• The KillerFrogs

Apparently Houston is “Considering” Going After Holgersen...lol

Well yeah. In hindsight and knowing the back story made it plausible. How many here took it seriously out of the gate without knowing all the details? I Curted this one.
Meh. Your post and the event happened to be very close in time. I’m sure we all have some bold predictions/statement archived here that have not aged well

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
If true then Kliff made a mistake if he really wants to be an HC again

He needs to prove he can win as the head man, not an OC - he already did that at Aggy regardless of who he had in his team but showed he was not ready for the big job yet at Tech
Naah. Kliffy will do just fine out in LA, and he will always be mentioned as an available candidate for whatever Big Job comes up. Going to UH would yield him some of Tilman's cash, but he would not be in a situation where he looked great every year.

FrogLifeYo

If true then Kliff made a mistake if he really wants to be an HC again

He needs to prove he can win as the head man, not an OC - he already did that at Aggy regardless of who he had in his team but showed he was not ready for the big job yet at Tech
Kliff is the coach in waiting at USC....100% guaranteed he will be introduced as the new USC coach within 2 years

FrogLifeYo

Why are you so confident in that?
Its been reported that there is a ton of pressure on Lynn Swan to fire Helton. However USC has always wanted to make hires that have familiarity with the program. A lot of sources believe that boosters wanted Kliff as soon as he was fired and and as a compromise he was brought in as OC with the HC of the future role promised on the down low. It would be much easier to make him HC after a year or two in the Trojan family

flyfishingfrog

I bet he goes to the nfl before he ever gets the head coach job at USC

His only hope for that is they turn into Cal under Dykes and start putting up 50+ but can’t win because they give up 60

Otherwise they either turn the program around overall and the pressure to fire their current HC evaporates or the entire staff is gone in two years

No one will want to promote a losing OC that also lost before when he was a HC

flyfishingfrog

If your looking for a reason to fire a HC wins and losses won’t get in the way...
Maybe in whatever world you live in - but outside of LSU and Miles, schools don’t fire coaches that win games and conferences - especially to give the job to a guy that got fired from his last HC job because he couldn’t win crap even with a guy at QB that is tearing up the NFL one year removed from your program

Wexahu

Its been reported that there is a ton of pressure on Lynn Swan to fire Helton. However USC has always wanted to make hires that have familiarity with the program. A lot of sources believe that boosters wanted Kliff as soon as he was fired and and as a compromise he was brought in as OC with the HC of the future role promised on the down low. It would be much easier to make him HC after a year or two in the Trojan family

It's amazing how certain coaches develop reputations that FAR exceed their accomplishments. KK was pretty much a failure at the one head coaching position he had. Yeah, talk about the offense all you want, but football isn't just offense. His teams always cratered late in the season and didn't play physical at all. I have a feeling if he looked like Gary Patterson noone would want him, and he certainly wouldn't be interviewing for NFL head coaching jobs.

Holgerson is another one I'd put on this list, but to a lesser extent. He has more skins on the wall and seems to be not quite so much in demand.

cheese83

I bet he goes to the nfl before he ever gets the head coach job at USC

His only hope for that is they turn into Cal under Dykes and start putting up 50+ but can’t win because they give up 60

Otherwise they either turn the program around overall and the pressure to fire their current HC evaporates or the entire staff is gone in two years

No one will want to promote a losing OC that also lost before when he was a HC

Difference is he can bring in the big time defensive talent he couldn’t at Tech if he’s at USC. Imagine the weapons on offense too with a Mahomes like QB. I think he could be very successful there.