• The KillerFrogs

Cold as H#LL

LisaLT

I would trade with anyone that has snow right now. I love snow and I have missed it in DFW the past couple of years. We have had cold snaps, but no precipitation during those colder days. What's the point of cold weather, without snow?
Get thee to Tahoe. Sooo much fresh powder...

Hoosierfrog

Tier 1
how often did you have that issue? Ive lived here quite some time (20+ years) and have only experienced one large quake big enough to do damage - the northridge shaker. anything under a 5 on the richter scale doesn't even wake me up

China cabinet only once. What I was trying to say was that wherever you live there will be something. We had earthquakes, Santa Ana winds and heat, fires, high prices and crazy people when I lived in Arcadia, Ventura and San Clemente. In Houston we had every bug and poisonous snake

in N.A., hurricanes and heat and humidity like Bombay. In Hoosierville we have hillbillies, snow and cold, tornadoes. None of which happen all the time and as with most places I’ve lived, it’s usually what you make of it and things are pretty good...

LisaLT

China cabinet only once. What I was trying to say was that wherever you live there will be something. We had earthquakes, Santa Ana winds and heat, fires, high prices and crazy people when I lived in Arcadia, Ventura and San Clemente. In Houston we had every bug and poisonous snake

in N.A., hurricanes and heat and humidity like Bombay. In Hoosierville we have hillbillies, snow and cold, tornadoes. None of which happen all the time and as with most places I’ve lived, it’s usually what you make of it and things are pretty good...
Well that is true. There is always something somewhere that has to be contended with. Some more extreme than others, but nonetheless, no place is without mother nature's wrath.

sandiegojack

I think that I will stay in San Diego, despite the real estate cost here and crazy left wingers running our state government. Our house is 1,448 and is probably worth over $600,000 now. I am wearing shorts today.

sdj

Mean Purple

My nephew attended Univ. of Alaska and lived in Fairbanks for several decades after that. In the mid '90's there were some Jan. / Feb. days it dropped into -70º's. He said the main thing was protecting the eyes with goggles & when walking in town, to stop inside a store every couple of blocks. And that was not the wind chill, that was the temperature!
Family has property in far north. just a hop, and not even a skip and jump, from Canada. One thing always pushed is to keep the face covered. Peace mentioned the frost bite. There is also the need to keep you mouth covered when you hit the temps that far below zero.
I can't imagine how insane 70 below would be. Seen more than 40 below and it was just flat out dangerous.

Someone asked when does cold stop feeling colder, I would agree that some up there have more that reached that point. After that, it is just how the body responds.

I think they have had over 10 people die in the past two days up there. Some poor guy was found frozen to death in his garage.

When it gets over 105 here, it is miserable times 10. I was in 114 this past summer in central Texas. Horrible, but I don't think it could ever compare to the extremes of 30 below zero or lower. At that point, you are in a home, heater going, and it still feels cooler than you want.

Wexahu

Family has property in far north. just a hop, and not even a skip and jump, from Canada. One thing always pushed is to keep the face covered. Peace mentioned the frost bite. There is also the need to keep you mouth covered when you hit the temps that far below zero.
I can't imagine how insane 70 below would be. Seen more than 40 below and it was just flat out dangerous.

Someone asked when does cold stop feeling colder, I would agree that some up there have more that reached that point. After that, it is just how the body responds.

I think they have had over 10 people die in the past two days up there. Some poor guy was found frozen to death in his garage.

When it gets over 105 here, it is miserable times 10. I was in 114 this past summer in central Texas. Horrible, but I don't think it could ever compare to the extremes of 30 below zero or lower. At that point, you are in a home, heater going, and it still feels cooler than you want.

I wonder how long you’d have at -30 if the heater failed. I bet the house would go from 60 to 30 in a matter of hours. And then keep going down from there.

BABYFACE

I need some serious bed shakin' to wake me up ;)

giphy.gif

It’s a balmy 5 F here in the DC area. Not quite Minnesota, but it’s cold to us. Schools have delayed opening for 2 hours. It’ll be a nice and toasty 10 F by then.