• The KillerFrogs

Big 12 in position to poach Pac 12 schools?

Eight

Agree with a previous poster that UTSA has done more to earn a move up to P5 than SMU. Far more. And it's an untapped, large Texas market (31 nationally) where I believe people would actually attend and/or watch games on tv. And they play baseball.

Academically? OK, SMU gets scoreboard there.

playing in the alamodome is a big hell no, interesting that you mention the two locations involved in the biggest stadium support cluster scheisss ever witnessed by frogdom and reason enough to say scheiss off and die to both programs

ShreveFrog

@Eight - Agree on the venue. But it's all they've got and I think it would actually be filled with I think twice the amount of seating at SMU, where only a fraction of the seats are filled.

Mean Purple

Watching some of these discussions about the two super league idea is comical. It's the football version of those late 70's early 80's rock mags.
"Will the Led Zeppelin and KISS Super Group Finally Happen?"

LVH

The obsession with SMU around here at times is kind of embarrassing.

Of course they haven't been nearly as successful as we have and are an "inferior program", but they have some things going for them where I could see them being attractive to a league that needs to add some teams. Good for them if they get a chance to jump up a notch. I don't think that would hurt TCU at all.
I'm one of those who want to play them every year, but I believe college sports is best when regional teams play each other instead of avoiding each other like a bunch of prideful cowards(looking at you A&M)

82 Frog Fever

Agree with a previous poster that UTSA has done more to earn a move up to P5 than SMU. Far more. And it's an untapped, large Texas market (31 nationally) where I believe people would actually attend and/or watch games on tv. And they play baseball.

Academically? OK, SMU gets scoreboard there.
In 11 seasons UTSA has 2 victories over P5 teams, & -0- bowl wins.
They had some success the last two years, but that was with an SOS of 101 out of 130.

Both SMU & UTSA are awful, and neither has done anything to be considered for a P5 move up.
To consider either one for any P5 conference would be an act of total desperation.

Limey Frog

I think the money on the Pac's deal won't come out low enough to push Arizona and Co. to jump, but whether it will be enough to convince Oregon to sign a GOR is another matter. If not, it works out to the same thing.

I think the money on the Pac's deal won't come out low enough to push Arizona and Co. to jump, but whether it will be enough to convince Oregon to sign a GOR is another matter. If not, it works out to the same thing.

The importance of basketball for the Big 12 and TCU. @Gary's Shirtless Revenge has mentioned this undervalued buckets media secret several times over the last 1.5 years.

I speculate hoops is a big factor why the new Big 12 remains competitive in media value relative to the PAC and ACC.

From the article—
Yormark strongly believes basketball is undervalued in these TV rights talks. He has dropped hints about an interest in unbundling it from football and selling those rights separately when the Big 12 next hits the market in 2030-31. That’s one motivation behind the Big 12’s continued talks with hoops powerhouse Gonzaga. Joining as a non-football member would mean a smaller revenue share for the Bulldogs, but they’d be an inarguably valuable addition. Arizona, a top-10 program with more Pac-12 titles than every school but Big Ten-bound UCLA, would similarly boost the best conference in men’s college basketball and its long-term ambitions.

“I think we have an opportunity to monetize basketball in a way that hasn’t been done before,” Yormark said in an appearance on the Wilner & Canzano podcast last month. “It’s certainly something I’m thinking about. So if the opportunity ever exists where, within the construct of what makes sense for expansion, as part of that, we could double down on basketball and further cement our leadership position, it’s certainly something that I’m willing to consider.”

Last edited:

Eight

The importance of basketball for the Big 12 and TCU. @Gary’s Shirtless Revenge has mentioned this undervalued media secret several times over the last 1.5 years.

I will guess it is a big factor as why the new Big 12 remains competitive relative to the PAC and ACC.

From the article—
Yormark strongly believes basketball is undervalued in these TV rights talks. He has dropped hints about an interest in unbundling it from football and selling those rights separately when the Big 12 next hits the market in 2030-31. That’s one motivation behind the Big 12’s continued talks with hoops powerhouse Gonzaga. Joining as a non-football member would mean a smaller revenue share for the Bulldogs, but they’d be an inarguably valuable addition. Arizona, a top-10 program with more Pac-12 titles than every school but Big Ten-bound UCLA, would similarly boost the best conference in men’s college basketball and its long-term ambitions.

“I think we have an opportunity to monetize basketball in a way that hasn’t been done before,” Yormark said in an appearance on the Wilner & Canzano podcast last month. “It’s certainly something I’m thinking about. So if the opportunity ever exists where, within the construct of what makes sense for expansion, as part of that, we could double down on basketball and further cement our leadership position, it’s certainly something that I’m willing to consider.”

the one question about marketing men's basketball on it's own is aside from espn who has the ability to provide adequate, comparable shelf space to espn?

Last edited:

82 Frog Fever

@82 Frog Fever - A couple of conference championships of late -- albeit CUSA -- and top 25 rankings. Pickings are slim.
Yes, they did have CUSA wins over 4 and 5 loss teams W. Ky. & N. Texas, so I guess that counts, but they’ve never finished a season inside the top 25 rankings.

I agree, the pickings are slim and UTSA is probably around the top 5.

The rankings for Group of 5 teams based on national prominence, athletic achievement, & brand recognition probably looks something like
1) Boise, 2) SDSU, 3) SMU, 4) Tulane, 5) Fresno St., UTSA, Memphis, USF, Coastal Carolina.

…but other than Boise (finished ranked 9 times in last 15 years), none deserve an upgrade.

Wexahu

Explain these things. They have some rich alumni. Name something else.
- Located in a football rich State in one of the best recruiting areas in the country.
- Reasonably successful in the AAC.
- At least some football tradition, admittedly going back in time a bit.
- Good school academically
- Being in DFW probably seen as a plus
- And like you said, rich alumni.

I’m not saying they would be some major coup for a league but they offer as much and more than some of these names being thrown around.

Hemingway

The importance of basketball for the Big 12 and TCU. @Gary's Shirtless Revenge has mentioned this undervalued buckets media secret several times over the last 1.5 years.

I speculate hoops is a big factor why the new Big 12 remains competitive in media value relative to the PAC and ACC.

From the article—

Okay @Gary's Shirtless Revenge , you always said that college basketball had some kind of hidden value. Will they allow this spin off ?