• The KillerFrogs

Cold as H#LL

Limp Lizard

Can't believe when I was in my early 30's I lived and survived in northern Indiana and in Connecticut for 5 winters. I have shoveled show in -20 with a -40 wind chill. The moisture in my breath froze on my mustache and made little icicles. I didn't like it, but I was OK. Couldn't do it now, I think. But what bothered me was not the cold (to me, +20 or -20 it was cold, I just dressed appropriately) of winter, but the cold of March, April, and early May. I would watch The Masters' on TV and look outside at bare trees, cloudy and in the 40's and I would be miserable.

But the summers were great for a golfer like myself. Never too hot in the prime golfing season of late May to late September. Now at 71, there are too many days just too hot for me in the summer here in Fort Worth. Plus under 50 I hate it. So there is a really short golf season for me.:( Spring and Fall are way too short (I don't care when Spring or Fall hit, just that they hit on a weekend).

And I can't afford to move to Hawaii:(

froginmn

Can't believe when I was in my early 30's I lived and survived in northern Indiana and in Connecticut for 5 winters. I have shoveled show in -20 with a -40 wind chill. The moisture in my breath froze on my mustache and made little icicles. I didn't like it, but I was OK. Couldn't do it now, I think. But what bothered me was not the cold (to me, +20 or -20 it was cold, I just dressed appropriately) of winter, but the cold of March, April, and early May. I would watch The Masters' on TV and look outside at bare trees, cloudy and in the 40's and I would be miserable.

But the summers were great for a golfer like myself. Never too hot in the prime golfing season of late May to late September. Now at 71, there are too many days just too hot for me in the summer here in Fort Worth. Plus under 50 I hate it. So there is a really short golf season for me.:( Spring and Fall are way too short (I don't care when Spring or Fall hit, just that they hit on a weekend).

And I can't afford to move to Hawaii:(
Easy peasy, Limp!

Just get a vacation home in the Brainerd lakes area in Minnesota and go there in May!

nwlafrog

I experienced -30°ish windchill in Odessa back in 2014, I believe. I had never been that cold in my life and I didn’t know that 3’ of snow in the desert could happen. I don’t even want to imagine -60°.

netty2424

I’ve experienced -30 with -60 windchill. It’s crazy. There’s a city in Russia of about 100k people that averages a HIGH temp of about -30 in January and a low of -55. No freaking clue how they survive the winter. It’s a completely paralyzing kind of cold.
I knew you were a communist. Knew it.

Kidding.

Yah I’m out on that place. Give me warmer weather over that any day.

XIIFrog

Cold weather? You're talking about cold weather?

My great-grandfather on my momma's side, William Wilson Spencer, was a sure-enough old time cowboy who rode in some of the cattle drives from Texas and Oklahoma up north to the Dakotas and Montana. Usually he had the good sense to make it back home to Texas before winter, but one year--I think it was in the latter 1880's--a rancher offered him cash money and found to stay the winter and help look after the stock at the home ranch. He accepted and settled in.

Things went well enough through the Autumn, and he figured he'd take it easy during the long winter and come Spring he'd collect his wages and head on back to Texas with enough of a stake to maybe get his own little spread. But the winter turned brutally cold and soon he was miserable and cussing himself for agreeing to stay in Montana. But travel back to Texas was impossible until the Spring thaw, so he determined to make the best of an icy situation. He had a warm bed, decent food, a string of four horses, and a cow dog he called Ol' Shep. Yeah, life could have been worse.

But the winter did grow worse, one of the worst in local memory. Streams froze solid, ice formed in the treetops and limbs came crashing down, wildlife and cattle starved and froze to death because they couldn't break through the crust of frozen snow to get to the dried grass below. But ol' Will Spencer persevered. He did his job, breaking up ice with an axe so the cattle could get to water, hauling hay to the herds scattered far from the home ranch, and spending the long winter nights in the company of two other cowhands, the cook, and Ol' Shep.

At long last each dawn was a few moments earlier than the previous. The ice covering streams and ponds seemed just a bit thinner than what Will broke up the morning before. Then one day there were actually a few fitful trickles of water dripping off the roof above the kitchen. Winter was gradually, reluctantly, losing its grip.

