• The KillerFrogs

#BAYLORTEARS

Here are some more tidbits from the article: (Crawford is Patty Crawford, Baylor's former Title IX coordinator)

"(Crawford) also found Baylor students naive when it came to sex and dating. Some who came from devoutly Christian backgrounds would come to college without ever having learned anything in the way of sex ed. Crawford was baffled. She remembers student groups coming to her in June 2016, after Pepper Hamilton’s report was released, and asking her to come talk to them about sex. She found herself addressing sororities with hundreds of members, going “very 101” on topics they seemed desperate to learn. Crawford would explain the concept of sexual relationships to them in basic terms, explaining to large groups of young women that they had the right to choose whether to have sex with their partners. It helped explain a pattern that she found: Female students trusted their environment so much that they started putting themselves in difficult situations.

“I would work with students who would say, ‘He was my best friend,’ and I would ask how long they’ve known each other. ‘Well, a week,’” Crawford recalls. “‘He was the first person I met at Baylor, and I trusted him to get me home after going to my first party. I only had one drink, but I can’t remember everything.’”

She found that students would stay overnight at off-campus parties because they were concerned about Baylor police going through residence halls on weekend nights looking for tipsy students and taking them back to the police station. “They were so scared to go back to their own homes that they were staying in these houses where they don’t know people, they’re intoxicated—possibly incapacitated—and they’re being assaulted,” Crawford says.

Crawford saw that Baylor norms put women there at unique risk. “It was a culture of targeting,” Crawford says. “Predators could target freshman women for all of these reasons. They could target them and say, ‘Hey, you can trust me.’ I had a pattern case where it was a practice of this predator to become friends with women, tell them he doesn’t drink, that he’s a good Christian guy. He’d go to church with them and say, ‘Here’s my number, call me if you need a ride home from a party,’ and he was taking women home from parties,” where, she says, multiple women told her that he sexually assaulted them.

But the whole time Baylor was winning games, building stadiums, and basking in on-field glory, its coaches were managing a series of incidents they were desperate to keep from dominating the news. Briles’ players were frequently in trouble, and internal communications from the coach to his staff show they worked hard to ensure that their players’ names didn’t end up in front of the university’s judicial affairs department or cross Patty Crawford’s desk.

When reports reached their own desks, meanwhile, the coaching staff sometimes appeared to lack urgency. According to a lawsuit against the university, after a female Baylor athlete reported that she’d been raped by “at least four, and, according to some reports, as many as eight” Baylor football players in 2012, she told her own coach the names of the players who sexually assaulted her. The coach took that list to Briles, whose responded by questioning why the woman was around those players, then advising the coach to tell the woman to call police.

Being at Baylor was an ideal set-up for what Briles was building: He was in a quiet town where stories like Ukwuachu could somehow end up buried; his university’s Christian reputation gave him the chance to present his decision to present his recruits as a righteous quest for redemption; the atmosphere at Baylor led the young, Christian women to stay quiet if they found themselves becoming victims. He was able, for years, to keep what was happening under the surface contained. His players could be accused of beating their girlfriends, and the girlfriends would leave town. His players could be accused of gang-rapes of female Baylor students, and he’d be permitted to question why they were around the players he brought to their campus.

And accounts of the women who came to Baylor because it felt safe say Briles’ staff used them to market the program to prospective players. A lawsuit filed by a former Baylor student claimed that Kendal Briles—Art Briles’ son, and his offensive coordinator—asked a prospective recruit, “Do you like white women? Because we have a lot of them at Baylor, and they love football players.”

Crawford says she talked to dozens of women who reported being raped at Baylor. Women at Baylor reported being raped by athletes, by fraternity members, by journalism students and engineers. But one thing stood out to Crawford when she investigated the cases involving football players. “The athletic ones were violent,” she says. “Consistently violent. I had violent cases that were non-athletes, but there were some consistent things: specifically, gang rape. The majority of the gang rape allegations that were made to me were related to athletics—specifically, football. There was a consistent thing of being part of a team or a brotherhood.”

Purp

I don't get the inaction by the NCAA. Baylor is hardly a blue blood by any stretch. Maybe the best line from the article was "The [stadium] serves to announce the home of the Baylor Bears, Robert Griffin III, the Heisman Trophy, and a football legacy stretching back to, well, RG3 and the Heisman Trophy." With such a dubious football history what is the incentive for the NCAA to protect Baylor from its wrath? This seems tailor made to me for a Boise State type of punishment from the NCAA. Small, private school with no entrenched history and a large enough national following that it could make a compelling case the NCAA still has teeth in the punishments it metes out. It wouldn't be compelling to me, but it might seem to to an organization that feels it needs to show force semi-regularly to sustain its sense of purpose.

I can't imagine the conference would feel compelled to provide top cover for Baylor either for all of the same reasons. There's clearly something I don't understand here, but I doubt it's something that wouldn't make me cringe at how corrupt it was were I to know.

