• The KillerFrogs

Big 12 2020-21 Basketball Thread

Wexahu

as we enter the final stretch of big 12 play the only real question is will baylor play again before the ncaa tournament. supposedly baylor is scheduled to play isu, wvu, and at kansas which would be two very interesting games to finish the regular season for the bears

here are the standings, season record, and record against ap ranked teams

baylor 9-0 (17-0) (4-0)
ou 9-4 (14-5) (5-4)
ku 11-5 (17-7) (6-5)
wvu 8-4 (15-6) (5-4)
tex 7-5 (13-6) (3-5)
ok st 7-6 (14-6) (3-3)
tech 6-6 (14-7) (2-6)
tcu 4-7 (11-9) (0-5)
ksu 2-13 (6-18) (0-10)
isu 0-13 (2-16) (0-8)

baylor is easily the best team in the conference and i do think playing kansas and wvu would benefit them prepare for the tournament

ou is second by a few hundredths over kansas and how big are the two ok state losses to tcu coming into this last week.

tex, ok state, and tech all may finish the season at .500 in conference play when has to be a bit frustrating to ok state and disappointing to texas and tech.

the game among the bottom trio this week is tcu at isu as the cyclones try to win a conference game this year

The game postponement gods have been very good to us. Baylor, Tech x2, WVU and Texas. I'm thinking that's 0-5 right there, and probably 1-4 at best. Tech, on the other hand missed Baylor but also ISU and TCU x2.

Baylor is no doubt the best but scheduling quirks as much as anything might decide where the next 5-6 teams stand.

Eight

somehow, someway, the big 12 has reached the final week of play and things could get interesting with most of the teams playing 3 games this week.

i said most because kansas is actually done with their big 12 regular season play giving baylor the bears first loss of the season on saturday. the jayhawks do have a game with utep schedule this week and based upon the way this season has gone it wouldn't be a complete shock if kansas shot 24% in that game and somehow lost to the miners.

here are the conference standings going into the last week of the season

baylor 10-1 (0.909) 18-1
west virginia 10-4 (0.714) 17-6
kansas 12-6 (0.667) 18-8
oklahoma state 9-6 (0.600) 16-6
oklahoma 9-6 (0.600) 14-7
texas 8-6 (0.571) 14-7
texas tech 7-7 (0.500) 15-8
tcu 5-8 (0.385) 12-10
kansas st 3-14 (0.176) 7-19
iowa st 0-15 (0.000) 2-18

i posted the in-conference winning percentages because they could be very important is setting the conference standings and it is mathematically possible if baylor loses enough games and west virginia loses enough games that wvu could end up the conference champ though i don't see that as probable

tcu is going to face a tough week and the challenge will be to avoid three losses which would put them in position to finish the season with a losing record for the first time under dixon and it would be the first losing season in dixon's career as a head coach

here are the scheduled games for this week

baylor - @wvu, ok state, and tech. those 3 are not a cake walk for the bears
wvu - baylor, tcu, ok state,. if they win the first of three games at home a sweep is very possible
kansas - utep
ok state - ou, @ baylor, @ wvu. that is another tough 3 game week
ou - @ ok state, texas.
texas - @isu, @ ou, @ tcu. will the horns get things worked out this week or do they implode. very possible they drop one of the isu / tcu games
tech - tcu, iowa state, @ baylor
tcu - @ tech, @ wvu, texas. think the first time offer the best chances for a win
kstate - @ iowa state
iowa state - texas, @ tech, @ kansas state. can they pull off the perfect conference season?

Atomic Frawg

Of our three remaining games - @ Tech, @WVU, and home against Austin - if there was an upset in the making, which game do you think it would be? Me thinks we can beat Austin at the DMC, but don't ask me why other than my big toe twitched.

Last edited:

Pharm Frog

Of our three remaining games - @ Tech, @WVU, and home against Austin - if there was an upaet in the making, which game do you think it would be? Me thinks we can beat Austin at the DMC, but don't ask me why other than my big toe twitched.

Any of those could be an upset and all could be 30 point losses. I’ll go with an upset at Tech only because I just got back from the South Plains and that trip always reminds me of how much I dislike Tech.

Eight

Of our three remaining games - @ Tech, @WVU, and home against Austin - if there was an upset in the making, which game do you think it would be? Me thinks we can beat Austin at the DMC, but don't ask me why other than my big toe twitched.

agree with pharm that any of the three could be a win if the opponent has a bad shooting night which all three have shown that is possible

tech to me is the weakest of the three and as someone posted on this site mcclung at times makes rj look like jason kidd, but they are very good defensively and i don't see tcu attacking their biggest weakness which is lack of size inside

wvu from time to time has a clunker on the offensive end, but they also are the team out the three with the most to play for if they beat baylor

texas to me is the one because they are prone to bad shooting games and have shown the tendency to ignore their big men where they do have an advantage

Last edited:

Eight

ok state completes the back-to-back sweep of ou 79-75. next up is baylor on the 4th which could be a very interesting game if wvu can beat baylor tonight

ou looked to be in position to finish second a few weeks back, but now have dropped 3 in a row and will finish mid-tier in the conference

Eight

with baylor winning the regular season title the conference is now preparing for the all important conference tournament which will announce one big question

will this be dixon's first losing season as a head coach? here is the schedule for the tournament:

image.png.46e37601a96f43f9039c9e216e11983b.png

don't have dates, times, and in all honesty have no interest in what network or social media app will be carrying the tournament

what will be interesting is who fills out the nit tournament bracket for a chance to stay in the "bubble" of a holiday inn in collin county and play games at frisco and University of North Texas.