It was about that time a truly strange and remarkable incident happened, one my great-grandfather Will always swore was true. While tossing some hay to his horses in the stable he heard the excited barking of a dog...it sounded like Ol' Shep's bark, but the cowdog was right there with him and was silent. Will stepped outside to look for the source of the barking but it seemed to come from every direction. Ol' Shep trotted out beside him...looked all about...whined...and ran back inside the stable. Will was puzzled, unable to determine where the barking came from, and at the same time almost dead certain it was his own dog's bark. At last the barking faded away and Will went back to work.

The phenomenon re-occurred some three or four times over the next few weeks, always during the day, as the Sun pushed back the frozen remnants of a brutal Winter. Finally there was no more mysterious barking.

Old Will pondered and wondered about these strange goings-on, until finally he figured out what had happened. You see, that Winter was the coldest, the cruelest, the bitterest in Montana history. The land froze hard. The icy air seared the lungs if you were foolish enough to breathe it with your face uncovered and unprotected. And that was the cause of the barking. During the dead of that Winter, it was so cold that whenever Ol' Shep would bark, his barks just naturally froze, and you had to wait 'til they thawed to hear them.

I thought the beginning of Red Dead Redemption 2 was pretty cool, too.

Last edited:

helcap

I’ve experienced -30 with -60 windchill. It’s crazy. There’s a city in Russia of about 100k people that averages a HIGH temp of about -30 in January and a low of -55. No freaking clue how they survive the winter. It’s a completely paralyzing kind of cold.
Vodka

Hoosierfrog

Tier 1
I'll take the deal. It's -27 right now in Minneapolis.

I'm getting ready to leave for work and not ready to step outside... This will be the coldest temps in my kids lives (son is about to turn 20).

Grew up in Houston and married a Cajun that never lived north of I 10. She wanted to live somewhere with 4 seasons. Still not sure whe couldn’t have done better than Indiana (still not Waco or Lubbock). -12 right now with 30 mph winds. But as my wife says, you can’t take off enough clothes to stay cool if the AC gores out, you can light a fire and put on clothes if the heat goes out. So I’ll take a cold snap over heat and humidity. -12 now and supposed to be near 60 Sunday!

HToady

At least at 105 degrees you can still go out at night or early in the morning to do your chores. At -40 you can't go out anytime. Not even sure how you stay warm in your house. Not sure how cars and other equipment work...

MCFROG III

Napoleon's & Hitler's armies learned what the Russian winter was like!

Realtorfrog

Easy peasy, Limp!

Just get a vacation home in the Brainerd lakes area in Minnesota and go there in May!
My sister lived in Brainerd a couple of years. Told me they had to plug their cars in at night to keep the engine warm...... told her I would never visit and I didn’t. She’s back in TX now

LisaLT

THIS is why I live in SoCal.

I’ve been to Chicago in January and experienced the minus 20 with the wind chill type weather and no way no how could live in that. Be safe everyone. Frostbite is no joke.

Checking in from the Twin Cities....remote start on the truck was a real winner this morning. We only had a small amount of ice on the inside of our house windows this morning, so not too cold.

In reality having lived in Minneapolis, Milwaukee, Houston, and Arizona I think I've earned the right to move somewhere temperate. San Diego is sounding pretty nice.

BABYFACE

Best annual weather I experienced was the few years I lived on the beachfront in Hollywood Florida(13 miles north of South Beach on Ocean Dr). Shorts most days of the year. Only a handful of cold days. The heat was at it’s hottest in August and that ranged between 90-94. While very balmy, the cool ocean breezes counterbalanced the heat.

However, I never wanted to live inland in Florida. Too damn hot and humid and no ocean breeze.

Fortress Frog

My sister lived in Brainerd a couple of years. Told me they had to plug their cars in at night to keep the engine warm...... told her I would never visit and I didn’t. She’s back in TX now

Maybe the best thing to do would be to take care of that right here....... in Brainerd
upload_2019-1-30_11-4-20.jpeg