• The KillerFrogs

Apparently Houston is “Considering” Going After Holgersen...lol

LVH

That was a good laugh. Almost has to be satire, right?

If baseball mattered one lick when it comes to conference additions, Fresno State and Coastal Carolina would be in P5 leagues.

Basketball doesnt even really matter either. Unless you are a blue blood, with blue blood being defined as Kansas, Kentucky, UCLA, North Carolina, Duke, and Indiana. Those are the only 6 programs in basketball that would move the needle. See: UConn. They are in no mans land despite winning 4 titles in the past 20 years.

Houston basketball team is 13-0 but against a bottom 25 strength of schedule. KenPom only has them at 32 despite being 13-0. Several 4 loss teams and even a 5 loss team is ahead of them.

Fosterpark Squatter

If baseball mattered one lick when it comes to conference additions, Fresno State and Coastal Carolina would be in P5 leagues.

Basketball doesnt even really matter either. Unless you are a blue blood, with blue blood being defined as Kansas, Kentucky, UCLA, North Carolina, Duke, and Indiana. Those are the only 6 programs in basketball that would move the needle. See: UConn. They are in no mans land despite winning 4 titles in the past 20 years.

Houston basketball team is 13-0 but against a bottom 25 strength of schedule. KenPom only has them at 32 despite being 13-0. Several 4 loss teams and even a 5 loss team is ahead of them.
Vilanova not even "P5". Not sure if joining one for bball only would even help the Big East may have a good tv contract.

Ron Swanson

I don’t like UH but if I’m honest my real worry is I just think adding a sixth Texas based P5 school is a huge mistake, whoever it is. Some of us old timers watched the SWC cannibalize itself into oblivion with 8 Texas members plus Arkansas. You will notice that most highly successful conferences are made up of members that dominate their state or maybe share with one in-state member. I get it that Texas has a bunch of players but many of the very best are going out of state. The abundance of P5 in Texas waters down recruiting and waters down individual game viewership. So liking Houston or not is really secondary IMO.
Right but you can’t blame UH for trying to get into a P5 conference. I don’t think it reeks of desperation, they are just doing what’s best for them.

It would be pathetic if they didn’t do all they could.

flyfishingfrog

Frank Solich says hello.
Solich won only 1 conference title in 1999 - two years removed from a National Championship by the greatest coach in Nebraska history - never follow the legend

and it was 4 years of missing even playing in the conference title game and watching KSU s d Colorado (hard to imagine today) going in your place before he got fired

So while we all realize they probably fired a good coach - they still viewed themselves as a national title contender given they had won it in the last decade (in their minds)

Not exactly USC at the moment in any sense of the word

For example - the guy who follows Saban won’t last 5 years...

Riley is an anomaly really

PurplFrawg

Administrator
Solich won only 1 conference title in 1999 - two years removed from a National Championship by the greatest coach in Nebraska history - never follow the legend
and it was 4 years of missing even playing in the conference title game and watching KSU s d Colorado (hard to imagine today) going in your place before he got fired

Your goal posts are moving. You said, "schools don’t fire coaches that win games and conferences - especially to give the job to a guy that got fired from his last HC job because he couldn’t win crap. "

Solich won the Big 12 title in 1999 (12-1) as well as the Fiesta Bowl, then went on to win 2 more division titles in 2000 and 2001 (10-2, 11-2) winning the Alamo Bowl but losing the Rose Bowl. In 2003, he was fired with a 9-3 record and the team went on to play in the Rose Bowl. I would submit that he won a lot of games, as well as a conference title, and two more division titles in the short span of 6 seasons. His teams at Nebraska were 58-19 and went bowling every year he was there. His winning percentage of .753 is third all time at Nebraska, and not terribly far behind Devaney at .829 and Osborne at .836.

They turned the reins over to Bill Callahan, who had been fired from his last coaching job (Raiders) for going 4-12, which pretty much meets your criteria for not winning crap.

SuperTFrog

Your goal posts are moving. You said, "schools don’t fire coaches that win games and conferences - especially to give the job to a guy that got fired from his last HC job because he couldn’t win crap. "

Solich won the Big 12 title in 1999 (12-1) as well as the Fiesta Bowl, then went on to win 2 more division titles in 2000 and 2001 (10-2, 11-2) winning the Alamo Bowl but losing the Rose Bowl. In 2003, he was fired with a 9-3 record and the team went on to play in the Rose Bowl. I would submit that he won a lot of games, as well as a conference title, and two more division titles in the short span of 6 seasons. His teams at Nebraska were 58-19 and went bowling every year he was there. His winning percentage of .753 is third all time at Nebraska, and not terribly far behind Devaney at .829 and Osborne at .836.

They turned the reins over to Bill Callahan, who had been fired from his last coaching job (Raiders) for going 4-12, which pretty much meets your criteria for not winning crap.
Solich was great and he got screwed. I LOVE it when programs fire guys because they get tired of winning 9-10 games a year and think they should be winning 12 and then the next coach proceeds to destroy the program. If Michigan goes 9-3 next year and loses to OSU they will fire Harbaugh. Granted, he hasn’t even won his division at Michigan, let alone a conference championship.

flyfishingfrog

You are aware Callahan took the Raiders to the Super Bowl the year before and was fired for intentionally sabotaging the 2003 season to get better draft picks because he didn’t like the veterans and wanted a younger team to build a dynasty? That is not exactly not winning crap as a coach - just ask Jason Garrett...

I admit I should have stated that the not firing winning coaches rule should exclude delusional schools who have recently won a national championship and unreasonably think they should win another immediately ..like Nebraska after Osborne retired or LSU with Miles. I would guess if OU had won one since 2000, even Lincoln would be getting pressure to do more than just make the CFP

But USC is not in that situation and I don’t see how anyone would seriously think if Helton manages to use Coach Bro to win another PAC title in the next 2 years, especially if it gets them in the CFP this time - that they are going to give his job to a guy that has NEVER been a coach in any role of a team that has ever won a conference title ? NEVER won a conference title, even as an assistant or QC coach?