• The KillerFrogs

Big 12 2023

One Frog Nation

Any thoughts or ideas on who TCU will play in the big 12 next year? Michigan played 8 home games this year, TCU needs to work towards that goal. That should mean that if SMU wants to keep playing us, all the games should be here. For several years, I have thought that we need to drop SMU and get others for a home game. Most of the big state teams play at least 7 home games and often 8. UTSA / North Texas, etc are just as good to play early in the season as SMU.

fanatical frog

Any thoughts or ideas on who TCU will play in the big 12 next year? Michigan played 8 home games this year, TCU needs to work towards that goal. That should mean that if SMU wants to keep playing us, all the games should be here. For several years, I have thought that we need to drop SMU and get others for a home game. Most of the big state teams play at least 7 home games and often 8. UTSA / North Texas, etc are just as good to play early in the season as SMU.

Could not agree more....have actually declined to for the past ten years or so.

Limey Frog

I'm guessing we'll not end up playing every school in Texas, which is a huge bummer. Other schools, especially the new ones, will want their chances to play in Texas. I'm guessing we'll play Baylor but miss one of Texas, Tech or Houston. Of the new members I hope we get BYU.

Putt4Purple

I prefer to play at least 4 away games not against 5. The reason? Teams like Michigan and other State schools can become complacent and spoiled. I feel our games away from home and winning will be beneficial for us in the playoffs. The Big12 game at AT@T Stadium was still beneficial for us even with the loss. Of course we will find out if my hypothesis is correct on December 31st. Go Frogs!

Wexahu

They don’t “often” play 8 home games, just occasionally. FWIW, Michigan has 7 home games the next two years and then 6 in 2025. Our problem is our road OOC game is coinciding with when we have only 4 conference home games.

TCUdirtbag

No clue how the schedule will set up. I am guessing we will still play 9 conference games?
Correct on 9.

We have our entire OOC slate — Colorado and SMU and Nichols — at home next year. So we’ll have 7 (possibly but unlikely 8) home games.

It’s leaked that TCU @ UH will be the Cougars’ first Big 12 game and it will be in week 3 (so we’ll start with CU, Nichols, @UH, SMU in September).

It’s our typical year to get UT and Baylor at AGCS. I’ll be disappointed if that doesn’t happen. Otherwise I don’t really care who we get or where we get them.

Frog DJ

I understand why TCU likes the SMU series. When I was a student, the Ponies were much-hated, bitter rivals.

These days, they‘re not nearly as important as Baylor, Tech and of course - the arrogant, entitled Longhorns.

Even without the Orangebloods, TCU has some shorter road trips in the Big XII, but none as close as Dallas.

It’s just too easy to take a quick bus trip to Big D, and chalk up an easy OOC win to warm up conference play.

That having been said, I can also see why TCU would want to cultivate more appealing matchups for that game.

After all, the Frogs will soon visit Houston every other year (we assume), and the drive time is similar to Austin.

So, there are pros and cons to the series, but as “an old,” I still enjoy reminding SMU who their “big brother” is.

Go Frogs!

Cougar/Frog

In the future:

Keep playing SMU, but 2 for 1. SMU should be thankful for a paycheck every 3rd year.

Play one G5 or FCS Texas school (or nearby states). Paycheck but spread around the love.

Play a good OOC game P5.

Get a mid season bye week.

Endless Purple

Keep SMU, ditch the FCS team. Maybe SMU can be rotated once in awhile with other Texas teams.

No to trying for 8 home games. That should be banned. Michigan has done it a few times when they have 4 conference road games. The big pattern is the SEC who does 7 home games, one "neutral" and 4 away for the big name schools. (I did not check middle SEC teams).

Rumors on UH board were that TCU would open their conference play in Houston. That has slowed down with all the new chatter about UT OU wanting out early.

Limey Frog

In the future:

Keep playing SMU, but 2 for 1. SMU should be thankful for a paycheck every 3rd year.
They would say 'no' to that. They aren't going to be insulted any more than we would have agreed to those terms with Baylor when we were in the MWC. People have too-short memories. SMU should be treated with the dignity that the history of our programs' rivalry merits, regardless of what you think of SMU football today. This is among the reasons for which I hope they get an invite to the Pac 12: maybe that change of status will vicariously imbue the series with enough dignity to convince whoever needs convincing that we should continue to play it every year.

It's college football; you play your rivals. All of the programs who don't want to play their rivals anymore are the problem.

Correct on 9.

We have our entire OOC slate — Colorado and SMU and Nichols — at home next year. So we’ll have 7 (possibly but unlikely 8) home games.

It’s leaked that TCU @ UH will be the Cougars’ first Big 12 game and it will be in week 3 (so we’ll start with CU, Nichols, @UH, SMU in September).

It’s our typical year to get UT and Baylor at AGCS. I’ll be disappointed if that doesn’t happen. Otherwise I don’t really care who we get or where we get them.
Texas at AGCS is almost certain.

Planks

They would say 'no' to that. They aren't going to be insulted any more than we would have agreed to those terms with Baylor when we were in the MWC. People have too-short memories. SMU should be treated with the dignity that the history of our programs' rivalry merits, regardless of what you think of SMU football today. This is among the reasons for which I hope they get an invite to the Pac 12: maybe that change of status will vicariously imbue the series with enough dignity to convince whoever needs convincing that we should continue to play it every year.

It's college football; you play your rivals. All of the programs who don't want to play their rivals anymore are the problem.

SMU to the Pac12 would be the most unearned unwarranted conference elevation ever. Hopefully they don’t get invited, TCU drops them from the schedule, and SMU’s athletics fade into irrelevance.

TCU has bigger fish to fry than SMU. TCU-SMU is currently the ONLY annual P5-G5 rivalry in the entire country. It’s time for that to end. SMU does not deserve an annual rivalry with TCU.

Last edited:

westoverhillbilly

SMU's gameday management this past September disqualified them from hosting us again in my opinion. Running out of water when it was 100+ degrees in the stands in addition to 50+ minute lines for concessions proved to show exceedingly rinky dink facilities management. They were prepared for their typical sub 5,000 actual attendance (when this game was a near sellout). They staffed and stocked their concessions accordingly which was downright dangerous in that my wife (we're mid 60s and in good physical condition) became very dehydrated, not to mention hungry. It was quite obvious SMU's priorities lie elsewhere than football.

Even prior to that game, our contact in the TCU Athletic Department told us that our days of playing in Dallas are behind us. He mentioned that we may force SMU to host us at Jerryworld (admittedly far from optimal) as it has become more friendly to hosting this game. Of course, we would host our part of the series at the Carter. I hated it when Baylor offered TCU a series either only played in Waco or a 2 Waco/1 Fort Worth (I can't remember) in 1995 when Ann Richards and/or Bob Bullock saved their arses with political strength, but SMU threw their host card away this past September.