• The KillerFrogs

CATCH THE GALL DARN BALL!!!!!!!

jake102

I mention this in another thread but Reagor just doesn't seem like he's putting forth the same effort that he did last year. He just seems like he's somewhere else mentally. Is that just me?

Considering you could leave half our WRs uncovered and they’d likely still drop the ball, I think Reagor is receiving quite a bit of attention. Also, twice he was very open on a deep route only for our QBs to blow it. Convert those two and he has 100 yards and two TDs

Jarrett Anderson, inside receivers coach and Malcolm Kelly, outside receivers coach have a formidable task

confronting them in turning this group of stone handed players into competent receivers.

froggolf65

Hope we can see more of A. Davis. He had a good game last year early and we didn’t see him the rest of the year. Seems a lot more reliable than 11 and 12 in the slot.

HG73

“Dropsy” is the old medical term for edema, typically caused by heart, liver, or kidney failure. In the Bible, Jesus cures a person with dropsy. It was one of his miracles.
My interpretation:
Our receivers have dropsy and it is gonna take a miracle to fix it...or maybe some lasix.
So, we gotta call Jesus to fix dis? Get him on the phone. Or do we have to go through a middle man, like Jim Baker? We a parochial school, shouldn't we have some kind of advantage here? "Hello, Jesus? Dean So and So here at Brite Divinity. Got a minute?"
Hope I don't get hit by lightning.

TCUWIN

Considering you could leave half our WRs uncovered and they’d likely still drop the ball, I think Reagor is receiving quite a bit of attention. Also, twice he was very open on a deep route only for our QBs to blow it. Convert those two and he has 100 yards and two TDs
Defenses have so much focus on him because there is no other threat in the receiving game. The touchdown to Davis was because the whole secondary shifted to cover Reagor. I don’t think it’s a lack of effort...just a lack of creating ways to develop routes to free him.

Zubaz

Some highlights of our Passing game last night.
tenor.gif

dae6ab202e0046f38c64830982f255ba561ebdad.gif

Dogfrog

Didn’t GP insist on playing the WR’s that can block on the edge? Maybe those guys can’t catch. Also looks like Duggan is focused on not throwing interceptions which could lead to overthrown balls and fastballs. If so, this should be fixed when he is named the starter and gains confidence.

SwissArmyFrog

I’m surprised Max has no touch on passes that require it.

Remember one deep throw - we were going L to R on the screen - Duggan threw it on a line, and I really wondered why he didn't put air under it. Think it was 3rd Q.

Don't ever recall a pass that deep that had so little arc.

Eight

Remember one deep throw - we were going L to R on the screen - Duggan threw it on a line, and I really wondered why he didn't put air under it. Think it was 3rd Q.

Don't ever recall a pass that deep that had so little arc.

i think the ball your are talking about was a throw to reagor down the close sideline (if you were watching on television) where jalen has just started to separate and max just cut the ball loose down the field.

reminded me of a similar miss to derius davis late in the apb game where if max uses some touch the frogs have a chance for a score.

SwissArmyFrog

Yes, close sideline. As you said, he was quite open, too

i think the ball your are talking about was a throw to reagor down the close sideline (if you were watching on television) where jalen has just started to separate and max just cut the ball loose down the field.

reminded me of a similar miss to derius davis late in the apb game where if max uses some touch the frogs have a chance for a score.

Wexahu

The QBs and WRs aren't doing a whole lot to help each other out, that's for sure. Most of the throws are at least just a bit inaccurate and if Max is going to fire it in there with some heat on it, it's gonna have to be right on the money or it will easily be tipped or dropped. Having said that, it wouldn't hurt anything if a WR stepped up and made a tough catch once it awhile. Really disappointed in the development of a couple of young WRs that I thought had something but I'm not sure good hands is something that can be easily taught, catching a ball either comes easily to you or it doesn't.

ThisIsOurTime

Duggan throws such a fast, hard ball it is tempting to think that the receivers just need some time to get used to it.

But Duggan's been there plenty long enough for that, so that's out as an excuse. I know some of the drops were really tough catches, but enough weren't so tough, and it was somewhat frustrating.

He is going to have to learn when to soften his throws to make more catchable passes. Sometimes it is better to put more air under the ball and let the receiver go get it rather than showing the arm. Currently, when he scrambles he has a tendency to fire the ball rather than take something off it and trust that our athletic receivers can go get the ball.

The game is too fast for him right now and he is pressing at times. With more experience, he will learn to relax and allow his body to make the right throws. The good news is that he is seeing the right receiver but he can't always execute the throw under pressure. If they keep bringing him along slowly, he will get better just like Dalton did.

I really think they should throw to the TE more because of how Duggan throws the ball. Wells is a good pass catching TE that should be used more often. He should be getting 4 or 5 touches a game.

Limp Lizard

Actually you see good passing teams that the QB throws darts that are caught. In fact, the first two Purdue games, Sindelar threw fast balls on a line that were caught. Then we had few Purdue drops with a QB who threw a much softer ball last night. Hopefully it is just a matter of getting used to Duggan. Seems like the receivers were dropping passes from Delton, too.

I can't believe we just happened to recruit a bunch of receivers who can't catch. As for the receiver coach? We had the same receiver coach 14-18, with widely varying results year-to-year. Lots of criticism in bad years, crickets in the good years. Lots of "finally we have a receivers coach who actually played the position"...no good results... yet.

It has to be the receivers getting used to the different balls thrown by the two QBs. Now it looks like they will have many more reps from Duggan, and that will make the difference. Plus it behooves Cumbie to coach Duggan where to throw the ball to give the receivers their best chance.

These were sought-after, talented receivers. I can't believe they suddenly can't catch the ball. Hopefully with time Duggan and them will get in sync. Don't see how they could be any worse than last night.

Froggish

It’s my opinion, and I’m sure it sux, but the WR problem is at least somewhat the result of a freaking 7 man QB race. Building some rapport is still important. Especially in the timing routes.

Upon rewatch, Duggan looked a little bit flustered. He wasn’t so much bad as he was uneven. Which is expected from a Freshman. He threw some very catchable balls and some flat awful ones as well. We keep talking about his laser arm and lack of touch but I’m more concerned with him sailing balls.

Duggan is going to get better every week. He’s also going to throw a lot of balls that we wish he wouldn’t. Right now, he’s making quality reads and not putting us in risky situations. If SR would have done that last year we’d have won 9-10 and we wouldn’t even be talking about Duggan