• The KillerFrogs

Big East do not let ESPN stick it to you, Big 10 didn't.

Endless Purple

10 of Kansas' last 11 coaches have losing records. I think their problems are a little more serious than a bad coach or bad recruiting. They need to look at their entire program and see where the problem lies.

I have always looked at Kansas as a homecoming filler type team that occasionally has some good years.

jonatbaylor

10 of Kansas' last 11 coaches have losing records. I think their problems are a little more serious than a bad coach or bad recruiting. They need to look at their entire program and see where the problem lies.

I have always looked at Kansas as a homecoming filler type team that occasionally has some good years.
Oh yeah I agree, their problems are much deeper than just bad hires.

Kansas was a laughing stock for about 70 years of college football...I mean really, 70 years.They were the equivalent of a midwest version of USC (South Carolina).

I would not be surprised to see Kansas, KSU and Iowa State be buried at the bottom of the new B12 now that they have to play that round robin schedule every year. They can't hide in the north anymore.

KingmanIII

BYU - like adding UT with less draw but all the arrogance. Not to mention if BYU is such a great national draw, why can't they sell out the games at TCU? Being Thursday is not a good excuse for a huge national draw like BYU.
Who could sell out games at ACS before 2009 with the exception of Tecksus Teck?

Didn't help that BYU came into that game 2-4, either.

They would vastly expand the Big East's geographical footprint and, as members of an AQ league, could pull more than their fair share of TV sets in the Rocky Mountain region away from the Pac-12.

In that same vein, if we're discussing BYU -- then why not Boise State as well? Idaho herself won't add very much to the conference's viewership numbers, but BSU is becoming a national brand in very short order and the annexation of BYU and BSU into the fold would look no less appealing than that of Utah and Colorado.

Of course, such an addition would almost undoubtedly require a new conference name.

East Carolina - many people argue about markets and ECU is what third or fourth in their own state. Does the state even have as many people as the Houston area?
NC ranks 10th in population at 9,535,483 and is the fastest-growing state west of the Mississippi River (6th overall).

KingmanIII

Kansas was a laughing stock for about 70 years of college football...I mean really, 70 years.They were the equivalent of a midwest version of USC (South Carolina).
or the Midwest version of Kentucky if we're talking basketball schools

I would not be surprised to see Kansas, KSU and Iowa State be buried at the bottom of the new B12 now that they have to play that round robin schedule every year. They can't hide in the north anymore.
I dunno about KSU, they OWN Texas -- they've won 5 of the last 7, scoring 35 points or more in all 5 wins and winning by 18 points or more in 4 of those 5.

They also destroyed that '03 OU team in the B12 CCG, who were being hyped up as one of the greatest teams of all time before the game.

Endless Purple

Who could sell out games at ACS before 2009 with the exception of Tecksus Teck?

Didn't help that BYU came into that game 2-4, either.

They would vastly expand the Big East's geographical footprint and, as members of an AQ league, could pull more than their fair share of TV sets in the Rocky Mountain region away from the Pac-12.
According to most BYU fans and their supporters they would "easily" bring over 10,000 to any game. - I never saw that many at ACS.

Also good point they could pull in some TV sets, but how many people are going to watch the games that kickoff at 10pm their time?

In that same vein, if we're discussing BYU -- then why not Boise State as well? Idaho herself won't add very much to the conference's viewership numbers, but BSU is becoming a national brand in very short order and the annexation of BYU and BSU into the fold would look no less appealing than that of Utah and Colorado.

Of course, such an addition would almost undoubtedly require a new conference name.
You would have to ask cdsfrog. It was his list of teams better than UH.

NC ranks 10th in population at 9,535,483 and is the fastest-growing state west of the Mississippi River (6th overall).
Gee I thought they were east of the mississippi.

Few more people than Houston area. Both teams are down the pecking order. Question then becomes, how many different TV markets are in that state to have to negotiate with as opposed to one broadcast market. and what happens if you do not get all the markets in the state to broadcast... which is likely to happen. You are likely to get the market ECU is in, not all of them.

Endless Purple

I dunno about KSU, they OWN Texas -- they've won 5 of the last 7, scoring 35 points or more in all 5 wins and winning by 18 points or more in 4 of those 5.

They also destroyed that '03 OU team in the B12 CCG, who were being hyped up as one of the greatest teams of all time before the game.
Outside of Snyder, KSU is one of the worst football programs. When he leaves again, they have nothing. Kansas has a better football winning percentage all time by far than KSU.

KingmanIII

Also good point they could pull in some TV sets, but how many people are going to watch the games that kickoff at 10pm their time?
With or without Pam Ward commenting? :wink:

Gee I thought they were east of the mississippi.
I know, brain fart. :wacko:

Both teams are down the pecking order.
ECU is not nearly as far down the pecking order in NC as UH is in Houston/TX, at least when it comes to fan support and attendance; unlike UH there's an actual campus culture and lack of competition from professional sports franchises.

It's difficult to speculate on market share because we don't know just how adversely ECU playing in a non-AQ affects their TV numbers. TCU has had to fight tooth-and-nail for years themselves just to win over as much of DFW from OU/UT as they have.

