• The KillerFrogs

Coach Fran and the Red Tie - Reflections

Froglaw

Over stating the obvious, but don't you think Coach Fran wishes he owned a time machine?

Preaching to the choir here, but anybody else want to go back in time and get Fran back?

My how things have changed at TCU!

btw, anyone else notice that ut stole TCU "Learning to Change the World" slogan?

Fran at a minor D-1 school. Lynch mob mentality in Austin.

The last 12 years have been good to those of us who suffered through Dry, Wacker's leaving, Sullivan's boring offense, and Fran's leaving for greener pastures time and again.

Go Frogs!!!!! Beat the Sooners!!!!

NubomTurk

Tier 1
Yep.

Just as the Frogs started showing some promise, they lost Coach Fran, hired some guy who had never had a head coaching job in his life, and everyone settled in for a return to mediocrity.

There's something cosmic about moments when things look darkest turning out to be profound positives.

Yeah, I used the word "cosmic." So sue me.

sous vide

I can forgive/rationalize almost everything Fran has ever done except for the red tie. That was a completely unnecessary, totally gratuitous, and most personal slap in the face to one of the greatest Frogs ever and, to be blunt, to his own personal meal ticket. Lowest possible class move.

joejordan

Remember when 'Manic Patterson' was on the sidelines that first year? Dude wanted to win and be successful so bad...it was palpable. I look back at that. At the time I was thinking he's in over his head, and losing it. Now, I know it's a learning process for the great ones. Some continue to develop, others remain at that manic place.

So proud of GP. Couldn't care less about Fran.

BABYFACE

Fran leaving and GP being promoted ended up being one of the greatest moves in TCU athletic history. I am glad Hymen decided to go with the players sentiments that preferrred GP as the next HC.

Tucson Frog

When GP was being considered I was scared to death that TCU would not hire him. I kept screaming, "Who else do you know who is *1 (defense. How has it worked out?) who is being considered for the job"? and all the braineacs who could be running our government kept very quietly and comely reminding us "know nothings" that they knew what was best. How could anyone even consider that he would be less than the best?

There is another coach, Basketball we should have hired who will win a NC in the very near future but I won't go into that for fear of upsetting the cooler heads on the board. :biggrin:

In my business I always hired #1 if I could.

Army Frog Fan

Over stating the obvious, but don't you think Coach Fran wishes he owned a time machine?

Preaching to the choir here, but anybody else want to go back in time and get Fran back?

btw, anyone else notice that ut stole TCU "Learning to Change the World" slogan?

The last 12 years have been good to those of us who suffered through Dry, Wacker's leaving, Sullivan's boring offense, and Fran's leaving for greener pastures time and again.

Boring? Nothing boring about calling a sprint draw to Koi Woods on 3rd and 15. Gain a solid 4 yards and punt. What's not to like?

D-Fens Foster

It wasn't so much that he wore a crimson tie that bothered me, it was that he spent just about every second he was on the air talking about himself and Alabama. That day should've been about TCU and especially LaDainian.

peacock

red tie?? could you enlighten some of us?

the story basically goes like this Fran takes the Alabama job... at the time of his leaving it was announced he would be coaching in the bowl game in Mobile....then the following week Fran travels to meet LT at the Heisman trophy ceremony......He shows up at the Downtown Athletic Club wearing a gray suit with a Crimson tie, (fran's excuse was he was recruiting that day) when LT and Fran sat down with Corso for the interview segment....Corso basically ignored LT and just talked Bama...he ended the interview by saying "I know what Coach Fran is thinking "Roll Tide".....all Frog fans were pissed and so were the players....the story goes the players went to Hyman and said they didnt want Fran coaching them in the bowl game.....Hyman tells Fran and Fran the "great" guy that he is...says fine then you cant have my assistants either....so all the coaches that were going with him to Bama left the Fort....leaving LHCGP and Schultz as the only coaches left on campus....So basically for the 2 weeks of practice on campus, we only had 2 coaches ......Fran's assistants did rejoin the team when they got to Mobile....but by that time the team was in chaos and we lost to a vastly inferior Southern Miss team.....and of course during the game Fran shows up on the sidelines.....once again deflecting attention from his "former" squad......so hopefully this might explain why most of the people here on this board have a genuine dislike for Fran....not for taking the Bama job, we all understood he had to take the job....it was his actions after the hire that left a bad taste in our mouths.......

tcumaniac

the story basically goes like this Fran takes the Alabama job... at the time of his leaving it was announced he would be coaching in the bowl game in Mobile....then the following week Fran travels to meet LT at the Heisman trophy ceremony......He shows up at the Downtown Athletic Club wearing a gray suit with a Crimson tie, (fran's excuse was he was recruiting that day) when LT and Fran sat down with Corso for the interview segment....Corso basically ignored LT and just talked Bama...he ended the interview by saying "I know what Coach Fran is thinking "Roll Tide".....all Frog fans were pissed and so were the players....the story goes the players went to Hyman and said they didnt want Fran coaching them in the bowl game.....Hyman tells Fran and Fran the "great" guy that he is...says fine then you cant have my assistants either....so all the coaches that were going with him to Bama left the Fort....leaving LHCGP and Schultz as the only coaches left on campus....So basically for the 2 weeks of practice on campus, we only had 2 coaches ......Fran's assistants did rejoin the team when they got to Mobile....but by that time the team was in chaos and we lost to a vastly inferior Southern Miss team.....and of course during the game Fran shows up on the sidelines.....once again deflecting attention from his "former" squad......so hopefully this might explain why most of the people here on this board have a genuine dislike for Fran....not for taking the Bama job, we all understood he had to take the job....it was his actions after the hire that left a bad taste in our mouths.......

wow... I was unaware of all of this... guess I was too young and naive to know what was going on...

But geeez... what a piece of [Craig James]... I use to dislike Fran... not i officially hate him

West Coast Johnny

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KSrXpFb7jFo

watchfrog

wow... I was unaware of all of this... guess I was too young and naive to know what was going on...

But geeez... what a piece of [Craig James]... I use to dislike Fran... not i officially hate him

Thanks for making me feel old. During the SMU game this year, we were talking about how it seemed like it was just the other day when we were chanting "Stay Fran Stay" after his last game at Gerald Ford Stadium. You think you hate him, imagine how we felt. Good thing it all worked out in the end.