MTfrog5

I don't get the inaction by the NCAA. Baylor is hardly a blue blood by any stretch. Maybe the best line from the article was "The [stadium] serves to announce the home of the Baylor Bears, Robert Griffin III, the Heisman Trophy, and a football legacy stretching back to, well, RG3 and the Heisman Trophy." With such a dubious football history what is the incentive for the NCAA to protect Baylor from its wrath? This seems tailor made to me for a Boise State type of punishment from the NCAA. Small, private school with no entrenched history and a large enough national following that it could make a compelling case the NCAA still has teeth in the punishments it metes out. It wouldn't be compelling to me, but it might seem to to an organization that feels it needs to show force semi-regularly to sustain its sense of purpose.

I can't imagine the conference would feel compelled to provide top cover for Baylor either for all of the same reasons. There's clearly something I don't understand here, but I doubt it's something that wouldn't make me cringe at how corrupt it was were I to know.
Penn State is scaring the NCAA from doing anything imo even though they don’t have anything in common

Mean Purple

Figured this might be a good time to recap some Briles history from one of our posters. I'll leave his name off, in case he doesn't want it back out there, although it went a little viral a few years ago:

1) 1990. My first taste of Briles was my senior year in high school playing against his Stephenville team. They were the dirtiest, cheapest, thuggish team I've ever played against. Talked the foulest trash at us during pre-game and never stopped. Lots of scratching, clawing, kicking, twisting ankles while on the ground, too. Like playing against 11 Ahmad Dixons. So sitting at ACS last Saturday brought back a lot of memories.

2) 1994. Just out of college and started my first coaching gig as an assistant at a 4A high school. We open the season at Stephenville. We get to the field house and their is no AC in the visitor locker room. This is the last Friday in August so it's scorching hot and very humid. Briles tells us the field house is undergoing some repair work and the AC unit is off line. Of course, the AC works just fine in his locker room though. At halftime, our starting QB gets an IV as well as another player, but those are the only two we can accomodate. Three of our players had to be taken to a local hospital for severe dehydration and overheating, largely due to the conditions in our locker room. Afterwards, we were told by Tarleton State staff that there were no repairs being done to the field house and that Briles has simply turned off the breaker that controlled the AC for the visitor locker room. Needless to say, Briles couldn't care less about the safety of his opponent's players.

3) 1995. Re-match. Starting the season against Stephenville again. We trade film from each other's two August scrimmages. When we put in the tape of their scrimmages, the first series of the first team offense is missing from both scrimmages. Therefore, we have no idea what their first team offense ran or what personnel they used. When we asked about the missing plays, Briles told us they had trouble getting the videocamera to work.

On Thursday I was helping coach the JV. We're winning. Briles is in attendance and gets pissed off that his JV is gettign beat. He takes over the playcalling from his JV coaches and coaches the JV himself in the second half. We still win and Briles refused to talk to us afterwards.

4) Fast forward to 2000. I'm going to law school part time and now work in the TCU Compliance Office. The phone rings one day and Texas Tech has lodged a complaint with the NCAA alleging that we provided an impermissible recruiting inducement to a prospect that signed with us by providing the athlete's father a job. The kid is playing during that season, so we pull him off the field. Kid and coaching staff are pissed and stressed (making a run at the BCS and don't want to have to forfiet games for playing an ineligible player). We investigated and turned out TCU hired the kid's uncle - as a custodian. Neither HR nor the kid was aware of it at the time. Guess who made the allegation and accused TCU of cheating? Texas Tech's new RB coach - Art Briles.

5) 2003. I'm now the Director of Compliance at a DI school in Colorado. Briles is now the head coach at Houston. A player on his team is from Colorado and wants to transfer to be closer to his family. His older brother is a special needs kid with some medical issues, and his mother is an invalid who is having trouble taking care of him. We request a waiver from the NCAA to allow the kid to transfer and be immediately eligible to hlep take care of his family. In that process we asked UH to support our waiver. They refused. When I asked the UH Compliance office why they wouldn't give their support, I was told, "Briles said no."

There have been other stuff off and on over the years, including Briles' penchant for making phone calls and contacts with prospects over the NCAA limit and confirmation from one source that Briles looked the other way when his Stephenville players were juicing.

He's a first-rate d-bag who disguises himself as a simple good-ol' country boy who'd give the shirt off his back to you. He would, but with the other hand he'd slice open your spleen. I've always marvelled at his football acumen - he's a true innovator when it comes to Xs and Os. But the guy is absolutely consumed with winning at all costs and simply cannot and should not ever be trusted.

So it is confirmed. Briles is a total piece of [ Finebaum ]. And the people who wanted to keep him at baylor and cover up all the horrible crimes are the same. BURN. IT. DOWN!

tcumaniac

Wait for it...27 seconds in.

source.gif

Frog-in-law1995

Also, I have no doubt that you found this by accident searching for something in which you're genuinely very interested. I thank you for this and am a little embarrassed for you at the same time.

It popped up as an ad on FB for Emarites Airline (I’ve been researching flights to Italy and Greece). I searched Youtube for the version I posted.