• The KillerFrogs

Baylor boycotts him, so we need to support him

froginaustin

Anybody here try Salt Lick in Driftwood, TX.? Saw something on TV about it a few months ago. Been around for 50 years in the hill country SW of Austin and is very popular. The wait is often for hours to get in. They go through over a million pounds of brisket a year.

A new 10.000 sq ft place is to open in Grapevine in late 2018. A couple of little shops in the airport, but not all that good from what I have read. Hopefully this new Grapevine one will be as good as the ones by Austin and will make the drive unnecessary.

Salt Lick was state of the art for Austin - CenTex BBQ in 1975. There are a whole lot of better places in Austin these days. The Brown's trailer on S. Lamar, and Mickelwaith's (sp?) are top drawer and under appreciated.

froginaustin

Limited sampling (Railhead, Cousins in FW) but Terry Blacks in Austin is still the brisket standard that I judge others against. Heim is definitely on my list for next time.

Terry Black's brisket is too "wet" (greasy) for my taste. Brown's trailer, down S. Lamar, is as good as it gets. Although Brown's sides are lousy. Stick with the meat only. Brown 'S is, however, in the parking lot of a damn decent dive bar, where all appropriate beverages are cheerfully served.

Frogcrates

Okay just catching up so...

Lived in Austin and went to all the spots. Great BBQ but the best is out away from town (it's starting to get a little overhyped, but they know how to cook a tender brisket). There are subtle differences that I've picked up on between Austin/ CenTex BBQ and Fort Worth BBQ (the rubs here in Fort Worth have a bit more spice to them which I like). Heim brings together a beautiful marriage of both worlds that is unmatched and holds great promise for the future of BBQ in Fort Worth. Which is great because Angelos is well past it's prime. Railhead is solid but not elite (great cobbler btw).

Salt Lick is Austin's Joe T's. When you're really being honest with yourself the food is good but not fantastic, but after waiting around drinking for an hour or two you don't really notice at the time.

Let's see... what else? Oh yeah, screw Baylor and their rape defending cult scum.

Screw Dallas too...

Heim's bacon burnt ends are a gift from the gods.

Kangaroo is yummy.

And go to Heim on Sunday between 2:00-3:00pm (you're welcome).

Last edited:

Frog-in-law1995

Black's brisket is too "wet" (greasy) for my taste. Brown's trailer, down S. Lamar, is as good as it gets. Although Brown's sides are lousy. Stick with the meat only. Brown 'S is, however, in the parking lot of a damn decent dive bar, where all appropriate beverages are cheerfully served.

Not sure if these are barbecue owners, Dr. Suess characters, Clue suspects, or Reservoir Dogs. But I am glad I figured out they were last names.

wes

KIllerfrog Emeritus
Okay just catching up so...

Lived in Austin and went to all the spots. Great BBQ but the best is out away from town (it's starting to get a little overhyped, but they know how to cook a tender brisket). There are subtle differences that I've picked up on between Austin/ CenTex BBQ and Fort Worth BBQ (the rubs here in Fort Worth have a bit more spice to them which I like). Heim brings together a beautiful marriage of both worlds that is unmatched and holds great promise for the future of BBQ in Fort Worth. Which is great because Angelos is well past it's prime. Railhead is solid but not elite (great cobbler btw).

Salt Lick is Austin's Joe T's. When you're really being honest with yourself the food is good but not fantastic, but after waiting around drinking for an hour or two you don't really notice at the time.

Let's see... what else? Oh yeah, screw Baylor and their rape defending cult scum.

Screw Dallas too...

Heim's bacon burnt ends are a gift from the gods.

Kangaroo is yummy.

And go to Heim on Sunday between 2:00-3:00pm (your welcome).
The rub difference is interesting and you're right about more spice in Fort Worth. It seems like the Cen-Tex group keeps it pretty simple with black pepper and salt as the rub ingredients.

Realtorfrog

Haven't been to Heim but I definitely will now!! Agree that BBQ on the Brazos is my favorite in the NTX area but I'll take Cooper's in Llano as my TX fave with Kreuz a close second.

Has anyone been to Snow's in Lexington?

