• The KillerFrogs

Are We Underestimating the Big East's Pull

2themax

No one is mentioning that the state of Tx is pretty rich in bb talent, so with the Frogs located and recruiting here should eventually be an advantage like our fb program . They have to get the recruiters though. I believe this will be the edge they need to compete in the Beast of the East. Players will now have a choice to play in the Big 12(10), SEC, or Big East. BE has to be a little more prestigious, don't you think?

ricksterh

Dad was a freshman in '43 the same year Wooden left to go to war.
Wow. I didn't know what year your dad was there. I also don't know who the coach was when Coach Wooden left for war in 43. I did know Coach McCall who replaed Coach Wooden when he left for Indaina State in the 50's.

Your dad was the beat writer for the FWST for our 68 team my senior year that won the SWC and went to the Final 8 in the NCAA. He and I used to talk all the time and I always enjoyed our conversations.

My famiy moved to Richardson where I finished playing hs ball so I was listed as being from there so it never came up that I was from South Bend like your dad was. I'm sorry that nevr came up between us.

oldscribe will remember those days! :biggrin:

oldscribe was involved with the FWST and will remember those days.

FeistyFrog

Sir FeistyFrog
Wow. I didn't know what year your dad was there. I also don't know who the coach was when Coach Wooden left for war in 43. I did know Coach McCall who replaed Coach Wooden when he left for Indaina State in the 50's.

Your dad was the beat writer for the FWST for our 68 team my senior year that won the SWC and went to the Final 8 in the NCAA. He and I used to talk all the time and I always enjoyed our conversations.

My famiy moved to Richardson where I finished playing hs ball so I was listed as being from there so it never came up that I was from South Bend like your dad was. I'm sorry that nevr came up between us.

oldscribe will remember those days! :biggrin:

He wasn't a beat writer for the FWST or any newpaper.....not sure how we got crossed on that.

PhillyFrog

"They will come" is referring to prospects, not fans.

It's an easier sell to a prospect if you have great facilities. That's not rocket science.

I'm certainly not saying it's impossible to get good gets without a new facility. But it makes it harder for sure.

Build it and they will come. If they come anyway, build it to keep them there.

froginaustin

MSG + the fact that 8 teams half of the league is now in the top 25 TCU has to be able to use that to their advantage!
It's the Baylor Football recruiting fallacy if we rely too much on our conference mates for our basketball reputation. In the end, we have to find and sign players that can compete with our conference big brothers. The players won't find us no matter what conference we're in.

I have to hope that our administration and high-dollar supporters have an informed opinion as to whether or not our dated-looking but 100% functional basketball house will scare top drawer recruits away; and if so, when and how much upgrading is a good idea.

And by the way, I'm in favor of continued suckitude if the alternative involves recruiting the way (unsubstantiated rumors have it :ph34r: ) that Scott Drew does at Baylor.

ATXFrog

"They will come" is referring to prospects, not fans.

It's an easier sell to a prospect if you have great facilities. That's not rocket science.

I'm certainly not saying it's impossible to get good gets without a new facility. But it makes it harder for sure.

Build it and they will come. If they come anyway, build it to keep them there.

What is not great about our facilities? Didn't we build Practice Courts not to long ago??
I just assumed that weight rooms and other stuff would be top notch..

DMC may not look good without any fans but it sure does get loud when it's filled.
It's atmosphere was amazing during big games in Tubbs era.. I think prospects want that.

2themax

It's the Baylor Football recruiting fallacy if we rely too much on our conference mates for our basketball reputation. In the end, we have to find and sign players that can compete with our conference big brothers. The players won't find us no matter what conference we're in.

Baylor's fb woes are rumored to be the result of a lack of support from it's school admn & alumni. Don't think TCU will EVER have that problem. Besides, Big12(10) teams have used their conf pitch against TCU for years when recruiting fb players

2themax

Any good bb recruiting blogs that are reliable out there? Would be nice to know if TCU is even getting at least a whiff of some of the upcoming players.

masterfrog

Any good bb recruiting blogs that are reliable out there? Would be nice to know if TCU is even getting at least a whiff of some of the upcoming players.
The problem with these recruiting services as it applies to TCU basketball is that their scouts in Eastern Europe don't do a great job covering our recruits.

2themax

Have been a Big East bb fan for many years. My observation is they have a bunch of teams that will not only grind you down but also grind you up. It's a very physical league where offense is secondary and defense is king. Every once in awhile they have a scorer(Iverson,Anthony). Not pretty bb like the ACC. Where are we gonna find players who can thrive in this style of play?

Endless Purple

The difference in using the Baylor football fallacy:

A Texas FB player wanting in the Big 12 can choose Baylor or go just down the street to Austin or College Station.

A Texas BB player wanting in the BE can choose TCU or go just 1000 miles down the street to another school.

WVUFan

Well congrats because you will be playing in MSG you now hate TIM HIGGINS = worst ref ever. (Blew the RU vs SJ game today and many others)

2themax

A Texas FB player wanting in the Big 12 can choose Baylor or go just down the street to Austin or College Station.

A Texas BB player wanting in the BE can choose TCU or go just 1000 miles down the street to another school.

That's what I'm talkin bout!!

masterfrog

There is another fallacy at work in your logic. You think a kid being recruited by Baylor for football has a chance to sign with Texas and Texas A&M. That is not usually the case.

Texas Otto

That is the point I was trying to make. There are allot of high school hoos stars in every state that watch the Big East and dream someday of playing in the Big East and TCU is the only place in TX the kid can stay close to home and play in the best hoops conference in the world!

Endless Purple

There is another fallacy at work in your logic. You think a kid being recruited by Baylor for football has a chance to sign with Texas and Texas A&M. That is not usually the case.
not a mistake in my logic. The good players are going to UT and A&M which is why Baylor is not getting them (or most likely even attempting to recruit them).

The original idea was that Baylor would have a shot at getting the big names in Texas because they are in the Big 12, and they don't. Which is the reality of it, thus the Baylor fallacy.