• The KillerFrogs

Big East do not let ESPN stick it to you, Big 10 didn't.

Endless Purple

i apologize, there is a rather vocal annoying minority that thinks that way.

Your point about Houston adding a second Texas TV market is the point that makes them a very good addition. Those top 10 DMAs are VERY valuable. TCU gives the BE an argument to have us broadcast in that market but adding Houston give two markets that are geographically close but not overlapping. There will be TCU fans in Houston and Houston fans in Ft Worth/Dallas. Its enough to get us on the network.

By adding Houston, I think we get more money and hopefully we get a partner that will help us in the expansion. Comcast has a local network in several areas. (CSN) NY/NJ, New England/Conneticut, and others... the two that stand out are Philly and Houston. the addition of Nova and Houston would play very well in their setup.... and if the money is right from them, I would love to see them help us go after an ACC team...specifically Maryland or Georgia Tech. Neither is fully happy....also both would give us more top 10 markets....but I digress.
Have to disagree on one point. That "vocal annoying minority" may be a majority.

jonatbaylor

It's like adding Fordham because NYC has 8 million people.

That is actually kinda funny and it made me laugh a bit.

But the markets are completely different.

Texas and Houston are both football crazy and there is not only Rice, but Houston and while those names do not strike fear in anyone, they are FBS programs. So the interest is there in Houston. there is not in NYC.

Now if we were talking about HBU, then Fordham would be appropriate.

jonatbaylor

I'm kinda on the fence about UH given the lack of alternatives. Adding UH would dilute that brand in the state and make us less unique, and it might tarnish a bit of our prestige of being in a BCS conference if they were also a member.

We don't really compete with them for recruits, but we don't want to be lumped into the same category as them, either. but we earned our way into the BCS against the odds by winning on the football field.

I'm glad you posted all that, it at least helps some of us see where others are coming from.

That said, I think the whole "unique" thing is being overstated by those that feel that way. Texas has a ton of football teams - no one is confusing any of them with the others. Does it dilute UT sharing the B12 and the state of Texas with Tech, ATM and BU? No. Does it dilute OU and UT sharing the same conference? No...

What was a big reason why UT stuck around with the B12 to begin with? Sure the new TV deal - **but hushhh, it was going to get that regardless of where it ended up** it was because of all of the ties that had been built in Texas. TCU is lacking that - we don't have a consistent in-state rival or near-state rival. Just because we haven't had one of late, does not mean that it cannot be beneficial to have one in the future.

I don't see how UH going to the BE is giving it unfair rewards. The BE is usually deemed the lowest in strength of the AQ Conferences ..

cdsfrog

good to see the list, but I have to agree with mtmedlin on most points. Plus I could add a little.

BYU - like adding UT with less draw but all the arrogance. Not to mention if BYU is such a great national draw, why can't they sell out the games at TCU? Being Thursday is not a good excuse for a huge national draw like BYU.

Navy - I like, but they are similar to AF in that they have a ceiling which I believe AF has reached. With the military and academic requirements a military academy will never compete at the top level (BCS bowl) in today's college football environment. Good national draw though andworth considering.

East Carolina - many people argue about markets and ECU is what third or fourth in their own state. Does the state even have as many people as the Houston area? Plus the coverage there will not benefit TCU in any way what so ever.

SMU - If people think UH will offer competition for attention, SMU will blow it out of the water since they are both in the same TV market. The only only benefit of SMU is it opens an OOC game.

Memphis, S Miss, UCF really have nothing better than UH and agree with mtmedlin.

Houston area matters little when you deminish the conference with a pathetic joke of a team. Houston hasnt been good for 3 decades and isnt on it's way up. They have averaged around 27k attendance per game for the last 3 years.....pretty pathetic when their student base is above 40k.

Endless Purple

Houston area matters little when you deminish the conference with a pathetic joke of a team. Houston hasnt been good for 3 decades and isnt on it's way up. They have averaged around 27k attendance per game for the last 3 years.....pretty pathetic when their student base is above 40k.
Have to disagree. All of the teams you mentioned will bring the BE down just as much in terms of competition value except BYU. Thus that could not be the only reason you dislike UH. Whether people turn on the TV to watch UH is not the only consideration. If UH is in the BE, then any BE networks would get air play in Houston. That means TCU will get airplay in Houston.

