• The KillerFrogs

Big 12 in position to poach Pac 12 schools?

Something for everybody to consider… BY doesn’t visit UCONN for even an “exploratory visit” if he isn’t invited, and if there isn’t some interest.

Also, some things to keep in mind:

- UCONN is wrapping up a pricy exit from the AAC over the next few years, and is running an athletics deficit.

- FOX is their media rights holder and now has almost all of the BIG basketball inventory and a meaningful chunk of Big 12 ball too. The Big East just started negotiations with FOX on a new deal that would start with the 2025-2026 season.

- Given those two chunks of basketball rights now owned through the end of the decade, how much more inventory does FOX want? Given they don’t have a streaming platform to toss inventory onto, they do have some limitations to what they can do given their other programming schedules. Do they really want to go spend a bunch of money for Big East basketball to only then turn around and license a big chunk of it out to somebody else? Do they have that spending appetite too, or are the BIG and B12 enough?

I’d imagine all of these things are on the minds of UCONN admins, and if they could move Men’s and Women’s Basketball to the B12 for something like $5-8 million annually, might they do that? UCONN vs. Kansas in Paris would be interesting!

Eight

Something for everybody to consider… BY doesn’t visit UCONN for even an “exploratory visit” if he isn’t invited, and if there isn’t some interest.

- UCONN is wrapping up a pricy exit from the AAC over the next few years, and is running an athletics deficit.

- FOX is their media rights holder and now has almost all of the BIG basketball inventory and a meaningful chunk of Big 12 ball too. The Big East just started negotiations with FOX on a new deal that would start with the 2025-2026 season.

- Given those two chunks of basketball rights now owned through the end of the decade, how much more inventory does FOX want? Given they don’t have a streaming platform to toss inventory onto, they do have some limitations to what they can do given their other programming schedules. Do they really want to go spend a bunch of money for Big East basketball to only then turn around and license a big chunk of it out to somebody else? Do they have that spending appetite too, or are the BIG and B12 enough?

I’d imagine all of these things are on the minds of UCONN admins, and if they could move Men’s and Women’s Basketball to the B12 for something like $5-8 million annually, might they do that? UCONN vs. Kansas in Paris would be interesting!

my biggest problem adding someone like uconn is there is no connection to anyone else so just play them in nonconference

just add az with the other 3 corner schools and you get a very good basketball brand with tie ins

same thoughts on gonzaga

bc puckett

Gary:
All of that is very interesting but you need to keep one thing in mind although at the end of the day it might not trump a significant money gap. The main reason UConn left the AAC to return everything but football to the Big East was because the BB fans were revolting over 1) their conference opponents, and not being able to play the old school BE teams like Georgetown, Providence, and Villanova etc and 2) Not being able to play in the BE tournament @ MSG. That's like Mecca to these people and the lost their minds not being able to be NYC 's "sixth borough" (yes that expression exists on tee-shirts, billboards bumper stickers etc) every March.

Of course since you couldn't pay me to watch a BB game on any level it really doesn't matter to me one way or the other. Just thought I would point out the fan mentality.

Tshirt Fan

outside of spokane, you just described the state of washington east of the mountains
Dude, really?

Have you ever even stepped foot anywhere near or north of Grand Coulee?
Or spent any time in Leavenworth or Walla Walla?
Or camped in the Blue Mountains?

If you really feel strongly about this, maybe we can arrange for you to tour the Columbia from Mattawa to Richland, go ashore and you can pick and eat all the wild blueberries and huckleberries you find.

Gary:
All of that is very interesting but you need to keep one thing in mind although at the end of the day it might not trump a significant money gap. The main reason UConn left the AAC to return everything but football to the Big East was because the BB fans were revolting over 1) their conference opponents, and not being able to play the old school BE teams like Georgetown, Providence, and Villanova etc and 2) Not being able to play in the BE tournament @ MSG. That's like Mecca to these people and the lost their minds not being able to be NYC 's "sixth borough" (yes that expression exists on tee-shirts, billboards bumper stickers etc) every March.

Of course since you couldn't pay me to watch a BB game on any level it really doesn't matter to me one way or the other. Just thought I would point out the fan mentality.
Since when do admins consider the feelings of fans when making these decisions?

bc puckett

Since when do admins consider the feelings of fans when making these decisions?
Well I would say never but these people are not normal and did help force their AAC exit. I mean how many admins would yank a football program from a viable conference to make it independent just to satisfy their BB fans and get back in the Big East?

82 Frog Fever

Maybe UConn is a “[ Finebaum ] or get off the pot” smoke signal to our 4 corner friends?
Considering the B12 put out numerous other exploratory requests to schools like San Diego State, UNLV, Memphis, Colorado State, SMU, and Fresno State, it’s hard to believe there is much reality in UConn to the B12.
In addition:
- UConn athletics Dept. ran at a $53m budget deficit for 2022.
- They would have to pay a $30m exit fee to the BigEast
- Football is the main financial factor, & UConn football is abysmal.

Last edited:

Eight

Dude, really?

Have you ever even stepped foot anywhere near or north of Grand Coulee?
Or spent any time in Leavenworth or Walla Walla?
Or camped in the Blue Mountains?

If you really feel strongly about this, maybe we can arrange for you to tour the Columbia from Mattawa to Richland, go ashore and you can pick and eat all the wild blueberries and huckleberries you find.

you ever been to the tri-cities, cle elum, goldendale, ellensburg, or yakivegas, the palm springs of the northwest

my wife is from central washington, family is still there, and we visit once a year.

there are beautiful parks to hike through, the american river is cold as heck to swim in, but great for rafting, but most of the state east of the mountains is agricultural and most of those towns look like it which is why most kids in the yakima area that go to college don't come back. the fry sauce at miner's will only keep them there so long

my wife's nieces and nephews didn't and all her siblings moved to either king county or vancouver/cam as

again, beautiful area, great food, great wine, my favorite beer is bale breaker who is set in the middle of hops fields, but outside of spokane, the towns are pretty damn dreary

82 Frog Fever

you ever been to the tri-cities, cle elum, goldendale, ellensburg, or yakivegas, the palm springs of the northwest

my wife is from central washington, family is still there, and we visit once a year.

there are beautiful parks to hike through, the american river is cold as heck to swim in, but great for rafting, but most of the state east of the mountains is agricultural and most of those towns look like it which is why most kids in the yakima area that go to college don't come back. the fry sauce at miner's will only keep them there so long

my wife's nieces and nephews didn't and all her siblings moved to either king county or vancouver/cam as

again, beautiful area, great food, great wine, my favorite beer is bale breaker who is set in the middle of hops fields, but outside of spokane, the towns are pretty damn dreary
I spent a couple years in Wenatchee, which is just on the other side of the ridge from some of the towns you mentioned.
Beautiful area with fantastic camping and fishing. You are fortunate to visit annually.

Eight

I spent a couple years in Wenatchee, which is just on the other side of the ridge from some of the towns you mentioned.
Beautiful area with fantastic camping and fishing. You are fortunate to visit annually.

wenatchee is a bit of a hidden secret where it lies with all those national parks and the mountains

father-in-law was a big bird hunter and he had access to tribal lands south of yakima, helped feed the family when they had all of them at home.