Frogcrates

The rub difference is interesting and you're right about more spice in Fort Worth. It seems like the Cen-Tex group keeps it pretty simple with black pepper and salt as the rub ingredients.
I actually prefer the spice up here. As long as it is kept subtle and not taken overboard, it adds depth and complexity that is missing in CenTex BBQ (wait, are talking about wine now?). Just as long as it isn't taken too far and you end up with KC BBQ or Southeastern "BBQ" where the meat just gets masked by a whole bunch of extra and unnecessary stuff.

What's really exciting is the potential in combining the Jedi-level skill in the Austin area at bringing out the best of the meat and making it as tender as butter with Fort Worth's rubs that add more dimension and keep it from being flat (which is my one complaint about CenTex BBQ when they're not at their best).

wes

KIllerfrog Emeritus
I actually prefer the spice up here. As long as it is kept subtle and not taken overboard, it adds depth and complexity that is missing in CenTex BBQ (wait, are talking about wine now?). Just as long as it isn't taken too far and you end up with KC BBQ or Southeastern "BBQ" where the meat just gets masked by a whole bunch of extra and unnecessary stuff.

What's really exciting is the potential in combining the Jedi-level skill in the Austin area at bringing out the best of the meat and making it as tender as butter with Fort Worth's rubs that add more dimension and keep it from being flat (which is my one complaint about CenTex BBQ when they're not at their best).

BBQ can definitely be flat.

An interesting rub is to take various peppercorns and cocoa nibs, put them into a pepper mill and grind away over the meat. Add some salt and thats it.

The cocoa nibs are just roasted cocoa beans that are broken into small pieces but when you make them part of a rub, a whole new world of flavor erupts on your palate. Its not chocolatey, but leaves you guessing as to what that was. No one ever guesses cocoa nibs

Dogfrog

Heim is currently best in FW. And centex BBQ is great, my favorite is City Market in Luling. Been to all the Lockhart places but never got to Snows. Not gonna throw Angelo's under the bus however. Every joint does some things well. Need to work on consistency with brisket but like their ribs and sandwiches. Ever know anybody who moved away and immediately starts telling you how much better it is where they moved as if they are trying to convince themselves?

Hoosierfrog

Tier 1
I feel your pain. There are pockets of good BBQ around the country but this is the largest concentration of great brisket, ribs, etc, in the world, right here in good old TX.

By the way, I did find a better than decent BBQ in Melbourne, Australia last year. He had come to TX and studied with one of the masters, then came back to Melbourne and started a business. Took him some time to find the right wood but for Aussie BBQ, it aint bad.

I have lived in California, Connecticut, Illinois, Oklahoma. Louisiana and Indiana new have been in most states. KC and the Carolinas brag about their BBQ, but they tend to get insulted when I say there is only one pure style and that is Texas BBQ. None of this vinegar based sauce they have in the Carolinas that uses only pork. Don't even get me started on chili with spaghetti in it..

The Colonel

No it doesn't. My office is 10 mins from Lockhart and I don't think any of the 4 in Lockhart are that great. I think Salt Lick is overrated as is Louie Mueller in Taylor and the Luling spots as well.

The best place I think in the Austin area is Milt's in Kyle. And Le Barbeque...its a food truck with ridiculous brisket. Plus Coppers just opened a spot in downtown Austin and it's just like Llano in terms of quality.

My wife is from La Grange and has talked ish about Fort Worth BBQ and how it doesn't compare to Central TX. We finally went to Lockhart last week had lunch at Kreuz. Wasn't that impressed and don't understand the hype other than the history. Can't even use a fork...

Frog-in-law1995

It might be barbecue heresy, but the best barbecue chicken I have ever eaten was my Father's and he cooked in on a spit. Something to even distribution of the meat. I really don't care how people cook it be it on a spit, over an open pit, closed pit, fast and hot, or low and slow. All I care is when the brisket is done it be moist and there be the smoke flavor. No smoke flavor it is basically grilled meat with sauce.

Sauce?

Purp

A lot of people like to complain about Salt Lick, saying it's a tourist trap serving mediocre BBQ and only getting by on its name and atmosphere.

I loved it, thought it was a great place with very good meat. We had to wait a while, but if I recall, it was BYOB, so we just sat around and drank beer and played yard games.
Driftwood location is definitely better than Round Rock, but I definitely liked it. Had great brisket and ribs the times I've been.

Also really enjoyed the BYOB. I wish every restaurant would do this. My bills would shrink a ton!

Also had a remarkable blackberry cobbler a la mode there. I didn't save room for dessert, but the bite I had was so damned good I ordered one for myself and killed it anyway.