KingmanIII

Outside of Snyder, KSU is one of the worst football programs. When he leaves again, they have nothing. Kansas has a better football winning percentage all time by far than KSU.
He did leave, briefly...his replacement, Ron Prince, went 2-0 against Texas. :laugh:

They might regress to mediocrity, but they'll likely NEVER return to being "Futility U."

Planks

I think you hit the nail on the head. Ultimately what will happen is ESPN will say "We will pay X for these teams" Comcast and Fox will do the same. Whomever bid higher will determine who we invite. If the stories were hearing are true then it was ESPN who was willing to go with adding just Nova and staying at 10. Comcast was leaning toward Nova, Army and Navy.

16 months...

It's going to come down to more than just money, exposure is going to play a very large part as well. In order to remain relevant in College Football, he Big East needs exposure on the first tier channels, That means ESPN, NBC, or Fox. The Big East is never going to sign a TV contract that puts its top, tier 1 games (such as WVU-Pitt) on a tier 2 channel. The Big East will NEVER sign a contract with Comcast that puts WVU-Pitt on a second tier channel like Versus/NBC Sports. The Big East will NEVER sign a contract with ESPN that puts WVU-Pitt on a second tier channel like ESPNU. The Big East will NEVER sign a contract with Fox that puts WVU-Pitt on a second tier channel like FSN.

I know a lot of TCU fans want the Big East to sign with Comcast, but If Comcast wants the Big East, then they are going to have to offer to put the top Big East games on NBC. Plain and simple. I guarentee you the Big East will never put their top games on Versus/NBC sports. NEVER.

jonatbaylor

or the Midwest version of Kentucky if we're talking basketball schools

you mean kansas right? Kansas may be the midwest version of kentucky, but not kansas state.

I did not realize ksu has done so well against texas. maybe as long as Coach Snyder is there they will fight for the number 5/6 spot in that league.

jonatbaylor

He did leave, briefly...his replacement, Ron Prince, went 2-0 against Texas. :laugh:

They might regress to mediocrity, but they'll likely NEVER return to being "Futility U."

that spot will be taken by Kansas again, who's title was "Just-shoot-me" during a 90 year stretch. Close behind is KSU minus the Snyder years.

Their main problems are the lack of population in the state, they have to raid JUCO's every year and they recruit OK and TX in competition with major schools.

Endless Purple

Beating UT doesn't mean they won't be in the cellar. (Though I don't think many would mind if KSU kept that part going.) Prince went: 4-4, 3-5, 2-6. Notice the trend.

There is nothing to say they won't return to "Futility U." An all time record of 465-610-41, including Snyder's years, doesn't bode well.

(Without Snyder: 316-530-40 - under .400 winning percent)

KingmanIII

Beating UT doesn't mean they won't be in the cellar. (Though I don't think many would mind if KSU kept that part going.) Prince went: 4-4, 3-5, 2-6. Notice the trend.

There is nothing to say they won't return to "Futility U." An all time record of 465-610-41, including Snyder's years, doesn't bode well.

(Without Snyder: 316-530-40 - under .400 winning percent)
But that's before Snyder raised the program's morale and overall national profile.

Before Snyder they wouldn't have fired a guy like Prince after only 3 seasons.

That's like saying TCU will return to the Shofner/Dry era if (hopefully a long way down the line) CGP calls it a career, something we know isn't likely to happen.

gatorfrog

So a poll in the ORLANDO SENTINAL, (a paper not distributed outside of the Orlando area) says that UCF is the third favorite. Not exactly shocking...actually yes it is, I would have guessed 4th after Miami.

You do realize that the Sentinel didn't CONDUCT the poll, just reported on it, right? You need to calm down. USF is now a perfectly decent BE program, and UCF currently is not, but this notion that you're light years ahead of your buddies up I-4 is a bit silly. Give them 5 years in the Big East, and there would again be little-to-no discernible difference. That said, there's no reason to bring them in, it's just that they're just not so much worse than Houston (who also shouldn't be brought in), except for size of market.

mtmedlin

You do realize that the Sentinel didn't CONDUCT the poll, just reported on it, right? You need to calm down. USF is now a perfectly decent BE program, and UCF currently is not, but this notion that you're light years ahead of your buddies up I-4 is a bit silly. Give them 5 years in the Big East, and there would again be little-to-no discernible difference. That said, there's no reason to bring them in, it's just that they're just not so much worse than Houston (who also shouldn't be brought in), except for size of market.

"and UCF currently is not".... This is why I rant and rave. UCF has NEVER been a good team. I am so tired of the national perception that they dont suck. 2 AQ wins in their entire history....TWO. At least Houston has won some decent games at some point and actually had success. What has UCF ever done?

and yes, we are light years ahead of them. Our facilities are better, our team beat theirs every time we playes and we actuall have signature wins that they could only dream of. Were in the BE because were a better program. We had the vision, the plan and the people to execute. UCF has been sitting around and sucking for 35 years.