• The KillerFrogs

Baylor boycotts him, so we need to support him

wes

KIllerfrog Emeritus
If you haven't been to Heim's BBQ, you are missing out. They made the Texas Monthly Top 50 and deservedly so.

However, because Travis Heim "dared" to speak out about the Baylor fiasco, one of their fans decided to boycott the restaurant and called for others to do the same, in a Tweet.

Heim, in a fantastic response, turned it into a PR coup by saying by asking those who dined at his place to help make up for lost business, due to the boycott, to donate $20.00 to a local women charity.

Attaboy Travis Heim!! This guy thinks on his feet and has the Frog Factor.

Here is a link to the article and I urge you to donate to charity as well as chow down on some great BBQ.

http://www.star-telegram.com/entertainment/restaurants/bbq/article161293113.html

wes

KIllerfrog Emeritus
Will need to try next time I am in Dallas. Disappointed so far in the BBQ in Dallas compared to CenTex and Houston.
Lockhart BBQ and Pecan Lodge are pretty decent Dallas places. Oddly enough the best BBQ that I found in Houston was at Rudy's but I may not have been looking in the right places.

CenTex is full of great places. Louie Muellers in Taylor, Millers in Belton, Terry Blacks in Austin, Paynes BBQ Shak in Burnet and of course the legacy places in Lockhart are off the charts good.

Sad to say it but they make places like Angelos, Railhead and Cousins look amateurish

Creeperfrog

Lockhart BBQ and Pecan Lodge are pretty decent Dallas places. Oddly enough the best BBQ that I found in Houston was at Rudy's but I may not have been looking in the right places.

CenTex is full of great places. Louie Muellers in Taylor, Millers in Belton, Terry Blacks in Austin, Paynes BBQ Shak in Burnet and of course the legacy places in Lockhart are off the charts good.

Sad to say it but they make places like Angelos, Railhead and Cousins look amateurish

Houston --- Go to Pit Room

YA

Anyone see that Stubbs in Austin has to change their name? What a shame that he lost out to the sauce guys on the name. Should have hired better lawyers on his end to protect the name.

wes

KIllerfrog Emeritus
The Dallas comment is a poor effort to make fun of the fact that the national media has a tendency to use Dallas the location for TCU in their stories.

Have eaten at Pecan Lodge and it was solid, not eaten at Lockhart and I am going to ask the obvious question if it is tied to one of the three in the Holy Trinity of BBQ. Hard Eight is the one I was really disappointed it the two times I have eaten there. In Houston Killian's gets a bunch of hype and it is good, but not worth the wait to me. One thing he does really well being a French trained chef is the sauces he pairs with each type of meat is by far best in the city. Still not worth the wait. Best to me in Houston is Corkscrew in Old Towne Spring. The fatty brisket is outstanding. Almost as good as the brisket we got off the pit in Llano. Angelo's to me falls into the same category as Joe T's or the Tex-Mex place in Austin. An old standard that really isn't as good as it is familiar.

Its my understanding that Lockhart BBQ is in some way related to the guys in Lockhart. Not sure whether its Smittys, Kreutz or Blacks but he is apparently related to one of them.

I thought Hard Eight was decent, not great, but decent. Definitely Pecan Lodge stands out above the rest of Dallas.

Another good one is BBQ on the Brazos in Creson. Its really good.

I agree with your comment about Angelos. There were three of us who ate there in the 90's and all 3 of us got sick and I mean toilet hugging sick. Haven't been back since then

wes

KIllerfrog Emeritus
Hopefully that wasn't three of you hugging the same bowl.

I know one of the families opened a restaurant in College Station, but haven't eaten there.
Not the same bowl, thank god. But when I pulled into the driveway at my house, I made a mad dash for the bathroom and stayed there for a while.

I'll never eat at Angelos again

Brog

Are we permitted to disagree with Wes? Angelo's looks amateurish? Cousins? Someone has been spending too much time in the office.

YA

Sickest I ever got off BBQ was in college at TCU and we went and ate at some place BBQ place with all you can eat ribs. Greasiest damn things I have ever eaten and they wreaked havoc of my digestive system the next day.
Was that the KC BBQ place on Berry? Nasty place

Latest posts