• The KillerFrogs

Best 5 loss team in the country

LVH

I don't get the hostility toward the OP.

The Las Vegas power rankings from where I get my numbers from have us 27th.

In comparison in 2013 even though we went 4-8 we were 29th in the power rankings. And guess what happened the next year? This season is very similar to 2013. Best defense in the Big 12, but a lot of close losses because the offense cant make an extra play or two to turn the close losses into wins.

Definitely a year of bad luck. Like 2013, I still think we need to make changes on the offensive side of the ball, but according to the metrics we aren't that far away. Defense will return most starters next year and offensively I think a new staff can get the most out of Duggan and the offensive line.

But what do I know. Most people want a complete coaching change including getting rid of GP. You don't do that unless you are completely uncompetitive. I'm not talking about 3OT losses to an unbeaten team or losses by a TD on the road against Top 25 teams. I am talking about not being competitive across the board.

Why is it so hard to understand we want the top offense in college football, the best defense and special teams as well.

Not that expect that results however that we will try. This offense is not trying anything but our patience. Special teams are awful. Even our defense gives up critical scores at important times.

Should we lower our expectations?

froginmn

Why is it so hard to understand we want the top offense in college football, the best defense and special teams as well.

Should we lower our expectations?
Yes.

I think we should hope that next year, our QB with a year under his belt will help give us a good offense and paired with a great defense we'll be very good.

But best offense, best defense, and best special teams is what some expect, even though you say you aren't.

I think we've been spoiled by how good some of our teams have been.

Yes.

I think we should hope that next year, our QB with a year under his belt will help give us a good offense and paired with a great defense we'll be very good.

But best offense, best defense, and best special teams is what some expect, even though you say you aren't.

I think we've been spoiled by how good some of our teams have been.

Fair point I mean in terms of effort and system. We seem to try not to score not just slow the game down. No special teams coach enough said results speak for themselves. Our offensive system could not possibly finish in top 80 offensive categories.

Froggish

We all seem to be confused about where to place blame....Some place blame on the players, and others lay blame at the coaches...

Like most things in life, the truth lies somewhere in the middle. However if you look really hard at the state of this program, I think you’ll find more coaching breakdowns than player breakdowns.

McGregor's Goat

I don't know what other fans expect. I don't want to fire GP, but I am frustrated. The offense has been consistently bad post 2015. Recruiting has been good, the defense is still good, the talent is there to be, I don't know, better than 2018 and 2019 have been. And the problem, week after week, is that the offense is so much worse than it should be. It's just completely broken. TCU is 84th in yards per play right now, and basically where they were last year.

It seems like being a borderline top 50 offense, in the same league as such powerhouses like UL Monroe (48th) or Marshall (50th), or even a Houston team (42nd) that virtually cancelled its season would be a reasonable expectation for TCU's offense.

LVH

Best 5 loss team in the country?

We've now gone full aggie.

If you are using it to justify this season, absolutely

But for look ahead purposes, its not a bad thing. Bill Connelly and Phil Steele talk about this every year - that there are a lot of teams who have good metrics, but records that dont match up to it, and almost always those teams regress to the mean(in a good way) and have a much better year the season after.

Our metrics last year weren't great - we were in the 60s in most metrics like S&P, FEI, FPI. This year we are in the 20s/lower 30s.

Wexahu

If you are using it to justify this season, absolutely

But for look ahead purposes, its not a bad thing. Bill Connelly and Phil Steele talk about this every year - that there are a lot of teams who have good metrics, but records that dont match up to it, and almost always those teams regress to the mean(in a good way) and have a much better year the season after.

Our metrics last year weren't great - we were in the 60s in most metrics like S&P, FEI, FPI. This year we are in the 20s/lower 30s.

Fair enough, but I remember before this season that we were primed to have a good season this year based on this very thing. I hope you are right.

MinFrog

This wasn't trying to brag or say this season has been a success. Cause it hasn't. At all.

But really it was to put some context to our record. We have actually played well enough to be much better than our record, but if you play close games then sometimes you will have a worse record than your performance would suggest.

froginmn

I don't know what other fans expect. I don't want to fire GP, but I am frustrated. The offense has been consistently bad post 2015. Recruiting has been good
Recruiting has arguably been a huge part of the problem.

We signed our highest rated QB (to date) all time in 2017, and SR was a bust. The next year we signed our highest rated recruit all time, and JR didn't pan out.

So we pinned our QB hopes for two seasons on highly rated guys and neither worked out. That has us needing to start a true freshman who has done well but isn't truly ready. GP has felt that he needs to change the offense to cover for that, and it hasn't worked.

Among all of the problems we have, the failure at the QB position has hurt us deeply.

McGregor's Goat

Recruiting has arguably been a huge part of the problem.

We signed our highest rated QB (to date) all time in 2017, and SR was a bust. The next year we signed our highest rated recruit all time, and JR didn't pan out.

It's a good argument, and you might be right, but I think the failure of SR or JR to pan out only exacerbated the problem. We have had a ton of injuries and recruiting misses on defense. I think we started four freshmen against Baylor. Through all this, the defense has played well. Even in 2015, when we essentially played a 4-7 because we had zero linebackers, the defense was down but still above average. The defense is good because GP is a great defensive coach who does the most he can with what he has available. The offense does virtually the least it can with what it has available. I feel strongly that if you gave Mike Gundy TCU's exact offensive roster in 2018 or 2019, he would produce at least an above average offense.

Froggish

After the OU game will we get “best 6 loss team in the country” thread?...

They should totally put together a 6 Loss team playoff system..We will definitely be the top seed. Winner will get to hoist a trophy of an elephant tripping over his own D

Don Sanders

My goodness, I worry about having clean water, clean air and being safe, not being so dramatic on a chat site. It is only a sport, not a life changing endeavor.