• The KillerFrogs

Are We Underestimating the Big East's Pull

2themax

I know most everyone one is beside themselves when it comes TCU football and baseball. But is it too early to start thinking about the implications of our soon to be new conference and the recruiting potential for basketball? Although fb is our 1st love, won't bb be the rump-shaking money maker for our athletic program? I think best case scenario is the Frogs become at least a regional (Tx Ok La NM AZ)recruiting powerhouse, butting heads with UT and BU. Am I being too ambitious? Most will probably take issue with the present coahing staff, but again, finding a good coach for a BE team from Tx shouldn't be difficult if it was necessary. I'm one to believe that Tx hs kids will want to see how their game stacks up to that of the storied east coast's.

HG73

Agree. We only need two really good players. Then our present coaching staff is much better.:biggrin: Or we can attract better coaches.

halfwaytoheaven

We can't just count on the allure of the Big East affiliation to draw in recruits; after all, every other team in the conference has that, and being the worst team in the Big East won't get us very far. Coaching, facilities, and whatever else we can do to improve our program will be required to be competitive. We're in the big leagues now, and we're going to have to step up our game.

In related news, it was nice to see some semblance of a student section at tonight's basketball game. It wasn't much, but a handful of rowdies yelling at the opposing bench never hurts.

sandiegojack

I watched some of the game on TV today between Syracuse and Georgetown. If TCU does not get some big strong inside players, it is going to get REAL ugly in a couple years. Some of the inside players in that conference are really big and strong

arlington

NO...No...No...The Draw of the Big east is not going to help us at all. Basketball may be the most nomadic of all the sports. These kids have spent years on travel teams so much so that Texas kids who want to play in the Big East are just as likely to just go to Pitt as they are to come to TCU to stay "close." We have terrible hoops tradition and poor facilities, both of which can be overcome with a coach and a style that kids want to actually spend 4 years playing but we dont offer that either.

2themax

NO...No...No...The Draw of the Big east is not going to help us at all. Basketball may be the most nomadic of all the sports. These kids have spent years on travel teams so much so that Texas kids who want to play in the Big East are just as likely to just go to Pitt as they are to come to TCU to stay "close." We have terrible hoops tradition and poor facilities, both of which can be overcome with a coach and a style that kids want to actually spend 4 years playing but we dont offer that either.

I must agree that we're oversimplifying, but being able to stay in Tx and play in the BE has to be good for something. You're right about recruiting and the facilities though. Hopefully JC can crack those bb leagues in recruiting and get the ball rolling a little. Have to admit that I'm not ready to give up on him yet,cause I like his style of play.

HG73

Still think we'll get much better players who can stay home and play in Madison Square Garden in the #1 basketball league in the country. DMC will be packed. If we need another coach, well, he won't be hard to find either. If baylor can be successful in the big12 then we can do it in the BigEast.

ricksterh

Basketball at TCU has had very inconsistent success but those of us who have been involved when it was successful know that the DNC can reaaly rock if the Frogs put a team on the floor that is fun and wins. The fans will not come out at TCU until that happens but when it does DMC can be great. Cameron Indoor is a dump but a classic dump. When (not if but when) basketball starts rocking and rolling at TCU a little tweking might be in order but the DMC is fine.

As far as Coach C the man is a winner and if any of you have seen his practices he is an excellent teacher. He also is a fine person who meets the quality of the standards to represent what TCU as a school is all about.

imo he needs to tweak his coachiing staff. Right now he has guys from Ohio who are good people and not bad coaches but he needs to adjust his staff to bring in atleast a couple coaches who can recruit Texas and the US especially around Texas but mainly to bring in more players who are both excellent solid players but also good people who want to be part of going to school and playing ball for TCU.

Portland Frog

There certainly is no guarantee BE affiliation will lead to better results. We all hope so, but DePaul's fans thought the same and they are still waiting.

ricksterh

we will agree to disagree. Put a team on the floor at TCU and they will come, not the other way around.

As I have said Cameron Indoor is a dump and Duke has one of the better home courts in the country and one of the toughest places for the visitor to get a win. UCLA was a dump when John Wooden coached the Bruins to 10 nc's in a row. Pitt was not that great unitl Jamie Dixon helped buidl them into a winner.

I grew up in Indiana back in the 50's and the movie Hoosiers atmosphere. That movie was a combination of Indiana hs history in the 50's. John Wooden coached at South Bend Central in the early 50's and the schools gym was so small you had to put your foot up against the wall to take the ball out of bounds. What he built as a team at Central and after he left for Indiana State a coach named Elmer McCall led the Central Bears to Indiana state hs championships in 53 and 57. I played against Central in that gym. A few yoears before me I think Feisty's dad played on some of those Central teams. Again its not the gym that makes a difference at TCU but put a team and the floor and they will come, not the other way around. Been there, done that. :biggrin:

FeistyFrog

Sir FeistyFrog
I played against Central in that gym. A few yoears before me I think Feisty's dad played on some of those Central teams. Again its not the gym that makes a difference at TCU but put a team and the floor and they will come, not the other way around. Been there, done that. :biggrin:

Dad was a freshman in '43 the same year Wooden left to go to war.

WVUFan

There certainly is no guarantee BE affiliation will lead to better results. We all hope so, but DePaul's fans thought the same and they are still waiting.

Depaul really does not care about basketball to much. They wanted to be in the BE so they could be more affiliated with ND. They just committed to a new coach this year and the BB team is a lot better. Why they are not that good is they don't really care for to be good.