• The KillerFrogs

Baylor boycotts him, so we need to support him

Brog

The hell is rat cheese?

When I grew up in East Texas, "rat cheese" was the basic, go-to cheese for everything, sandwiches, macNcheese, etc. It was/is a very firm yellow/orange colored cheddar, real tasty, stringy in MacNcheese. I guess other cheeses were available, but why get them? It was probably called "rat cheese" because it was used in the many rat traps that were needed in those days.

Frog-in-law1995

Maybe the word comes from the Caribbean, but the process is European.

"European meat-smoking traditions were brought by German and Czech settlers in Central Texas during the mid-19th century. The original tradition was that butchers would smoke leftover meat that had not been sold so that it could be stored and saved. As these smoked leftovers became popular among the migrants in the area, many of these former meat markets evolved to specialize in smoked meats. Many butcher shops also evolved into well-known barbecue establishments.

Central Texas pit-style barbecue was established in the 19th century along the Chisolm Trail in the towns of Lockhart, Luling, and Taylor. The German and other European immigrants owned meat packing plants opened retail meat markets serving cooked meats wrapped in red butcher's paper-- this tradition continues to this day in many central Texas towns. Also, this barbecue style's popularity has spread considerably around the world, especially to Southern California, New York City, and in Britain and Australia."

Australia - right, Wes?

Caribbean natives were smoking meats several hundred years before this. The process and name are caribbean. Perhaps Germans first brought it to Texas, but neither the name nor process originated in Europe.

https://books.google.com/books?id=tXbo9H6t1TcC&pg=PA69&lpg=PA69&dq=barbecue+Haiti+barbacoa+Columbus&source=bl&ots=qR6RUhoxAs&sig=Y0jbdEgKFSGKkcohj-uQhZJgzr8&hl=en&sa=X&ei=9ntfVdHjJciCyQT-6YHAAQ&ved=0CCAQ6AEwAjgU#v=onepage&q=barbecue Haiti barbacoa Columbus&f=false

hindry

I have lived in California, Connecticut, Illinois, Oklahoma. Louisiana and Indiana new have been in most states. KC and the Carolinas brag about their BBQ, but they tend to get insulted when I say there is only one pure style and that is Texas BBQ. None of this vinegar based sauce they have in the Carolinas that uses only pork. Don't even get me started on chili with spaghetti in it..
great pulled pork. get a hertiage hog, smoke 198 hours on alder and persimmion. tear apart. place in bowl. cover in sauce. strain.
drink the sauce. use the meat for catfish bait.

RollToad

Baylor is Trash.
great pulled pork. get a hertiage hog, smoke 198 hours on alder and persimmion. tear apart. place in bowl. cover in sauce. strain.
drink the sauce. use the meat for catfish bait.
6a22ec1372350bb64757502d070d8492--never-not-funny-funny-things.jpg

hindry

back in the big 80's i was, for a brief time, the Pitmaster at Redbone's , Davis Square, People's Republic of Cambridge, MA
got my picture in paper. The owner came back from vacation and that was that.

QuilterFrawg

CDR USN (Ret)
Caribbean natives were smoking meats several hundred years before this. The process and name are caribbean. Perhaps Germans first brought it to Texas, but neither the name nor process originated in Europe.

https://books.google.com/books?id=tXbo9H6t1TcC&pg=PA69&lpg=PA69&dq=barbecue+Haiti+barbacoa+Columbus&source=bl&ots=qR6RUhoxAs&sig=Y0jbdEgKFSGKkcohj-uQhZJgzr8&hl=en&sa=X&ei=9ntfVdHjJciCyQT-6YHAAQ&ved=0CCAQ6AEwAjgU#v=onepage&q=barbecue Haiti barbacoa Columbus&f=false

I stand by what I posted.

BABYFACE

If you go to Risky's, the original location in Northside is the only way to go. Their brisket is prime just like Heim.

I had a brisket sandwich for lunch at Angelos about a month ago and the brisket was fantastic. It was like they turned back the clock 30 years when Angelos reigned supreme in the FTW area. I need to go back make sure that wasn't a fluke.

Billy's Oak Acres is pretty darned good for brisket and ribs.

Heim is very good but about 25-30 percent higher than other area BBQ. It is a cool setup and it easy to see his rent is higher than his BBQ competition. Thus, a bit more cost to eat there.

ShadowFrog

Moderators
Last time I went to Angelos they took one look at my haircut & hat and gave me the military special instead of the regular brisket sandwich. I'd swear that was almost a double serving, all juicy, tender & smokey. The other draw for me on Angelos is afterwards I drive around behind it 3 blocks & walk off some of the barbecue snooze by wandering thru Omahas Military Surplus. That place literally smells military as soon as you walk in. Try it.

Frog-in-law1995

Last time I went to Angelos they took one look at my haircut & hat and gave me the military special instead of the regular brisket sandwich. I'd swear that was almost a double serving, all juicy, tender & smokey. The other draw for me on Angelos is afterwards I drive around behind it 3 blocks & walk off some of the barbecue snooze by wandering thru Omahas Military Surplus. That place literally smells military as soon as you walk in. Try it.

Sounds like if you want the good food at Angelos, you need to stop by Omaha's Military Surplus first.

ShadowFrog

Moderators
Sounds like if you want the good food at Angelos, you need to stop by Omaha's Military Surplus first.
Not necessarily, tho could work.
I do recall when I hung up my hat as KuwaitFrog and returned home I went there soon after, mentioned in line @ counter I'd really missed that place because of 1 year in am pretty sure I got the extra helping then too. That schooner of beer on tap sure was cold. Thank YOU very much.

tcumaniac

Heim is great.

Travis and Emma are two of the nicest people you'll ever meet it your life. And they love the frogs.

I've been eating at Heim since the food trailer days. Brisket isn't as stupid good as it used to be when you ordered from the food truck and Travis Heim cut you fresh brisket right there in front of you, but it's still the best in Fort Worth if you get a good cut.

That's really my only "beef" with them. I like places where I can watch them cut and weigh my brisket right in front of me, and I'm not afraid to ask for a different cut if they're cutting from a brisket that's been sitting out for a while or looks a little dried out.

I'm not a sandwich guy. I enjoy my brisket without any distractions, so I can savor and appreciate the quality of the meat. I'll usually order half a pound with a side of bacon burnt ends. If you order a meat plate that comes with sides, I feel like you get skimped on the amount of meat.

My perfect brisket is moist and fatty, with some nice flavored bark that all melts in your mouth. When Heim is on, they're hard to beat. But since each order is now prepared back in the kitchen, I feel like there have been a few times where the quality and portion size has left me a little disappointed. When the meat is being cut in front of you, there's a little more accountability. The line probably won't move as fast, but I really hope they go back to this concept in the new restaurant in the River district.

Latest posts