• The KillerFrogs

Big 12 in position to poach Pac 12 schools?

bc puckett

hate to disagree, but uconn as a football power is hard to foresee
It would be easier to see TCU becoming a hockey power. No one in this state cares about UConn football. If put to a vote the majority of people would be in favor of dropping to FCS or dropping it altogether. Media coverage is nothing but basketball (men's and women's) 24/7/365.

hate to disagree, but uconn as a football power is hard to foresee
I agree, long odds as I said.

However, there have been these little blips, like the 2010 team that won 8 games, had a "star" running back, and played in the Fiesta Bowl. That year they averaged 38,000 per home game and if I remember correctly they had pretty strong TV ratings all year long.

It's a basketball school, for sure, but IF they can get it figured out and get something rolling they have a higher ceiling than most admit. Much higher than Kansas, for instance.

But yes, the floor is quite low.

Hemingway

OK I have to live in this [ Finebaum ]hole of a state (at least for a couple of more years) and put up with all the Uconn
clowns and this is the first I've heard of this crap. I need someone like GSR to please tell me this is not going to happen.

Fairfield is nice

82 Frog Fever

OK I have to live in this [ Finebaum ]hole of a state (at least for a couple of more years) and put up with all the Uconn
clowns and this is the first I've heard of this crap. I need someone like GSR to please tell me this is not going to happen.

That would be a huge gamble, & there are much better bets for BY.

-The B12 has an agreement from ESPN, NBC, & Fox to provide commensurate compensation ($31.7m/annual) for adding any Power5 schools. That would not apply with UConn or SDSU.
-I believe any credits UConn is holding from Bball, including the $10m from this season, would have to remain in BigEast.
-Bball is important, but not nearly as important as FB. UConn FB is nearly worthless. Even if everything went well for them, they wouldn’t be competitive for at least 5 years. It’s more likely they would just water down the conference.

If the B12 takes on the “4 corners“, ASU, UA, & Co. will already be watering down the FB product for several years. And it will probably be several more years before UCF, Houston, Cincy, & BYU are ready to compete at a high P5 level
That’s a lot of watered down FB for the next several years.
We shouldn’t add UConn on top of that.

Endless Purple

Yes, there are some large schools making a good effort to become more competitive. ASU, Col., & OSU.

But Arizona is doing very little in football, they really are a Bball school.

Cal. & Stanford will never be very competitive. They have extensive academic restrictions in recruiting and they have chosen not to compete in the new NIL world.

Wazzu is really a Group team. They are Mtn West expansion.

The B12 needs to be a little picky here and stick to the ”4 Corner” plan.
Inviting any more than that would not make the B12 stronger.
ASU has some good football history, and I would not mind them in the Big 12.

Colorado has some history, but not sure they would be a first choice, but not bad.

OSU (OregonSU??) no. They are getting better but they do not have the history or geography to show they can contribute long term.

Stanford has an all time winning percent of .575. They have a good football program and can compete. They will not dominate, but could be expected to make regular runs at the conference title with good coaches.

WSU to MWC, I agree. (Cal here too)

AZ, ASU, Utah,would all hold their own with TV revenue. Colorado maybe, but Denver is a good market.

Stanford would be a good add, if for no other reason than seeing them needing BYU, Baylor and TCU to vote for them.

bc puckett

I agree, long odds as I said.

However, there have been these little blips, like the 2010 team that won 8 games, had a "star" running back, and played in the Fiesta Bowl. That year they averaged 38,000 per home game and if I remember correctly they had pretty strong TV ratings all year long.

It's a basketball school, for sure, but IF they can get it figured out and get something rolling they have a higher ceiling than most admit. Much higher than Kansas, for instance.

But yes, the floor is quite low.
Gary:

Respect your knowledge of most things related to CFB but you are way off here. Yes in 2010 they won 8 games and thanks to a 3 tie for the Big East championship they won the tie breaker and went to the Fiesta Bowl thanks to the BE tie in where they got curb stomped by an OU team with zero to play for. Also 38,000 which may have been published is a fantasy figure. Their stadium is located about 20 miles from campus at the end of an abandoned landing strip and is literally falling down with no money in the state budget for repairs. Students are bussed to games, get off the busses, drink heavily for 2 hours and return to campus on the busses before kickoff. Free tickets are available at businesses throughout the state and they still can't get 20,000. The interest just is not there.

Also high school football in CT might produce 3-5 D1 players in a season so the recruiting base is almost non-existent. Basketball school? Obviously. Football "powerhouse"? No chance

OICU812

Idk why you’re so mad about CT I just met a lady at a party said she’s from New Haven and there’s good pizza, so, COME on, maaan!!!

dobbiesquad4

Seriously, have you seen the toilet bowls in Pullman? I haven't either, but I assume they aren't large enough for a full-grown giant to take a dump right into the Brazos.

Sic 'em!
I moved my son to Pullman for a new job from Birmingham and yes it’s a toilet bowl. Older campus surrounded by Farms.

Limey Frog

This just popped up on my YouTube feed: Andrew Marchand doing a segment with a K-State blogger/podcaster. The only thing in here that seems at all new is that he says the NBC option with USA Network isn't an option for the Pac, per his sources. Otherwise, it's a summary of a lot of what he's already said.

This lends considerable credence to Tramel saying that Colorado could announce a move "soon" (by the end of June for a July 1st 2024 start date?).

(This probably doesn't count as news. If not, I'm sorry; please feel free to ignore it and go back to calling anyone who likes pizza but not Democrats a racist.)

Last edited: