• The KillerFrogs

Big 12 in position to poach Pac 12 schools?

Dutch

T C U Froooogs

Horned Toad

I think that most outsiders do not understand the value of TCU.
I think we are maybe a few spots higher (or lower depending on what’s better in the rankings), but the reality is in that list we are smack dab in the middle of the top 64 teams which is where I think this is going. If so, that is good news for us.

Hemingway

I think we are maybe a few spots higher (or lower depending on what’s better in the rankings), but the reality is in that list we are smack dab in the middle of the top 64 teams which is where I think this is going. If so, that is good news for us.
So obviously FSU, Clemson, NCSt and Miami are going to be out there after that grant of right is up and Duke, UVA, North Carolina leave the ACC for the big ten and sec.
We get them that’s a pretty good conference

Creeperfrog

So obviously FSU, Clemson, NCSt and Miami are going to be out there after that grant of right is up and Duke, UVA, North Carolina leave the ACC for the big ten and sec.
We get them that’s a pretty good conference
I don't get all the love for UVA. I know it is a great school, basketball usually good. What am I missing? Is it bc they might bring in the DC market? Heck, TCU could also be able to bring in the Dallas or Austin market with that thinking.

Hemingway

I don't get all the love for UVA. I know it is a great school, basketball usually good. What am I missing? Is it bc they might bring in the DC market? Heck, TCU could also be able to bring in the Dallas or Austin market with that thinking.
It’s like dealing with a Cal. Academics are the sell.

Frozen Frog

Athletics are mediocre with the exception of some sports. Those sports though are heavily followed by a loyal fan base and are growing in popularity in parts of the country. Academics, location, and history make it a valuable commodity. I think some of those minor sports have helped solidify the Big Ten as the premier conference. It’s amazing how far Virginia Tech has fallen.

Creeperfrog

Athletics are mediocre with the exception of some sports. Those sports though are heavily followed by a loyal fan base and are growing in popularity in parts of the country. Academics, location, and history make it a valuable commodity. I think some of those minor sports have helped solidify the Big Ten as the premier conference. It’s amazing how far Virginia Tech has fallen.
Maybe I'm too young (30s) to know ab UVA history. I will say they prob have better academics, we have at least, if not better, location, and our minor sports are pretty good. Thinking rifle, equestrian, and tennis

Frozen Frog

Maybe I'm too young (30s) to know ab UVA history. I will say they prob have better academics, we have at least, if not better, location, and our minor sports are pretty good. Thinking rifle, equestrian, and tennis

Think lacrosse and other East Coast sports. I think the Big Ten would love to add women’s hockey.

CountryFrog

It’s like dealing with a Cal. Academics are the sell.
And Cal is likely about to get left behind.

I think the only actual value Virginia could bring to the SEC is a new market like Missouri gave them. I don't see what interest the Big Ten would have since they already have Maryland but I reserve the right to be surprised.

Frozen Frog

I’m not saying those are the most important sports. Where they do matter is when you can televise a game that gets people watching. When a conference has a network that network needs content. Rivalries are important. NCAA tournament appearances that get tv ratings matter. At one point the NCAA lacrosse championship was the highest attended championship and had the second highest tv viewership of the NCAA championships.

Prior to the Big Ten adding hockey a few years ago a televised game between Minnesota and Michigan would be split over two conferences and about 14 schools. Now the Big Ten controls that game. When those schools make the NCAA tournament it’s the Big Ten that benefits and not smaller schools.

froginmn

TCU considering move to Big South Conference
The BSC consists of an east and west division. TCU would be joining the east division of the conference. The BSC east division includes Blue Earth Area, Fairmont, New Ulm, St. James, St. Peter, and Waseca Schools. These are the teams TCU would play regularly during the season.
LOL. That's Tri-city United in Minnesota. I was wearing a TCU hat coaching softball at a tournament a few years ago and some random guy says something about how TCU is playing some great softball.

Took me a few to realize he was talking about a HS...

froginaustin

UVA is big time academics. Hate to say it but definitely more recognized for academics than TCU.

Their football is usually mediocre, but they sell a lot of tickets for a small-enrollment undergraduate school.

Limey Frog

UVA is big time academics. Hate to say it but definitely more recognized for academics than TCU.

Their football is usually mediocre, but they sell a lot of tickets for a small-enrollment undergraduate school.
It's a clone of the typical Big Ten institution in a state that the Big Ten doesn't currently have an institution: populous state's 'flagship' R1 school. It's a no-brainer for the Big Ten, which makes it appealing to the SEC as well, most likely.

Plus, they won't threaten Ohio State in football.

I think the no-brainer ACC schools will be UNC, UVa, Clemson, and FSU. The 'maybe' schools are NC State, Miami, Duke and Georgia Tech or Virginia Tech. The 'SOL' schools will be Wake, Pitt, Syracuse, BC, and Louisville.

I tend to think the Big Ten is only goin to want two of those, and the SEC at most four. That leaves the possibility of some enticing programs for an expanded Big 12 (assuming things with the Pac 12 go as we think they will sometime in the next 5 years or so). My (realistic) dream list would be: NC State, Miami, VT, and Pitt. I kind of doubt Miami is that realistic, frankly, and I'd be just as happy with Louisville.

Last edited: