The KillerFrogs

Disappointed in Gary

Wexahu

I much prefer coordinators to force the defense to do what you want them to do instead of countering their moves. I get the feeling that this is what OU does to us routinely. Of course you have to counter some stuff they want to do but by and large prefer to dictate the pace and design of play from the offensive standpoint. One thing I think is very clear. If we're going to sit back and read and read and read pre-snap and not have the ability or permission to audible, this all becomes irrelevant.

I hear ya on that last point. I always wonder, with all the pre-snap reads that defenses make, why the offense doesn’t huddle up, break quickly into position, and then run plays on a relatively quick count before the defense has a chance to really call a set. That would frustrate the hell out of GP if offenses did it to us, I know that.

As it stands, the offense and defense kind of stand and look at each other for 10 seconds before the play getting instructions from the sideline. I don’t know who has the advantage. And if we aren’t going to audible anyway it makes no sense to let the defense settle in before the snap.

robbroyy

This is a Big 12 team in DFW with the 3rd largest resources in the league and proven track record of having offensive success and putting guys in the NFL and former OCs HC opportunities.

there is no shortage of people who would want this job.

but I think GP is more comfortable with a grizzlieD vet than an up and comer. That is a double edged sword as the new LSU passing game coordinator is showing. Young kid from the saints blowing it up.

Cumbie isn’t the best but he is scoring enough for the defense to be able to win the game. They just needed to hold SMU to 37 or less. That shouldn’t be too much to ask.

4th. down

This is a Big 12 team in DFW with the 3rd largest resources in the league and proven track record of having offensive success and putting guys in the NFL and former OCs HC opportunities.

but I think GP is more comfortable with a grizzlieD vet than an up and comer. That is a double edged sword as the new LSU passing game coordinator is showing. Young kid from the saints blowing it up.

Cumbie isn’t the best but he is scoring enough for the defense to be able to win the game. They just needed to hold SMU to 37 or less. That shouldn’t be too much to ask.

Yeah, but your making too much sense and none of our ideas will probably be implemented. Kinda depressing if you look at what we've done over the last 15 games - it ain't purty. 38 points beats SMU 99 out of a 100 times.

I've mentioned Joe Brady before at LSU. Since he has come on in the Spring from the Saints, LSU has gone crazy. Burrow already had 4 TD passes before the half as he laid 66 on Vandy.

tetonfrog

Like any o;' gunslinger, GP will have to make some adjustments to his staff/scheme. He is not Bum Phillips who will line up in the I formation and hand it to big Earl 25-30 times even if he knows his OL cannot block Mean Joe Green and Jack Lambert and company. Does anyone else remember the Ken "Snake" Stabler New Orleans' team? Jesus, that was a joke. I don't expect that here in FW.

My concern is GP's erratic timeline/focus/public analysis this year with the offensive strategy/play calling/QB. If we continue to struggle and he gets more and more frustrated, then what? Do we have an in-season plan to fix it? Making the OC talk to the media is not fixing the problem. It makes it worse and public.

Or, worst-case scenario, what if GP says the hell with this and retires. Do we have any confidence in SC as the next coach or another plan? We need our young AD Donati to calm the waters and then we need to beat the hell outta Kansas.

BABYFACE

I agree with you Wes, that GP threw Cumbie under the bus. However, I don’t think that will deter future candidates. GP demands a lot of his coaches and is hard to please, but he is loyal. He doesn’t discard assistants and make them scapegoats like a lot of HC’s at Big School U’s.

My guess for yesterday’s actions is that Cumbie decided to do his own thing and ignore some requests by GP, so GP decided, ok big guy you go talk to the media.

asleep003

All this stuff about getting Meach or someone new now, is nonsense. One loss and some of you guys throw out the OC with the bath water is ridiculous. You have a true Fr QB and OC can still put up 38 points. GP gave up 41. Just maybe GP misbehaved this weekend. I know he is bigger than this.

Lets cool down and see what happens this weekend. The Sky Is Not Falling... yet.

NewFrogFan

Yeah, but your making too much sense and none of our ideas will probably be implemented. Kinda depressing if you look at what we've done over the last 15 games - it ain't purty. 38 points beats SMU 99 out of a 100 times.

I've mentioned Joe Brady before at LSU. Since he has come on in the Spring from the Saints, LSU has gone crazy. Burrow already had 4 TD passes before the half as he laid 66 on Vandy.