Why is that important? With a BE footprint in Houston, any BE network, regional broadcast or affiliation is more likely to shown on lower levels of cable instead of just the top level. No Houston and TCU will only be seen on premium channels (if that) except for a few marquis games. Add UH and TCU can then be seen by more casual fans.

This means that more households have the channels and must then pay more money to the channels that show BE games. More money is good. Also the cable/sat companies do not identify which subscribers are UH fans and which are UT fans, they charge them all the same.

cdsfrog

UCF is a much better program. Save 2008 06, Houston has been a joke. Soon as Keenum leaves they will go back 3 or 4 wins in FBS. no thanks

I think it's stupid to add one of the worst teams out there just to get the Houston market. If they turn into something other than a festering [ Finebaum ] I am down with it.

jonatbaylor

If there is another conference shift and especially if the B12 ever does crumble or end as we know it in current form, I think it would be a good idea to pair up with Baylor. I know that is a vague statement and I will assume a bunch of people will flip out at the suggestion, but i'll give a specific what-if.

Lets say the B12 did crumble this past offseason. I remember my dad and grandpa talking about BU and TCU games going back decades. It's a shame that was lost. They would be the good rivalry fit in the BE along with us and we could kick start the rivalry again. From a media standpoint, I don't see it happening as they do not have a media market but from a nostalgia and rivalry standpoint they are the best fit in the state of Texas if that conference cut loose.I think the series is something like 51-49-7 (tcu / bu) ?

cdsfrog

If there is another conference shift and especially if the B12 ever does crumble or end as we know it in current form, I think it would be a good idea to pair up with Baylor. I know that is a vague statement but i'll give a specific what-if.

Lets say the B12 did crumble this past offseason. I remember my dad and grandpa talking about BU and TCU games going back decades. It's a shame that was lost. They would be the good rivalry fit in the BE along with us and we could kick start the rivalry again. From a media standpoint, I don't see it happening as they do not have a media market but from a nostalgia and rivalry standpoint they are the best fit in the state of Texas if that conference cut loose.

I hate them but I would sure as hell promote that over Houston. That kansas, kansas state, Missouri etc

jonatbaylor

UCF is a much better program. Save 2008 06, Houston has been a joke. Soon as Keenum leaves they will go back 3 or 4 wins in FBS. no thanks

I think it's stupid to add one of the worst teams out there just to get the Houston market. If they turn into something other than a festering [ Finebaum ] I am down with it.

I don't know the economics and realities of UH, but there must be some serious and heavy ones limiting their program...

I suppose they would need to / have to show some serious dedication (financially, expansion, etc..) to make a push. Who even knows if they want to?

jonatbaylor

I hate them but I would sure as hell promote that over Houston. That kansas, kansas state, Missouri etc

Maybe I'm a Big Mizzu fan, I dunno. From a prestige and monetary standpoint, it would be a step down for them to go to the BE imho.

But I put them in a class much higher than anyone that has been mentioned as far as joining the BE. I feel that they have had some very nice seasons over there the last 13 years. They have been consistently good, but just a step or two below that elite level I guess.

cdsfrog

Maybe I'm a Big Mizzu fan, I dunno. From a prestige and monetary standpoint, it would be a step down for them to go to the BE imho.

But I put them in a class much higher than anyone that has been mentioned as far as joining the BE. I feel that they have had some very nice seasons over there the last 13 years. They have been consistently good, but just a step or two below that elite level I guess.

this is assuming the big 12 collapses and the big 10 is not available which I dont think is going to happen.

And no idea why Houston sucks so much.

jonatbaylor

this is assuming the big 12 collapses and the big 10 is not available which I dont think is going to happen.

And no idea why Houston sucks so much.

Yeah I'd agree, esp. with the new TV deal the B12 just got +the higher penalties to exit. I was mostly just saying Mizzu was of much higher caliber than BU,Kansas, KSU etc..

cdsfrog

Yeah I'd agree, esp. with the new TV deal the B12 just got +the higher penalties to exit. I was mostly just saying Mizzu was of much higher caliber than BU,Kansas, KSU etc..

