• The KillerFrogs

Big 12 in position to poach Pac 12 schools?

hometown frog

I saw from a few of the journalists that have been covering this most closely that Kliavkoff is going to present the current status of negotiations/options to Pac ADs today. Board meeting(s) the following day are to present that information, and presumably to discuss related options. No deal of this type can be accepted, rejected, or anything in between without board approval, and most public universities are legally required to publish the times/agendas of their BOT meetings. The board meeting is the realignment equivalent of 'flight tracker' during coaching hire speculation circuses: everyone loves to see "conference update" on the agenda. All that to say, a BOT meeting at any Pac school doesn't mean a discussion of leaving or vote to leave, imminently or otherwise. They might talk about Kliavkoff's duct-taped deal with iHeartRadio and Nickelodeon and vote to authorize the AD and president to accept it.

FWIW, I think there's a pretty good chance that at least Arizona doesn't do that. But just the fact that a BOT meeting is happening and that they're talking about the Pac's media rights means nothing by itself.
Agreed. But there seems to be smoke around this CU story that’s more than just the review of the Nickelodeon media package, which I expect is a primary agenda item under that executive session topcover.
interesting to watch unfold I’ll say that.

Deep Purple

LOL. That's Tri-city United in Minnesota. I was wearing a TCU hat coaching softball at a tournament a few years ago and some random guy says something about how TCU is playing some great softball.

Took me a few to realize he was talking about a HS...
When I first moved to Fort Worth at age 22 (1978), I was driving a delivery van part-time. One day I made a delivery to Meacham Field, and some FAA bureaucrat looked at my Houston Astros ball camp and asked. "Did you play for Haltom City?"

FrogAbroad

You are aware that it is no more?
I've not been to Fort Worth in far too many years, but my understanding is that the original (well, semi-original) PCS had changed hands and another not-quite-as-good-but-pricier edition under new ownership/management had continued operating. Was I mistaken?

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
I've not been to Fort Worth in far too many years, but my understanding is that the original (well, semi-original) PCS had changed hands and another not-quite-as-good-but-pricier edition under new ownership/management had continued operating. Was I mistaken?
Without the guidance of the longtime owner, and well-oiled staff, I cannot see how it will be anything like what it was. Alas, the things we cherish pass along into memory...

froginaustin

If these PAC leftover teams can't draw flies, I don't understand why they are worth more to the B12 than they are as members of the PAC. Maybe they ought to be left to a Great Mountain West Conference, with the B12 standing at 12 or looking east if the conference can't live with "only" 12 teams.

hometown frog

If these PAC leftover teams can't draw flies, I don't understand why they are worth more to the B12 than they are as members of the PAC. Maybe they ought to be left to a Great Mountain West Conference, with the B12 standing at 12 or looking east if the conference can't live with "only" 12 teams.
I think partly there’s value to being able to fire a kill shot to one of your main conference competitors in the media arena. then I suspect there’s longevity value in trying to be one of the early adopters to the large mega conference model many think we are heading towards. So the combo of those two things prob provide intangible value beyond a hard $$ contract value.

I also find this storyline of BY trying to spin the conference basketball media rights into a standalone contract opportunity VERY interesting. If that’s the case and Turner really is excited to jump into the mix and pay premium for big xii basketball content, then those schools may actually provide hard $$ compared to their current collective PAC GOR values.

froggy

I would think if the schools are in the big 12 the big 12 schools would more likely watch the late night slot on the west coast bringing more viewers to that time slot

It's a clone of the typical Big Ten institution in a state that the Big Ten doesn't currently have an institution: populous state's 'flagship' R1 school. It's a no-brainer for the Big Ten, which makes it appealing to the SEC as well, most likely.

Plus, they won't threaten Ohio State in football.

I think the no-brainer ACC schools will be UNC, UVa, Clemson, and FSU. The 'maybe' schools are NC State, Miami, Duke and Georgia Tech or Virginia Tech. The 'SOL' schools will be Wake, Pitt, Syracuse, BC, and Louisville.

I tend to think the Big Ten is only goin to want two of those, and the SEC at most four. That leaves the possibility of some enticing programs for an expanded Big 12 (assuming things with the Pac 12 go as we think they will sometime in the next 5 years or so). My (realistic) dream list would be: NC State, Miami, VT, and Pitt. I kind of doubt Miami is that realistic, frankly, and I'd be just as happy with Louisville.
I heard the Big Ten wanted to be a two-region conference and the plan, before USC and UCLA joining, was to expand on the east coast in the early 2030’s. I think the taking of Rutgers and Maryland made this plan relatively obvious, setting the table to then add the contiguous and more academically prestigious Virginia and North Carolina and whomever else they value in the ACC.

But then, USC alone unexpectedly called the Big Ten and if the Big Ten rejected them, the Big Ten assumed USC would then call the SEC because USC did not want to get left behind in the forthcoming, increasing stratified pay. So the Big Ten took USC, and UCLA, and their value justified it.

Their clean two-region plan of their original Midwest roots and the east coast expansion now has a monkey wrench. They have to decide whether to expand more on the west coast or leave USC/UCLA stranded. It is all a Big Ten playground, or pigpen.

Last edited:

NORMLFROG

I think partly there’s value to being able to fire a kill shot to one of your main conference competitors in the media arena. then I suspect there’s longevity value in trying to be one of the early adopters to the large mega conference model many think we are heading towards. So the combo of those two things prob provide intangible value beyond a hard $$ contract value.

I also find this storyline of BY trying to spin the conference basketball media rights into a standalone contract opportunity VERY interesting. If that’s the case and Turner really is excited to jump into the mix and pay premium for big xii basketball content, then those schools may actually provide hard $$ compared to their current collective PAC GOR values.

Spot on! Really intrigued about the second paragraph of your post. Looks like BY is looking way beyond the gridiron for monetizing opportunities.

NF