I bet Joe Brady lasts 1 year at LSU and either gets a much better job there, or a coordinator some where else. Ensminger never wanted to be OC anyway. I hope the offense still works the same with different players, aka as Boykin/Doctson then what.........

NewFrogFan

All this stuff about getting Meach or someone new now, is nonsense. One loss and some of you guys throw out the OC with the bath water is ridiculous. You have a true Fr QB and OC can still put up 38 points. GP gave up 41. Just maybe GP misbehaved this weekend. I know he is bigger than this.

Lets cool down and see what happens this weekend. The Sky Is Not Falling... yet.

It is far more than this game. Can you say what the offensive theme of this team is? Cumbie said it himself, he never got the Qb in a rhythm and pretty much he is like that every game. His play calling is bad, not my words.

I'm getting the drift but it would not be a good move in my opinion because he is pure Air Raid and GP wants his defense to get some rest and Meach goes full tempo all the time, mostly a passing game. He didn't do very well at Kansas when he was in charge of the offense.

Reading the current tea leaves, Sonny is gone after the season and the offensive staff too except Thomsen. A new offensive co is going to want his own staff. Don't see how they would keep Luper too.

it's somewhat ironic but Dykes could have been offered the offensive co when he was here and at $800K plus, he may have taken it. We would be undefeated and challenge hard for 2nd. place in the Big 12 this year and might win it next year when Hurts is gone.

Shoulda, woulda, coulda.

The SMU job opened up, Dykes would of taken the SMU HC regardless being TCU's OC for one year if he had ever been hired.

Let's calm down and see how this team and coaches respond first.

But if things continue, Meach is not the answer. He isn't as good as Cumbie, he is the same. We saw further what he was at Kansas. The only thing he has over Cumbie if he coached against SMU is Dykes taught Cumbie most everything before he left for SMU and Meach would have his own air raid system. But Cumbie is one hell of a recruiter and if they do get rid of Cumbie someone like Texas Tech or SMU or OU is going to hire him. Of course though that is what happens when coaches are fired they might not go far.

I rather see Gary go out like Gundy did and find the best minds out there on O and D and hire them no matter if they are from Princeton or Deleware or Jackson or Wofford or a FBS P5/G5 team, etc.. Just go get some guys they can recruit, gameplan, have creative schemes. and make adjustments on the fly in games.

Cumbie needs help and so does Gary on the D. Something they can do right now...if things dont change in the next couple of games, is hire some analysts to help game plan on both sides of the ball. But let's see how this team responds first.

Last edited:

Paint It Purple

I’m sure his action towards Cumbie was born out of frustration by I think he took the low road which is disappointing to me

GP HAS BEEN DROPPING HINTS LIKE LANDMINES

GOING BACK TO LAST SEASON WHEN HE PUBLICLY STATED THAT HE TOLD Cumbie to play other qbs and he didn’t
Then releasing the comment about almost bringing Meacham back hen stating th the was going to get involved in the offense

none of us knows what elseCumbie has been told and failed to act on. It’s either ego or ignorance that kept him from reading there’s leaves and that drove GP TO the boiling point

but to stand up before the media and throw Cumbie to the wolves set a bad precedent

I agree with Gil lebreton that the media is barely allowed to even make eye contact with the coordinators. And I think that is wrong

it’s his program but there is an easy way to take the cone of silence off those guys and thT to bring them to the Tuesday press conference and let the media have them for 10 minutes. They can be schooled in what to say ant not to say
It’s clear to me that changes are coming and there could be 2-3 offensive coaches gone. Then again maybe not

It my fear is that GPS TTEK DOWN THE LOW ROADmay. Cause a few good candidates to think otherwise about coming here, I could see them asking themselves if this would happen to rhem the first time something doesn’t go as planned

No one on that stFfis above criticism and that includes GP

To whom much is given much is expected in return. I just expected better of the msn
I know you are WES and all, but with due respect, give it a rest. You have know idea what is going on between GP and SC behind the scenes. For all you know Sonny asked to go before the press. If Sonny is this thin skinned he's in the wrong profession. GP gives and expects much from players and his coaches. I bet Sonny expects more of himself. As the leader of the this forum, take your own advice and don't speculate about what you don't know

4th. down

The SMU job opened up, Dykes would of taken the SMU HC regardless being TCU's OC for one year if he had ever been hired.

Let's calm down and see how this team and coaches respond first.

