• The KillerFrogs

Big 12 2023

Endless Purple

The problem with SMU is the “opponent strength” part. The strength of your opponent means nothing, the only thing that matters is the perception of your opponent strength. And from a national perception standpoint, SMU is the same as UTEP, Rice, etc. The perception is that they are just another random G5 school that should be an easy game for a P5 program the caliber of TCU.

The issue is that SMU is in fact a really tough game, they treat us as their Super Bowl every year. Yet we get no credit for winning a tough game. It’s the worst case scenario. You have to win a tough game but you get no credit for winning a tough game.

A win over SMU is never going to be the thing that convinces the committee to put us in the playoff as a wildcard, but a loss to SMU very much could be the thing that convinces the committee to leave us out.

Our OOC schedule should consist of two times of opponents:

A) Easy games that pad our win column (Colorado, Tarletan State, etc.)
Or
B) Stretch games that improve our national perception and would be an undeniable marque win (or “quality loss”) in the eyes of the committee (LSU, Ohio State, Clemson, etc.)

SMU fits into neither of those categories.
So basically, you think no one should have ever scheduled TCU during the MWC or CUSA days?

SMU does have a better perception than bottom CUSA and Sunbelt teams. When you push keeping FCS teams that impact our SOS opponent strength perception, but dropping SMU, many might question your perspectives.

PS. Since 2000, TCU is 17-4 vs SMU. If that is too tough of an opponent, there may be issues getting anyone for OOC.

One Frog Nation

Can respect that, but I think the 8 home games should be banned or only count 7 towards win/loss record.
I doubt that the SEC or Big 10 is about to ban 8 home games a year. I do agree that there should be some rule on home games to level the playing field, at least among the Power 5 conferences but I don't think a level playing field is what the big state schools want. When you are a big state school with 100k seating it is easier to pay out more to get schools to come. I mean University of North Texas has kept football afloat by playing a lot of big time school at their stadium.

Endless Purple

I doubt that the SEC or Big 10 is about to ban 8 home games a year. I do agree that there should be some rule on home games to level the playing field, at least among the Power 5 conferences but I don't think a level playing field is what the big state schools want. When you are a big state school with 100k seating it is easier to pay out more to get schools to come. I mean University of North Texas has kept football afloat by playing a lot of big time school at their stadium.
Maybe not, but they rarely play 8 home games. The SEC model is 7 home and 1 neutral site with a rare 8 home mixed in. Michigan was one of the few I could find multiple 8 home schedules since 2016.

While they can pay more with a 100,000 seat stadium, does not mean it is fair competition. I believe in giving some semblance of a fair playing field such as with scholarship limits. That is why I believe there should be a rule. Not that I expect there will be as too few people remain who actually believe that winning should be done on the field.

puckster59

If TCU wants to be a program that considers itself worthy of competing for national championships , which is where we are now, then programs like SMU need to prove themselves before getting an annual home and home.

Again, the TCU-SMU rivalry is the ONLY P5-G5 annual rivalry in the entire country. They don’t deserve it.

West Virginia doesn’t play Marshall. Do you know why? They don’t deserve it. They haven’t earned it.
In very many of these cases, the game isn't played mostly because there's not a "win" for West Virginia in this matchup. Most coaches/administrations don't want to play a regional rival that isn't at their level because it's a lose/lose proposition. It's not entirely different in the case of TCU-SMU, even if it is a long-time "rivalry" game. SMU is going to earn more cred beating TCU in this era than the other way around.

puckster59

I agree neither will stop playing eight home games, any more than the SEC will stop playing four nonconference games. And in neither case, is it going to be held against them because "Hey, they're the SEC!"

westoverhillbilly

The TCU-SMU series is such that there have only been a few times when it had real significance as one team always has prominence when the other is down. Over the last 25+ years and perhaps beyond that, TCU as a program overwhelms SMU in terms of on the field achievements, attendance, traveling fans and facilities. Add these facts to SMU's lousy hosting capabilities for home games, and something needs to be changed in the series besides granting them a home game every other year. Not sure what the best solution is, just easy to identify the problem.

