• The KillerFrogs

Cold as H#LL

Hoosierfrog

Tier 1
Heard something last night I thought only happened in Siberia. Loud snapping I thought were trees breaking, but was apparently frost quakes according to the news. Very eery sound. They said it only happens when it drops below zero for more than 36 hours.

Purp

Heard something last night I thought only happened in Siberia. Loud snapping I thought were trees breaking, but was apparently frost quakes according to the news. Very eery sound. They said it only happens when it drops below zero for more than 36 hours.
What the darn is a frost quake?

According to Google...

Frost quakes, or "cryoseisms," occur when water trapped underground freezes suddenly as the temperature drops, causing it to expand. (Water expands as it freezes.) All that rapidly expanding water underground can split rocks and put stress on the soil, causing loud booms. Frost quakes are fairly rare events and difficult to positively identify.

tcudoc

According to Google...

Frost quakes, or "cryoseisms," occur when water trapped underground freezes suddenly as the temperature drops, causing it to expand. (Water expands as it freezes.) All that rapidly expanding water underground can split rocks and put stress on the soil, causing loud booms. Frost quakes are fairly rare events and difficult to positively identify.
My wife proved this by putting a can of Dr. Pepper in the freezer and forgetting about it...day three, and she's still pretending it didn't happen.

Raw Frog

I am wondering how this polar vortex is going to affect people. No way can the supply trucks be restocking the grocery shelves. Most folks do not have extra food on hand to hunker in for any amount of time. Have not seen any stories on lack of food or water but it is only a matter of time I would guess.
Pray for those affected...

tcudoc

I am wondering how this polar vortex is going to affect people. No way can the supply trucks be restocking the grocery shelves. Most folks do not have extra food on hand to hunker in for any amount of time. Have not seen any stories on lack of food or water but it is only a matter of time I would guess.
I know that many affected have entered the transfer portal and seem to be safe there.

Purp

It's going to start warming up today and it sounds like tomorrow will return to semi-normal for several days. I think they'll get resupplied.

Hoosierfrog

Tier 1
Yeah, this is a short term deal. It is supposed to be in the 50s this weekend. On the other hand, all these hearty Yankees will pick a grocery store clean when snow is predicted...

Hoosierfrog

Tier 1

According to Google...

Makes all kind of sense then. We had a lot of rain prior to the cold snap.

Possible good news, the last time we had a polar vortex we should have gone to the final 4 in football,. Although that one happened in November...

froginmn

Yeah that's not a problem. Business is mostly as usual but they pull outdoor workers inside.

froginmn

My wife proved this by putting a can of Dr. Pepper in the freezer and forgetting about it...day three, and she's still pretending it didn't happen.
You had to say Dr. Pepper...

A few years back when I was a first time home owner, I made the mistake of leaving a case of DP in the garage after temps had hit freezing. I heard what sounded like a shotgun go off in the garage, and quickly realized it was a can exploding.

I pulled the case inside and into the basement (most northern homes have them), and nearly cried as it was too late - most of the rest of the cans exploded one by one.

froginmn

Here's a story for you. This week one of my employees in central Minnesota emailed to let me know he would be staying home because his furnace stopped working.

It was propane fueled and apparently the temperature went below -44 degrees, the boiling point of propane. Below that temp it won't form a gas and thus won't burn.

Purp

Here's a story for you. This week one of my employees in central Minnesota emailed to let me know he would be staying home because his furnace stopped working.

It was propane fueled and apparently the temperature went below -44 degrees, the boiling point of propane. Below that temp it won't form a gas and thus won't burn.
Just crazy.

My family lives in Minneapolis. It’s -24 and -50 with the wind chill right now. They tell me I’m crazy for living in Fort Worth because it “gets so hot.” I’m taking 105 over -50 without hesitation.
Let me guess: You went to high school in Edina.

Uh, didn't you tell him if he came to work it was WARM at the office. Hmmm, let's see the choices: stay at home where it is cold; go to work like you are supposed to and it is warm. Fail to see your employee's logic.

Land Frog

Darn baylor!
Uh, didn't you tell him if he came to work it was WARM at the office. Hmmm, let's see the choices: stay at home where it is cold; go to work like you are supposed to and it is warm. Fail to see your employee's logic.[/QUOTE]
He may have a family. May have a pet. May have a fireplace so he keep keep the house warm so pipes dont burst.

Your last sentence does not surprise me from 2314.