But if things continue, Meach is not the answer. He isn't as good as Cumbie, he is the same. We saw further what he was at Kansas. The only thing he has over Cumbie if he coached against SMU is Dykes taught Cumbie most everything before he left for SMU and Meach would have his own air raid system. But Cumbie is one hell of a recruiter and if they do get rid of Cumbie someone like Texas Tech or SMU or OU is going to hire him. Of course though that is what happens when coaches are fired they might not go far.

I rather see Gary go out like Gundy did and find the best minds out there on O and D and hire them no matter if they are from Princeton or Deleware or Jackson or Wofford or a FBS P5/G5 team, etc.. Just go get some guys they can recruit, gameplan, have creative schemes. and make adjustments on the fly in games.

Cumbie needs help and so does Gary on the D. Something they can do right now...if things dont change in the next couple of games, is hire some analysts to help game plan on both sides of the ball. But let's see how this team responds first.

Good thoughts but we are now 15 games into this mess and nothing has changed. At best, we are a middling POWER 5 team. A few more blunders and we are below 500 ball in conf. We cannot wait tooooo long.

GP may go outside for offensive/receiver help but defense NO. HE thinks that he wrote the book on it so we can forget him becoming a true head coach and turning his defense over to a real DC.

Eight

I bet Meach would come back in a heartbeat. In a weird way, I feel like this is the way the wind is blowing right now.

why do people keep bringing up this option?

meacham is an air raid tempo guy. this is what he is and this is what he does.

no anyone else who is an air raid tempo guy? sonny cumbie

you have a head coach who doesn't want tempo and wants a run centric offense that will keep his defense off the field as much as put points on the board.

why would adding another air raid tempo guy give gary the offense he wants for his team?

Eight

so fuente got a hc job and then........burns? anderson? meacham? schultze?

what are the 3rd largest resources you speak of?

LawFrog504

It's amazing to me that GP's defense gets absolutely torched all afternoon, with no ability to stop SMU whatsoever, and he walks to the podium and acts like the offense was the only problem we saw. Not only that, I don't care if his defense didn't even allow a point, you are the captain of this ship making 5 million a year, you need to stand up and accept responsibility. His actions saturday were pathetic.

Never in my life have I seen an organization run like this. GP has lifelong immunity and makes multiple millions per year, but acts like he is only responsible for the defense. Whenever the offense is asked about, his response is "ask sonny" or in this case, just throwing Sonny to the wolves. He won't ever let a coordinator be interviewed when things are going good but he'll leave them on an island to avoid public blame. He asks like every question is beneath him.

You are responsible for everything that happens with this team. Gary acts like a glorified defensive coordinator and owes Sonny an apology.

Mean Purple

I sometimes wonder if he should release some control of the defense and be more of a traditional head coach. Overseeing both offense and defense but letting the coordinators run things and speak to the media. I don’t see how he can run defenses every week while handling head coach responsibilities. I think it’s too much pressure over the long haul and may have played a part in what went down yesterday.
very few head coaches these days actually release sizable amounts of control of their side of the ball.

LawFrog504

Also, good thing we anointed Ochaun Mathis as the next Khalil Mack all summer long before he ever did a thing. Guy was a terror on saturday. his 0 sacks through 3 games is really impressive.

Our pass rush was absolutely relentless saturday. We ended up with 1 sack on Buchele, with an impressive 0 coming from a defensive lineman. Gary needs to look in the mirror because his defense was just as responsible for the loss as the offense. God forbid anyone ever ask a tough question of him

Mean Purple

It's amazing to me that GP's defense gets absolutely torched all afternoon, with no ability to stop SMU whatsoever, and he walks to the podium and acts like the offense was the only problem we saw. Not only that, I don't care if his defense didn't even allow a point, you are the captain of this ship making 5 million a year, you need to stand up and accept responsibility. His actions saturday were pathetic.

Never in my life have I seen an organization run like this. GP has lifelong immunity and makes multiple millions per year, but acts like he is only responsible for the defense. Whenever the offense is asked about, his response is "ask sonny" or in this case, just throwing Sonny to the wolves. He won't ever let a coordinator be interviewed when things are going good but he'll leave them on an island to avoid public blame. He asks like every question is beneath him.

You are responsible for everything that happens with this team. Gary acts like a glorified defensive coordinator and owes Sonny an apology.
Sorry, but you can't ignore the turnovers and drives that that left out on offense. momentum is a key part in college football. Yeah, team loss, but the offense puts you in a bad situation with a start like that against an offensive team.