Frogs1983

This thread has become a clear guide as to what is wrong with COLLEGE football. For those going just on money (ie. dump SMU) - NFL forums are three clicks to the left. It is really sad that so few of these fans remember where TCU was and the effort made to grow now to be just football snobs.

The people advocating to dump SMU due to money or stadium size (FYI, we don't get their gate, so who cares what size their stadium is) are why college football is going to garbage and becoming money ball. By pushing that agenda, it encourages it to go further rather than efforts made to protect the few100 year rivalries and traditions that are left.. FYI, just saying that it is happening anyway is a cop out thus furthering the money agenda - it happens when people don't speak out and continue to spout garbage like dump SMU and tradition so we can play only for more money. I know many people that have already or are on the verge of dropping college football. I hope the money people are willing to pick up the slack.

What happens when teams like LSU, Ohio St, Michigan, USC, Texas, even Texas Tech start to claim that a 45,000 seat stadium isn't worth their time to play in since it is "so small"?
I am an old time TCU fan( 50 years)/Alum, so I appreciate the TCU/SMU rivalry history.I even live in Dallas now, so do like being able to go to see Frogs in Dallas. I prefer keeping the series, but maybe a 2-1 home deal for Frogs.

I am more interested in getting rid of games against Grambling, Tarleton, Nichols, etc...

McFroggin

I am an old time TCU fan( 50 years)/Alum, so I appreciate the TCU/SMU rivalry history.I even live in Dallas now, so do like being able to go to see Frogs in Dallas. I prefer keeping the series, but maybe a 2-1 home deal for Frogs.

I am more interested in getting rid of games against Grambling, Tarleton, Nichols, etc...

From a fan perspective, I agree with dropping Tarleton, but these are big development games for the team. True freshmen get meaningful minutes and work off jitters. It’s s bad coaching move to drop those games.

SMU is a no win game. They put up enough of a fight that we can’t develop young players. If we lose, we yank our year. If we win, we get no credit for a win.

Eight

According to SMU‘s Forum the majority of their sniveling (censor) fans

are pulling for Georgia to win. After the 2023 season we need to remove

these worthless (censors) from our schedule.

did you inadvertently download a virus that took control of your computer?

not sure why you would be on an smu website today otherwise

let the dead bury the dead

FinanceFrog

I can’t blame them. no way in hell I would root for baylor in a natty. I didn’t root for baylor in the armed forces bowl. baylor could not get a first down for 10 years and I would be disappointed in year 11 when they finally got a first down.

cfb is about hating your rivals. that’s just being a football guy.

CountryFrog

did you inadvertently download a virus that took control of your computer?

not sure why you would be on an smu website today otherwise

let the dead bury the dead
Seriously. Who the scheiss cares what these other fans think. They're obviously upset that we're here and they aren't but guess what, WE'RE HERE AND THEY AREN'T! So there's not a single scheissing thing they could say or think that would make any difference at this point.

I'm sure Auburn and Georgia Tech boards are probably full of "Go Frogs!" today.

dawg

Their fan hosts a forum? Bless his (or her) heart.

The FCS game is a joke, but those gates do find a portion of their athletic budgets. I’d rather a G5 matchup, though. Also…never again should we have a bye before mid October. We were definitely running on vapor at the end of the season.

Brog

And if SMU or Baylor were in the National Championship game in Los Angeles tonight, our fans would be united in cheering them on, rooting for them to win and bring the championship back to Waco or University Park. Yeah, right, uh huh, no doubt.

We are the only former SWC team that has continued to play SMU

on a regular schedule. If they wish to continue the series…let all

of the games be played at the Carter rather than that high school

stadium that they call home.
Houston plays them every year. We'll see if that continues when Houston joins the Big XII.