• The KillerFrogs

Big 12 2023

westoverhillbilly

You know there’s no way SMU agrees to this, right?
They indeed may not, but they might agree to a series of one at the Carter then one at Jerryworld until they get their stuff together hosting a larger than usual crowd at Ford. I know this sounds arrogant, but they need this game more than we do, akin to us needing those series against Tech, Texas and Baylor in the 2004-2011 era when we were in the G5.

TCUdirtbag

They indeed may not, but they might agree to a series of one at the Carter then one at Jerryworld until they get their stuff together hosting a larger than usual crowd at Ford. I know this sounds arrogant, but they need this game more than we do, akin to us needing those series against Tech, Texas and Baylor in the 2004-2011 era when we were in the G5.
Putting that matchup in AT&T Stadium is even more laughable than the “have SMU come to AGCS every other year and never go to Dallas.”

Who do you think is going to pay for that? Jerry isn’t opening it up for free, ESPN isn’t going to cover the cost, and TCU nor SMU are going to rent that for 10,000 people to watch - because ain’t nobody dropping $150 per ticket for SMU in a 3/4 empty pro stadium.

McFroggin

Drop SMU

Their stadium is absolute [ Finebaum ]. If you don’t live in DFW, it isn’t a game worth driving in for.

With the new playoff system upcoming, winning the conference gets you in. Why not play home and homes with interesting teams or locations? I’d enjoy a trip to Nashville even if against Vanderbilt. Playing at Ole Miss or at UNC would be fun.

I’m still upset that we gave up the LSU series for Jerry World. I was looking forward to that trip.

Brog

I seem to remember us dominating the MWC, let me know when SMU is anything other than mediocre in the AAC. They do not deserve an annual rivalry with a P5 program.

And as good as we were as a non-power conference program NOBODY from a power conference was stepping up to have an annual rivalry with us. Before the breakup of the SWC, the TCU-Baylor rivalry was the third longest running rivalry in the entire country. And guess what? They dropped us. If Baylor can drop us as AN annual rival, we can drop SMU. They have done NOTHING to deserve an annual home and home series. Let them win the AAC multiple years in a row and we can re-discuss.
Are you actually saying that we can decide what's right or wrong, good or bad, etc, by looking to what Baylor has done? Can't believe it.

Brog

Big difference between a home and home - done and an annual series that includes a September day game in Dallas.

sMU brings Tcu nothing, costs us a bi-annual home game, and is a lose/lose result.

Tcu has played sMU. The thrill is gone.
The thrill may be gone for you, along with a few other important things, but it hasn't for me. Has actually put more joy in my heart beating SMU than even bU or TU. Sorry you've outlived the thrill, but for those of us who still have it, it's great fun. Maybe I'm still influenced by the Amon G. Carter rivalry with dallas. (No Big D).

Last edited:

froginmn

I'm not sure what you replace that game with. You can try to replace with a P5 home and home but that's distant travel that most won't do.

I think Houston will give us the bye week that most are afraid we've lost due to SMU scheduling.

TCUWIN

If TCU wants to be a program that considers itself worthy of competing for national championships , which is where we are now, then programs like SMU need to prove themselves before getting an annual home and home.

Again, the TCU-SMU rivalry is the ONLY P5-G5 annual rivalry in the entire country. They don’t deserve it.

West Virginia doesn’t play Marshall. Do you know why? They don’t deserve it. They haven’t earned it.
Colorado-Colorado State? But that might be the only other one.

Did you enjoy yourself at Ford Stadium in Dallas this year?

Did you even go?

Did you stay all the way through the game in that miserable George Foreman Grill that they call their stadium?
So you’d rather play Rice? UTEP? Tarelton-scheissing-State?? You’ll note that SMU was a stronger opponent than any of Michigan’s OOC opponents.
SMU is not only a good game for us, but one of the best OOC games we can get due to distance, opponent strength, tradition and convenience.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
So you’d rather play Rice? UTEP? Tarelton-scheissing-State?? You’ll note that SMU was a stronger opponent than any of Michigan’s OOC opponents.
SMU is not only a good game for us, but one of the best OOC games we can get due to distance, opponent strength, tradition and convenience.
Hey now, Rice went to a Bowl! A by-Ghod Bowl!

It really doesn't matter. SEC schedules body-bag games and nobody in SportsMedia says a word. Putting the Frogs in AGCS for 7 games would be superb. No FCS teams, though...

Endless Purple

This thread has become a clear guide as to what is wrong with COLLEGE football. For those going just on money (ie. dump SMU) - NFL forums are three clicks to the left. It is really sad that so few of these fans remember where TCU was and the effort made to grow now to be just football snobs.

The people advocating to dump SMU due to money or stadium size (FYI, we don't get their gate, so who cares what size their stadium is) are why college football is going to garbage and becoming money ball. By pushing that agenda, it encourages it to go further rather than efforts made to protect the few100 year rivalries and traditions that are left.. FYI, just saying that it is happening anyway is a cop out thus furthering the money agenda - it happens when people don't speak out and continue to spout garbage like dump SMU and tradition so we can play only for more money. I know many people that have already or are on the verge of dropping college football. I hope the money people are willing to pick up the slack.

What happens when teams like LSU, Ohio St, Michigan, USC, Texas, even Texas Tech start to claim that a 45,000 seat stadium isn't worth their time to play in since it is "so small"?

This thread has become a clear guide as to what is wrong with COLLEGE football. For those going just on money (ie. dump SMU) - NFL forums are three clicks to the left. It is really sad that so few of these fans remember where TCU was and the effort made to grow now to be just football snobs.

The people advocating to dump SMU due to money or stadium size (FYI, we don't get their gate, so who cares what size their stadium is) are why college football is going to garbage and becoming money ball. By pushing that agenda, it encourages it to go further rather than efforts made to protect the few100 year rivalries and traditions that are left.. FYI, just saying that it is happening anyway is a cop out thus furthering the money agenda - it happens when people don't speak out and continue to spout garbage like dump SMU and tradition so we can play only for more money. I know many people that have already or are on the verge of dropping college football. I hope the money people are willing to pick up the slack.

What happens when teams like LSU, Ohio St, Michigan, USC, Texas, even Texas Tech start to claim that a 45,000 seat stadium isn't worth their time to play in since it is "so small"?
Exactly. There’s a reason the Army-Navy game is featured at the end of the year and has great ratings

Planks

The problem with SMU is the “opponent strength” part. The strength of your opponent means nothing, the only thing that matters is the perception of your opponent strength. And from a national perception standpoint, SMU is the same as UTEP, Rice, etc. The perception is that they are just another random G5 school that should be an easy game for a P5 program the caliber of TCU.

The issue is that SMU is in fact a really tough game, they treat us as their Super Bowl every year. Yet we get no credit for winning a tough game. It’s the worst case scenario. You have to win a tough game but you get no credit for winning a tough game.

A win over SMU is never going to be the thing that convinces the committee to put us in the playoff as a wildcard, but a loss to SMU very much could be the thing that convinces the committee to leave us out.

Our OOC schedule should consist of two types of opponents:

A) Easy games that pad our win column (Colorado, Tarletan State, etc.)
Or
B) Stretch games that improve our national perception and would be an undeniable marque win (or “quality loss”) in the eyes of the committee (LSU, Ohio State, Clemson, etc.)

SMU fits into neither of those categories.

Last edited:

One Frog Nation

I just want 7 home games each year with 8 every few years. Like the big boys do.