Totally agree.

Although I think Kansas has lots of potential. Needs a good coach. They invest a lot in their program

Scarface

If there is another conference shift and especially if the B12 ever does crumble or end as we know it in current form, I think it would be a good idea to pair up with Baylor. I know that is a vague statement and I will assume a bunch of people will flip out at the suggestion, but i'll give a specific what-if.

Lets say the B12 did crumble this past offseason. I remember my dad and grandpa talking about BU and TCU games going back decades. It's a shame that was lost. They would be the good rivalry fit in the BE along with us and we could kick start the rivalry again. From a media standpoint, I don't see it happening as they do not have a media market but from a nostalgia and rivalry standpoint they are the best fit in the state of Texas if that conference cut loose.I think the series is something like 51-49-7 (tcu / bu) ?

Baylor? I'm afraid you've been drinking the kool-aid yourself!

Dude, TCU stands alone. We don't need a mirror image school. We are unique and a national brand. We have our own niche. We don't want to be coupled with Baylor, Houston or any other in-state team. We are following a different strategy than our former SWC rivals who proved themselves to be not our friends. So far it's been working beyond our dreams.

Go Frogs!

Scarface

Have to disagree on one point. That "vocal annoying minority" may be a majority.

Not a maybe. The TCU administration will never allow another school from Texas or the surrounding states to join the Big East. The same policy the school had in the MWC.

The Frogs stand alone. The BE is our niche in this part of the country.

Go Frogs!

Endless Purple

Don't know what constitutes the correct time frame to judge a good program, but starting in 2005 when UCF joined CUSA:

Wins
UCF: 45
UH: 47

Conference Championships
UCF: 2
UH: 1

Bowl Games
UCF: 4 (1-3)
UH: 5 (1-4)

Polls Finish Ranked
UCF: 1
UH: 0

VS AQ Teams
UCF: 1-15
UH: 5-10

Not that different unless you look at competition vs AQ teams.

cdsfrog

Great they both are awful terrible candidates.

Lets invite buffalo, I am sure they would like to join.

If they show any real promise I think they could be a good candidate down the road. Right now they suck. Just saying there isn't a reason to be desperate. Villanova to me even makes a lot more sense than Houston.

We'll see what happens

jonatbaylor

Baylor? I'm afraid you've been drinking the kool-aid yourself!

Dude, TCU stands alone. We don't need a mirror image school. We are unique and a national brand. We have our own niche. We don't want to be coupled with Baylor, Houston or any other in-state team. We are following a different strategy than our former SWC rivals who proved themselves to be not our friends. So far it's been working beyond our dreams.

Go Frogs!

You are right, we are national.. because we have been in 4-5 conferences in a 13 year span. We jump ship so often that Allied or Mayflower should be our corporate sponsor.

The only strategy we are following is "who looks better now?"

Piss on UCF, UH, BU or anyone else you want but it is a proven fact that having a fierce and long-standing rivalry is good for the development of a school and its druthers. OU-UT. FL-FLST. USC-UCLA. ND-MICH.

If we are ever going to be a national brand, then we need to have a consistent rival..that is all I am saying and I only say it because it would help us. This whole me against the world stuff you are riding on had its place a while back when we were still cutting our teeth, but we should be way past that now.

Plus you are off on the "SWC rivals who proved themselves to be not our friends". We have played an old rival at least once a year for the better part of a decade...

froginaustin

. . .
Piss on UCF, UH, BU or anyone else you want but it is a proven fact that having a fierce and long-standing rivalry is good for the development of a school and its druthers. OU-UT. FL-FLST. USC-UCLA. ND-MICH.

If we are ever going to be a national brand, then we need to have a consistent rival..that is all I am saying and I only say it because it would help us. This whole me against the world stuff you are riding on had its place a while back when we were still cutting our teeth, but we should be way past that now.

. . ..
If our rival was to be OU, UTx, FL, FLST, USC, UCLA, ND, or MICH, you may have a point.

But if our rival was to be Houston or Baylor?

:laugh: . :ph34r:

We have better potential rivals already in the Big East.

If any old "consistent rival" was a big deal, we already have a set up with SMU. :rolleyes: